• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lost Thermostat Retaining Ring in Coolant System

H
Aug 5, 2020
North Dakota
Replaced the head o-rings on my 2016 Pro 800 today and found that the little retaining ring was gone from the bottom of the thermostat and I can’t find it. I know these rings are really small but how worried should I be here? Do these usually damage the water pump impeller when lost?

H
Aug 5, 2020
North Dakota
Anyone have experience one way or the other with the tiny retaining ring on the thermostat falling into the coolant system and getting lost?

Trying to decide if I should tear things apart to try* to find it or just send it and bring a water pump cover, impeller and gaskets on trips this season. Ugh

Anyone?

gdn

Premium Member
Dec 29, 2012
SE So Dak
We actually had that happen once, found the ring in the cylinder water jacket. It did go thru the pump and put a small groove in the impeller and scratched the housing as it went around but it did not cause any real problems with cooling. You did put a new thermostat in though? Otherwise it won't open.

H
Aug 5, 2020
North Dakota
We actually had that happen once, found the ring in the cylinder water jacket. It did go thru the pump and put a small groove in the impeller and scratched the housing as it went around but it did not cause any real problems with cooling. You did put a new thermostat in though? Otherwise it won't open.
Thanks. This was a pointless thread. New stat and coolant yesterday and on the first start the impeller was already screwed.

Premium Features