• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

LynQ? GPS locator.

dansvan

Premium Member
Apr 14, 2011
Hello all. So I’m curious. There’s this new product out for personal location called LynQ. My buddies and I are getting them for keeping track of each other while riding. Someone’s always getting separated and or stuck etc. The video says up to 12 people on unit at a time, 3 mile range, shows them being used in water and snow. I don’t think they would ever advertise them as emergency locator beacons, but... ? Thoughts? Experience with this type of technology? I think it could really cut down on search times, possibly being used with normal avy beacons.

dansvan

Premium Member
Apr 14, 2011
And a second rabbit hole journey. Avy bags with something like this incorporated? Pull the handle, bag inflates, balloon launches, buddies immediately know where you are.

Pickin’ Boogers

Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2013
For avalanche rescue, use the tools made for the purpose and by manufacturers who specialize in avalanche gear.

If you're thinking about this just for keeping track of riding partners, it might work, but why not use radios? Unlike a radio, this device doesn't have any way to communicate. If someone's in the trees just taking a dump, at least with a radio you wont freak out and start searching for them.

Devices already exist that combine both radio and GPS.

dansvan

Premium Member
Apr 14, 2011
Radios are great for letting each other know that you’re stuck or broke (or crapping), when you can talk or have reception. We all have radios. They absolutely suck for trying to find someone. I’ve had buddies ride by while I’m waving a red shovel. I did not say this should replace avy beacons. These are 100$ and going down in price. Not going to find a gps/radio for that. And most of us have BCA or baofeng type radios already. I’m more interested in the technology/accuracy.

dansvan

Premium Member
Apr 14, 2011
I should also note I live and ride in Ak. Huge swamps, huge mountains, just plain huge. Very easy to get “lost.” Lol you’re not lost, you know exactly where you are, you just can’t explain it to your buddies accurately enough to get them to you. Rape whistles can’t be heard that far, and when you hear your buddies riding by they might not hear you yelling on the mic “I hear you! I see you!”

dansvan

Premium Member
Apr 14, 2011
I hope to never use one for that. I am curious though which would be faster. We (my buddies and I) all carry avy beacons. Not trying to advocate replacing anything, just curious if this could enhance current practices.

jrlastofthebreed

It seemed like a good idea at the time
Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2016
Coeur d'Alene ID
I did some looking into this and i think itll be great! Its GPS based so may not work well in tight trees or deep canyons. Waterproof with a 24 hour battery life it ifs being used and 3 days mixed use. Problem is they just started making them august 1. Might be a while before us latecomers can get them. $100 each is a little steep in my opinion but Ill still prolly buy 3 or 4.

This is NOT a avy beacon and would not work in that situation. It has to see the sky. Its for the "im stuck" "im lost" "Where is everyone". And its way faster than radios. And since its passive you can keep tabs on someone without actually following them.

R
Sep 23, 2019
I agree with radios. Still our best tool for communication. So we would actually know if one in our team is severely injured or in danger. But radios are good if assuming we can all talk given a situation but for more dangerous routes maybe this would work especially if a member is not responding then you can just track him.

Pickin’ Boogers

Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2013
I already carry an avalanche beacon, a radio, and a satellite communicator. For now, I'll draw the line there.

TecCrash

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2017
Middleton, ID
I'm always on the look out for ways to see where all my buddies are, but the first question I asked of myself is how do these communicate locations to each other? GPS is only down from the satellite to the device to provide a location, how does it provide that to users. It appears it uses Mesh Networking like some of the Bluetooth Communicators.

Does LynQ use Mesh Networking?

LynQ Customer Support
August 06, 2019 12:47
FOLLOW
“Mesh” describes a type of topography used by some networks. In other words, mesh describes the manner networked devices (called nodes) communicate amongst one another. In most contemporary topologies, all nodes will connect to some central point or points which direct traffic to and from nodes. Alternately, in a mesh network nodes communicate directly with each other - in some cases only directly, and in others through other nodes. A LynQ network is the former, employing a topology called a fully connected mesh network. No traffic is passed through nodes to reach their endpoint, and every single device communicates with all other devices in its pairing group directly peer-to-peer.

Personally, I've not had good luck with the Mesh connectivity, the range is only good if from person to person to person.. YMMV ... Still on the quest to find a good way to do this without paying the high costs of Satellite Locators...

TecCrash

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Ordered a set of 3. Seems worth a try.

B
Nov 11, 2010
Salmon Arm BC
These look really cool for those times you get separated and exactly as stated above can't describe where you are and the situation isn't high risk enough to rattle off GPS coords over the radio. You and your buddy are playing in the trees and you haven't seen or heard him in 15 minutes so you call on the radio and he's stuck but needs help and is "over that other ridge in the trees 1/3 way down" or "yeah I heard your sled go back where you were 30sec ago and then go more left"

jrlastofthebreed

It seemed like a good idea at the time
Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2016
Coeur d'Alene ID
my group is running mesh headsets and are slowly switching over to voyager pro's so no need for the linq. I still think it it would work well in most real world situations though

Premium Features