• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M1000 Ascender

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
I value his lol more than a hater opinion cuz I know exactly what he meant.

Number one complaint I hear from other brand riders trying our sleds on the hill is how the hell do you keep the skis down.

Lol in no way invalidates an opinion.
Beats being a prick.
Dear Mr. Idaho Potato head aka IDspud,
You are incorrect once again, I am not a hater. In fact, I own an Arctic Cat ascender.
I’ve stripped the sled down to nothing, engine out, alpha wobble skid to a Kmod twin rail, custom machined gears-22/72, skidoo primary machined to Cat taper, Paragon secondary, machined jackshaft to make it all work, changed track, 7t drivers, made custom bushings for the steering(I have the tightest steering in the whole wide world haha) and a chit load of other things. Unlike you, I kinda know what I’m talking about.
I’m far from a hater. I am sharing my experience so others can benefit.
Anyways, I’m better than you in all ways, have a larger member and you are an angry individual. I recommend new medication and counseling. Love Kanedog haha sick burn ??

1456499B-9299-4724-9B07-DA09A9BC69A1.jpeg 89F25D97-6187-4799-86DD-24D2FF45A9FA.jpeg

Last edited:

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Kane

Not sure your obsession with me,

I was not referring to you!!!!

I was saying I like guys that can comment with humor more than pricks.

Same with non cat riders.

Wasn’t talking about you.

I was talking about non cat riders.

It was a general statement.
Had nothing to do with you personally.

PSI 800

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 1, 2015
north west british columbia
I think, go for it. If guys can shoe horn triples or 4strokes turbos into the polaris pro and axys chassis, a large twin into the asender chassis cant be that bad to do. old big blocks in new chassis are pretty cool.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
when you do mods that make the sled heavier and slower like kane (sorry bro?) you end up with a heavy pig. Get beat by stock units. thats the fine line youd want to avoid with the 1000. Id be looking to put the 16/17 team clutches on it. Light, inexpensive belt options that last, no gimmicky roller bearing squeaks plus i think youd really need adjustable deflection with a motor swap.

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Man, must be a heat wave in the mountain state...no one making the Christmas Card list on this thread.

That said, as for the built, if you are capable and have the parts, why not try! If doubters had their way, we'd still be riding 1970 style snowmobiles. I've been on this forum too long maybe...some famous, passionate opinions: 2 strokes can't be turbod...you will never have a good running pump gas turbo....pump gas turbos are a waste of time...156" track is way to long to ever work in the powder...rider forward chassis is dumb trend that won't last...Cat will regret going away from Suzuki...the new sled colors suck (every year by the same dudes). Yeah, I thought the M1000 was a bit more nose heavy...rode one for several years...but it wasn't that bad. Really liked the power and potential with a little tuning. Turbo M1000 in a new chassis sounds pretty dang cool to me...and what a blast to build and ride. Would be cool to see!

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Still collecting parts for the build, picked up a brand new chassis harness for a 2014 (matches M1000 ECU) and a new SLP M1000 pipe from local former Arctic Cat dealers obsolete parts bin. 250$ for both. Pipe will be cut up to fit chassis to try N/A lighter weight build first. Personally was never a huge fan of the SLP setup on these engines but I know some of you guys liked it and would like some tuning info and if someone has a PCV map for it they could share I would be grateful. This will have stock M1000 primary to start and will be using the Team secondary. Might get a Team primary machined to fit crank at a later date. Anyone in Western Canada that can do that?

bgraff1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Lloydminster, Alberta
id do the D&D 1200 big bore before i did a turbo. keep the weight down, crazy torque and no lag. ive ridden a 1200 and a turbo 1200 and they are wild, although it will probably rattle the chassis apart

spoon

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
If I could get an electric start to fit I would do the 1200, otherwise no. Had a 1200 turbo already. Was necessary to have a Billet recoil handle for cold starting. And a few good friends. More than a few times it took 2 of us pulling over cold to get fuel pump primed so it would fire. Once even had to lay a heat gun on motor for 10 minutes to even get it to pull over faster than 10 RPM. Converted back to 1000 and my friends called more often to go riding.

bgraff1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Lloydminster, Alberta
If I could get an electric start to fit I would do the 1200, otherwise no. Had a 1200 turbo already. Was necessary to have a Billet recoil handle for cold starting. And a few good friends. More than a few times it took 2 of us pulling over cold to get fuel pump primed so it would fire. Once even had to lay a heat gun on motor for 10 minutes to even get it to pull over faster than 10 RPM. Converted back to 1000 and my friends called more often to go riding.
i cant argue that one bit. luckily it was out of a heated shop/trailer 95% of the time. we also had a jumper made so we could fire the fuel pump with a 9v battery to build pressure prior to ripping your arms off lol

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
The cool thing about a custom turbo build is that you can mount it high.to save space down low...run a snorkel out top like you want to anyway for the short intake and cool air.

spoon

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Cody Hunt built a M1000T alpha, not sure where it is now or how well it ran but it was on the snow in 2021.
Thanks, found it on Facebook but no update after it was running. Back in 2012 Michael Sherwood took his 1200cc 400 HP turbo setup from his Lil Orange Cat M1000 and transplanted it into a brand new 2012 Proclimb 162. I bought the old chassis and put a 300 HP turbo 1000 engine back into it. He wasn't quite done when I was there but he had it on snow soon after. The build can be found here https://www.snowest.com/forum/threads/shop-and-mbms-proclimb-1200.280224/

Daltech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 25, 2008
North Norway
You can`t retaper the 800cc team clutch to fit the 1000 crank. The 1000 tap is longer if I remember correct, making the offset way off. I think you would need a clutch from the newer Yami turbo 4S to make it work (King cat/Thundercat AKA Sidewinder) to make it work. They seems to have the same kinda offset as the M1000 clutch.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
You can`t retaper the 800cc team clutch to fit the 1000 crank. The 1000 tap is longer if I remember correct, making the offset way off. I think you would need a clutch from the newer Yami turbo 4S to make it work (King cat/Thundercat AKA Sidewinder) to make it work. They seems to have the same kinda offset as the M1000 clutch.
Sounds like you had some fun with clutch tapers!

spoon

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Thank you for the info. Will use the 1000 clutch for now. Did you ever get the one you were working on dialed in and finished? Did the D&D pipe work good?

Premium Features