• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lynx vs Summit

K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon
Did you know of anybody that waited till February to get their lynx? I personally never heard of a single delay with people getting lynx this year. Whereas i canceled my skidoo one that still wouldnt have arrived by now. I know someone who smoked the entire front end of their lynx this winter and had all the parts within a week or so. Not saying it will be better, but i can't see it being any worse than skidoo currently. Lynx will have less units on the snow here in the west than skidoo obviously, so my thoughts will be less parts being in constant demand by dealers etc. Just my thoughts though, who knows

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I don't, everyone here seemed to have got them just before Christmas including myself ( apparently it came in in October or November but had no gauges ). That said I only know of like 2 other ones here. Which is still kind of delayed from normal but didn't snow till then anyway.

I munched the front of my lynx on a tree, Dealer had the Lynx aftermarket bumper in stock Explorer or whatever. The plastic bits I broke are on backorder for 3-4 weeks though...So I kind of just fixed them myself for now.

My problem/annoyance is there is no way to order Lynx OEM parts online at all from what I can tell. Like Ski doo's online ordering just ships from whatever dealer has the part you need....lynx doesn't seem to have that. Driving to the dealer to have them order a piece of plastic for me is annoying to me.

If I didn't just buy a 2022 for this season I would probably get the new 2023 lynx DS. I like to ride my toys for at least 5 years before I change.

Last edited:

mntnguide

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
Jackson, WY
I don't, everyone here seemed to have got them just before Christmas including myself ( apparently it came in in October or November but had no gauges ). That said I only know of like 2 other ones here. Which is still kind of delayed from normal but didn't snow till then anyway.

I munched the front of my lynx on a tree, Dealer had the Lynx aftermarket bumper in stock Explorer or whatever. The plastic bits I broke are on backorder for 3-4 weeks though...So I kind of just fixed them myself for now.

My problem/annoyance is there is no way to order Lynx OEM parts online at all from what I can tell. Like Ski doo's online ordering just ships from whatever dealer has the part you need....lynx doesn't seem to have that. Driving to the dealer to have them order a piece of plastic for me is annoying to me.

If I didn't just buy a 2022 for this season I would probably get the new 2023 lynx DS. I like to ride my toys for at least 5 years before I change.
I'm excited to try the shredder ds turbo next winter. Been on skidoo forever, but ready for something a little different. Happy to have the etec motor reliability, and looking forward to the skid changes in the lynx for this year, especially with the 15" wide track. Have heard great things about what they did with the shredder from the few i know who have rode it this winter. Hopefully we actually get a winter in western Wyoming next year, kinda glad my snowcheck got delayed so bad i canceled, otherwise i probably wouldn't get the lynx this next winter.

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
Anyone know if the lynx has less ground clearance? From all the pictures it looks to sit lower, the attack angle on the track looks really low which is a bonus.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Did you know of anybody that waited till February to get their lynx? I personally never heard of a single delay with people getting lynx this year. Whereas i canceled my skidoo one that still wouldnt have arrived by now. I know someone who smoked the entire front end of their lynx this winter and had all the parts within a week or so. Not saying it will be better, but i can't see it being any worse than skidoo currently. Lynx will have less units on the snow here in the west than skidoo obviously, so my thoughts will be less parts being in constant demand by dealers etc. Just my thoughts though, who knows

I don't know of anyone that even ordered one. Great if they can get parts though. I think that my point was that dealers won't stock anything Lynx unless it is also Skidoo. So could be a wait if a breakdown.

mntnguide

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
Jackson, WY
I don't know of anyone that even ordered one. Great if they can get parts though. I think that my point was that dealers won't stock anything Lynx unless it is also Skidoo. So could be a wait if a breakdown.
Valid point..i know my dealer here had numerous lynx including a shop sled this year, so I'm hopeful they will focus on both.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Any idea why lynx list minimum Octane at 95?
This excerpt from an article seems to explain it. 95 in Europe = 90 in US:

The reason that European octane ratings seem higher than American ratings is because Europe, Japan and Australian only use the RON numbers. American and Canadian fuel uses an octane number derived from the average of the RON and the MON numbers. American fuel pumps have the designation R+M/2 to designation that the octane rating is RON plus MON divided by 2.

Simple math will show you that because of the 8 to 10 point difference of RON over MON, the octane rating shown on American fuel is approximately 5 points lower than the rating shown in Europe for the same fuel. In essence American 90-octane fuel would be the same as European 95 octane fuel.

