• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Low operating temperatures

R

Ramond

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
Hey all, I have a 2015 KTM 450 SX-F with:
Raze heated bars & thermostat
Rev Up engine blankets
Radiator blocks
Full FMF exhaust
PR2 CDI on both map 3 & 7 set at 5,5,5

I can not get / hold temps in the powder, lowest I've seen was 45°F. Something is going on and I'm not sure what or why! On the trail I fot 220-230 hottest, I thought it could be the gauge until then. Any ideas on how to approach this issue?

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
Your temps are normal and common. In the powder the aluminum engine is an excellent heat exchanger. The aluminum gives up more heat than is produced when bathed in even a small amount of snow giving you the sub 100 temps. Also, with the thermostat closed cold coolant from the rads will fall in the hose to the case and warm will rise in the same hose at the same time. This transfer of heat by convection will cool the engine with the thermostat closed. Consistant temps are a challenge. Covering the engine and blocking the radiators in the powder will help. Then gotta pull rad covers on the trail.

What gauge are you using?

If it's a trailtech, they seem to jump to extreme colds when you hit deep dry powder. I'm not sure I believe the read out too much. Also I've noticed that their connection gets water in it easily, and that definitely contributes to sporadic readings. I've started un-connecting the gauge after each ride, blowing it out and letting it air dry throughout the week. Seems to help give me more consistent and accurate readings.

Bottom line - I don't worry too much about the extreme high/low spikes on the gauge as long as the bike is running good and the oil isn't getting diluted with fuel after each ride.

GKR

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
Hey Ramond, where is your temp sensor located? Some will use the rad fin style sensor which, while accurate for rad temp, is not accurate for engine temp. The reason is that if the thermostat is closed which it will be often in the powder, the coolant flow is shut off to the rads. When this occurs the rads cool right off and your temp sensor would indicate a very cold condition. Once the tstat opens the rad temp will start to rise but as the cold coolant goes back into the motor the tstat will close and the cycle continues. A much better option is to use the probe style temp sensor that goes into the tstat body on the engine side of the tstat. It will be accurate to the actual engine temp. Same flaw in the rad cap style temp gauges. When there was no tstat in the bike this was not an issue (summer use) but now that we have added tstat's this is a different situation.
Getting consistent temps is a challenge as stated above. Over the last few years of snowbiking this is where I have focused my time and have evolved my engine cover and rad blocking solutions to the point that I finally have good consistent temps in most all conditions. It does require monitoring temps and cycling rad blockers as needed but that is it. I now run all day in the 180-200F range and the bike performs best in this range. Most power, no overfueling, no moisture in the oil.
I started with home made engine blankets, hand made hard snow shields, common industry available engine blankets, pretty much tried them all. As things progressed I realized that complete closure was where I started to have great results. The cooling system on the bikes using the just the radiators is more than sufficient to keep the engine cool as long as they can flow air when they need to. I have seen many riders who ride in the powder, bike runs cold, then they get to the trail and the bike overheats. This is because the rads are iced over and air cannot flow through them. I see guys peeling off engine blankets, etc. thinking they are the cause of the overheat. Keeping the rads blocked and clear in the powder and then removing one or both blockers on the trail or in low snow conditions is the answer.
I have developed an engine cover that has been working fantastic and provides complete engine coverage, full frontal closure when needed, and gives tremendous access for service and repairs. I have been building them steady and refining the design over the last couple seasons to the point I am ready to hit the market. (soon) So far I haven't needed to, I can barely keep up as it is. You can see them in much more detail on my FB page, link in sig below. Here is a couple pics of the latest evolution.

IMG_7932.jpgIMG_1967.jpgIMG_7935.jpg

S
GKR - that looks really nice!
Ramond- The only thing I would add is that a radiator fan has worked well for me in addition to the engine blankets and other mods to keep snow out. Before the fan, I was constantly adjusting blankets and radiator block offs. Here's the Fan I used. https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/trail-tech-digital-radiator-fan-kit-p?s=1471978
The on and off temps can be adjusted. When I set them I calibrated it to the temps I was reading off the Thermobob gauge, not the radiator fin insert gauge.

Premium Features