• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Loosening up the stock skis on 2019

M
Jun 22, 2019
I have a 19 high country and it's all stock. I've noticed the rubber mounts for the skis seem very tight. Like even pulling up on the ski tips, the skis can't angle up very much. Not alot of forward and back tilt allowable and I think the sled might handle some back country terrain better if they aren't so rigid.
Has anyone done anything to loosen this up or is there any downside to doing it?

ndfb35

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2014
MT
You want them snug. If the dampers wear out and allow the ski to flex it creates a brake-like effect and can also cause other issues.

Ask Polaris riders about ski dampers and they will tell you the troubles they have with poor dampers and floppy skis.

Last edited:
M
Jun 22, 2019
Ok ya the more I'm just thinking about it, thought it might give problems sidehilling or carving turns if they are moving freely.
What do you mean by break like affect?

ndfb35

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2014
MT
Your ski tips will point up while riding, especially when side hilling, and cause the back of the skis to dig in the snow giving you the brake effect. Also, if you go through a drift and the tip doesn't stay up and gets caught you and you sled are going a** over tea kettle or your will be riding without one or both skis after the snap or bend in half.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Ok ya the more I'm just thinking about it, thought it might give problems sidehilling or carving turns if they are moving freely.
What do you mean by break like affect?
Brake effect- as in stop. Scorpion. Front flip. Broken wrists. You want them tight, believe me... I’m one of those Polaris riders mentioned above LOL

R
Feb 26, 2008
If you drill some holes in the trailing side of the damper, itll flex more and make the steering easier by a bit.

Premium Features