Thus, regardless of where you live or the octane number on the pump, most unleaded fuel worldwide are the same. In Europe the number maybe 95, but it is no different than 90 octane fuel in America.

C
Mar 15, 2018
In my reading, I'm seeing that the Lynx has a 15" wide track, compared to the 16 on the Summit...

Both are 180 hp...

... does a guy jump on the Lynx due to the narrow track?

Ace
I am having a hard time imagining that 1/2" of track on either side could make any noticable difference in the way a sled rides, all other things being equal.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I am having a hard time imagining that 1/2" of track on either side could make any noticable difference in the way a sled rides, all other things being equal.
It makes a huge difference. Why do you think they had t motion and flex edge? Have you ever rode a firecat or phazer with 14 wide track? Go try and tip a sled up with 18 inch track. My buddy razzed me about being a polaris rider because I ordered a shredder. He got a expert 154 and said he didn't want to lose traction. I told him length gets him more traction than width. Go from wide to narrow on skis and tell me it doesn't make a difference. Only thing that sucks is it's still housed in wide tunnel. It is also the reason why there ski stance needs to be narrower. With t motion, flex edge, 36 inch stance and heavier, they rode lighter compared to an axys at 39. When polaris came with 36 react front end then the doo felt heavier. That is because they are heavier and that 16 wide track

jdog1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2007

Guys still waiting on lynx here.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
It makes a huge difference. Why do you think they had t motion and flex edge? Have you ever rode a firecat or phazer with 14 wide track? Go try and tip a sled up with 18 inch track. My buddy razzed me about being a polaris rider because I ordered a shredder. He got a expert 154 and said he didn't want to lose traction. I told him length gets him more traction than width. Go from wide to narrow on skis and tell me it doesn't make a difference. Only thing that sucks is it's still housed in wide tunnel. It is also the reason why there ski stance needs to be narrower. With t motion, flex edge, 36 inch stance and heavier, they rode lighter compared to an axys at 39. When polaris came with 36 react front end then the doo felt heavier. That is because they are heavier and that 16 wide track

"Huge difference?" That sounds like hyperbole. These top end sleds are all pretty close to each other, we are talking incremental differences:

- The Doo's 16 inch track's extra half of width on each side means it's about 3.3% wider than the Polaris track.

- As for weight:

2023 Summit Expert 154 w SHOT weighs 430 pounds dry

2022 Pro RMK Matryx Slash 155 w pull start weighs 419 dry = 11 pounds lighter than the Doo.

Add electric start to the Polaris and the Doo is lighter.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Also if you remember the xp which was pretty dang similar without t motion and flex edge. They were more of a 2 ski machine. They always wanted to wright themselves back flat. They climbed better than anything but not worth a darn sh!t holing. Buddy's always said bs. Couldn't tell them. You had to show them. Pretty humble when you came back. My all time favorite was to stop in front of them on a steep sidehill with consequences below. They would either roll or front would fall and then the fun really started. I was on an m sled. That is the woes of 16 wide. Everything has been compensation for that and gyro effect of high secondary ever since

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
"Huge difference?" That sounds like hyperbole. These top end sleds are all pretty close to each other, we are talking incremental differences:

- The Doo's 16 inch track's extra half of width on each side means it's about 3.3% wider than the Polaris track.

- As for weight:

2023 Summit Expert 154 w SHOT weighs 430 pounds dry

2022 Pro RMK Matryx Slash 155 w pull start weighs 419 dry = 11 pounds lighter than the Doo.

Add electric start to the Polaris and the Doo is lighter.
Take the blinders off. Your little engineering percentage doesn't equate to the real world. I ride everything. E start is heavy but you can take almost 14 pounds out of it. Apples to apples on a boost 165 vs. Expert 165 was 36 pounds. 22 to 22. Boost had 1.5 more gallons of fuel which i don't care because i get tired of that argument. I don't know if expert rides lighter because i haven't got to try 34 inch front end and pro boost feels like a boat anchor compared to kaos boost. Do your math on 1 inch longer shock on kaos boost vs pro. The difference is huge and i bet the percentage would show the same. Completely different sled

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
No blinders, just facts. Engineering and physics count.

Between Poo and Doo, rotating mass likely makes a bigger difference in handling than the small percentage difference in track width.

