• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lost electrical power

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Got an alpha or 19 ctec 800... That all of the sudden it lost electrical power, no headlight, guages, and acted like the tss was activated, the kill switch, tether, key worked, unplugged tss, no go, unplugged upper hood, checked fuses, swapped relays, . If I restarted it, I could run and move for like 5 seconds normally before it acted up /cut out again and only idle. I kept restarting it and moving it a bunch, Eventually everything started to flicker, gauge, headlight and the sled would for that moment rev up then cut out, Got lucky and eventually everything came on as normal and rode out... It was pitch black too.. however 2 codes p1003, p1004. p1004 stayed active.... Which i believe was from loss of electrical power, ran fine the last 30km never shut off, parked on truck, restarted and codes gone and hadn't mis behaved again...

I'd think it's some sort of electrical issue but not sure where to start. those 2 codes from googling would be the ecm saying pumps not going, and the other is idle air controller, and again to me would be front having now electrical power.

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
possibly a worn wire that is grounding out. i was just working on my 18 and theres a wire harness that goes over the ecu heat shield that was rubbing. Im not sure if in the fuse box they are relays or breakers but if there breakers could be tripping one then when shut off the breaker kicks back allowing it to work for a bit. shot in the dark anyways

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Idle was not low, it would idle normal, and will check wiring, on FB a guy mentioned the brake light wiring perhaps shorting. No circuit breakers in the little fuse/relay box,

I'm very surprised though that once it acted up but then came back that over 30km of trail riding and whoops it never missed a beat again ?.

Clark42

Lifetime Membership
Jun 3, 2016
Washington
Got an alpha or 19 ctec 800... That all of the sudden it lost electrical power, no headlight, guages, and acted like the tss was activated, the kill switch, tether, key worked, unplugged tss, no go, unplugged upper hood, checked fuses, swapped relays, . If I restarted it, I could run and move for like 5 seconds normally before it acted up /cut out again and only idle. I kept restarting it and moving it a bunch, Eventually everything started to flicker, gauge, headlight and the sled would for that moment rev up then cut out, Got lucky and eventually everything came on as normal and rode out... It was pitch black too.. however 2 codes p1003, p1004. p1004 stayed active.... Which i believe was from loss of electrical power, ran fine the last 30km never shut off, parked on truck, restarted and codes gone and hadn't mis behaved again...

I'd think it's some sort of electrical issue but not sure where to start. those 2 codes from googling would be the ecm saying pumps not going, and the other is idle air controller, and again to me would be front having now electrical power.
did you ever resolve this?

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
did you ever resolve this?
hey, I thought I edited/updated the post. So we went to replace the voltage regulator and I found that the 1 pin on the factory harness to the regulator had backed out of the connector and that was very likely our cause. replaced regulator just because and fixed the tab that holds the pin into the connector and sled hasn't had an issue since.

Premium Features