• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Losing my cat dealer??

Cat00

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I wasnt sure where I should post this but I'm just curious as to how many peoples arctic cat dealers are getting shut down due to the deal between textron and tracker?? Sounds like December of 2020 is when there getting pulled which Im guessing us when the warranty runs out on the snow checks from this year.

Cat00

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Trackers taking like 250000 units over the next 5 years and wants the smaller cat dealers shut down that are so close to a tracker dealer

Last edited:

Sled424

Premium Member
Sep 14, 2016
Textron is making dirt product for tracker offroad. The XX, alterra, prowler pro, etc. There have been a number of dealer licenses terminated here in the midwest states atleast after the deal was made

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
not being represented well is gonna kill cat. I know it's a catch 22 if they don't seel enough the shut down but if they shut down no way to sell more than before.

snowcheck is the only way cat will stay in exiatance if this continues

Catintree

Lifetime Membership
Sep 17, 2009
Mine is done also. :brokenheart: I have been on a Cat since 2007, bought 5 new sleds in that time, wouldn't even consider other brands since my dealer was in my home town. Just glad he is keeping the doors open with a new product line so I can still get some local service. I was ready to get a 2020, but not now as the resale of Cats will probably take a sharp dive.

jason_hildo

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2010
Likely Cat resale will increase with their current strategy, just last year you could easily find brand new 2015-2017 models sitting around, how does that help the resale of a used 2018? (for example) Here in Canada there is several dealers that have closed but most of that is because of what Arctic Cat did before Textron, forcing all their dealers to load up on inventory, they finally pushed them so hard they had a building full of 2015, 2016, 2017 models and they just couldn't sell them all. My existing dealer seemed pretty content with Textrons new strategy.

Cat00

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Catintree I think your prob right it's hard to stomach but I'm afraid this might be the beginning of the end for Arctic Cat. Been on a cat for almost 20 years going to be hard to ride a different brand after that long.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
The AC brand has been on its back foot since the EPA mandates created a business model where only the deepest pockets can survive. The Yammy deal was a bridge to Textron, and Textron figured out quickly that a major retail channel like BPS was required to compete after pre-Textron AC put the spurs to dealers for five plus years. Easy decision for Textron, they picked off AC for whiskey money. It has been great to seen some of the legends of sled design, Skime, Tweet, etc., resurrect the brand from the boneyard and stay relevant to another generation of sledheads. Wouldn't be surprised if Textron spun off the sleds to some passionate group soon, and just kept U/ATVs; they have little to lose on both the financial and brand side, they might still get paid for making sled motors for awhile, money is cheap, and risk takers are everywhere. Once the past dealer channel is stone cold it will be hard for any group to get traction with the brand again.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
How can Cat go out of business? They are supplying tracker Atv’s to Cabelas and Bass pro shops. They have a cool no haggle, no hassle policy with good prices. It’s all about selling units and this method may put a big dent in Polaris, Brp, Yamaha and Honda market share.
As for sleds, you order one, you get one. What’s wrong with that? Maybe you can find the odd new one here or there in season. No big deal.
Sounds like a solid business plan to me. It sure beats the heck out of trying to sell high priced sleds/atvs to broke ass millennials.
Cat is very strict about what the dealers sell sleds for. They require the sales receipt and proof of payment. That’s how my local dealer is anyway. Your dealer may be different.

Last edited:

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
I knew all the cat buniuess model chiefs would show up here soon :face-icon-small-dis:pizza::face-icon-small-ton

Cat00

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Deal rep told my dealer that the reason for closing dealers was lack of sales said they were offering $30000 back to any dealer that sold 20 off road units per month. My dealer responded with well if us small dealers sell 5 to 10 per month and you dont have to give us anything back arnt you making more money. The rep was speechless didnt know how to responed.

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
How can Cat go out of business? They are supplying tracker Atv’s to Cabelas and Bass pro shops. They have a cool no haggle, no hassle policy with good prices. It’s all about selling units and this method may put a big dent in Polaris, Brp, Yamaha and Honda market share.
As for sleds, you order one, you get one. What’s wrong with that? Maybe you can find the odd new one here or there in season. No big deal.
Sounds like a solid business plan to me. It sure beats the heck out of trying to sell high priced sleds/atvs to broke ass millennials.
Cat is very strict about what the dealers sell sleds for. They require the sales receipt and proof of payment. That’s how my local dealer is anyway. Your dealer may be different.
not everyone do their own work on their sled, lots of people NEED a dealer not too far from them for warranty and maintenance work or they won't consider this brand no matter which one it is.

The nearest cat dealer is more than 80 minutes away from where I live. Do you know how many brand new Arctic cats we see? if you see 2 per day, get a lotto ticket. while you've crossed 20-30 doo/poo.

you really have to love cats and really desire one to get one in that situations. And elts be honest not all sales comes from die-hard snowmobiler that spends time on forum and nodding/fixing their sleds.

Especially with a fricking 2 stroke sled made as light as possible which is always need something. If it were a motorcycle I would Not mind having to go farther.

Last edited:

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
not everyone do their own work on their sled, lots of people NEED a dealer not too far from them for warranty and maintenance work or they won't consider this brand no matter which one it is.

The nearest cat dealer is more than 80 minutes away from where I live. Do you know how many brand new Arctic cats we see? if you see 2 per day, get a lotto ticket. while you've crossed 20-30 doo/poo.

you really have to love cats and really desire one to get one in that situations. And elts be honest not all sales comes from die-hard snowmobiler that spends time on forum and nodding/fixing their sleds.

Especially with a fricking 2 stroke sled made as light as possible which is always need something. If it were a motorcycle I would mind having to go farther.
That is a good point.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
I've bought 3 new cats since '06 and every one of them has been from a different dealer in my area because dealers keep picking up cat and within a few years have dropped them again.

Cat00

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I've bought 3 new cats since '06 and every one of them has been from a different dealer in my area because dealers keep picking up cat and within a few years have dropped them again.

That's not the case here these dealers want to keep cat and cat is terminating them because of the deal textron has with tracker.

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
This is hilarious. Cat far oversold the projected numbers for spring guarantees yet they are "going out of business". Polaris broke the industry with their overbuilding and deep mid season discounts. Since then holdover inventory has been stacking up and cat was getting killed on rebates. Staying on that path was not sustainable for cat or the dealers. It would make no sense to continue on that trajectory Everyone sees change as failing but I see it as success. And I am sorry to say if your dealer is getting shut down they probably weren't performing. In my town we had a small cat dealer that shut down a few years ago and we were all bummed but the fact is a better company picked it up that has the resources to provide far better service. Just my 2 cents but I am optimistic about where cat is headed from everything I have heard.

Premium Features