Poo uses a lighter belt drive instead of chain drive and it’s clutches sit lower in the sled. That decrease in rotating mass and it’s positioning means the Poo should be easier to change position.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
They don't always count on paper compared to real world. That is why engineers architecs etc. Should have a couple year internship in the real world before they get their license.
That belt drive is sugar water. I tested a stock 12 pro against a 13 demo back to back even switching riders multiple times and if you were blindfolded you wouldn't know what was chain or belt. That is real world not paper.
Like i say go ride somthing wider and narrower and see the difference. Go ride a kaos boos vs a pro boost. Feels like a 100 pound difference.
You are right on both getting really good and close. Generally not one big thing amymore. It's a whole bunch of little things.

C
Mar 15, 2018
They don't always count on paper compared to real world. That is why engineers architecs etc. Should have a couple year internship in the real world before they get their license.
That belt drive is sugar water. I tested a stock 12 pro against a 13 demo back to back even switching riders multiple times and if you were blindfolded you wouldn't know what was chain or belt. That is real world not paper.
Like i say go ride somthing wider and narrower and see the difference. Go ride a kaos boos vs a pro boost. Feels like a 100 pound difference.
You are right on both getting really good and close. Generally not one big thing amymore. It's a whole bunch of little things.
A couple comments but first, I am not dismissing anything you are saying, I just don't know. First, I can't respond to your "XP" comment as I have never ridden one. Second, Comparing a 15" track on a poo or another model of Doo, to my mind is pointless. The ONLY way to know is to take two otherwise identical sleds, one with a 16 wide and another 15 wide and ride them back to back on the same day in the same conditions. Regarding belt drive, I have never ridden one of those either and, again, you would have to ride two otherwise identical sleds, one belt and one chain on the same day in the same conditions to know what difference it make. In think much of this is dependent on the style and experience of the rider. Guys like Burrandt are as convinced that it makes a significant difference so much so that he is on record that he would never go back to a chain. Personally, not based on any real testing, I would be more inclined to think that the belt drive would be far more noticeable than the 15 wide track when it came to seat of the pants riding feel but that is just conjecture. Like the lighter rotating mass of the belt drive, if a 15 wide track was significantly lighter than the 16 wide then I would agree that it would make a noticeable difference in throttle response just like I believe the belt drive does but the track debate is not about that, it is about maneuverability. Interesting discussion at any rate.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
A couple comments but first, I am not dismissing anything you are saying, I just don't know. First, I can't respond to your "XP" comment as I have never ridden one. Second, Comparing a 15" track on a poo or another model of Doo, to my mind is pointless. The ONLY way to know is to take two otherwise identical sleds, one with a 16 wide and another 15 wide and ride them back to back on the same day in the same conditions. Regarding belt drive, I have never ridden one of those either and, again, you would have to ride two otherwise identical sleds, one belt and one chain on the same day in the same conditions to know what difference it make. In think much of this is dependent on the style and experience of the rider. Guys like Burrandt are as convinced that it makes a significant difference so much so that he is on record that he would never go back to a chain. Personally, not based on any real testing, I would be more inclined to think that the belt drive would be far more noticeable than the 15 wide track when it came to seat of the pants riding feel but that is just conjecture. Like the lighter rotating mass of the belt drive, if a 15 wide track was significantly lighter than the 16 wide then I would agree that it would make a noticeable difference in throttle response just like I believe the belt drive does but the track debate is not about that, it is about maneuverability. Interesting discussion at any rate.
It isn't pointless but not apples to oranges. Doo has been 16 wide 2003.5 so that is what you have to compare. That is why they had flex edge, tmotion and narrower than everyone. There is the high rotational mass because the revs didn't have it. Do you think they did this just because? Do you think there is a reason snowbikes tracks are narrower or is it just because. I've rode all this stuff. Maybe what big to me isn't to you but it's not some engineering math of 3.3%. People that haven't rode anything spout those numbers. Someone was telling people get a 23 over a 22 because changes will be huge and they will be but the math might only say a small% of change. Paper doesn't necessarily equate to real world. Engineers also take something simple and over think it. My wife is an engineer.

As far as belt drives, my buddy and i tested them back to back again and again even swapping sleds. They are not the gain everyone thinks they are or used to be years before. Seen a bunch of big bore that made more noise so they thought they were awesome and ran worse than stock. Funny to see the look on their face. Don't want to forget my all time favorite of this thing is really going to run when its broke in.

Everyone can have an opinion and it can be different. That's fine. Mine is based on experiences owhat i have rode not engineering math or i think

Premium Features