• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

looking to buy a new 3500 diesel truck looking for input

Butta

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Had the new Ford and Chevy diesels....now I own a 2000 7.3 Ford F-250. For my use, it just didn't make sense to pay for the new ones when the old 7.3L powerstroke will do the job. Sure, it's a little louder, and no high tech goodies (the new Ford's are impressive cockpits), but it's cheap and I can do all the work on it, plus no BS emissions crap to deal with. I didn't care for the '19 Duramax. Only put 6500 miles on it and it was the first vehicle I've ever had that I hated paying for.

New ones are just way over priced for the amount of issues and potential problems with the emissions systems. If you live where you can delete them, I'd suggest it. My $0.02

T
Feb 28, 2016
Not sure if youve made a decision yet but in my opinion stay with a duramax. I ride in a 19 powerstroke daily and while its got "fancy features" it still doesn't impress me much. The ride is rough, power is okay I guess, has a lot of rattles and things are falling apart in 13k miles. Plus the gaps in the bed panels that let water and dust in are a big no for me. My father just bought a 19 duramax and the ride and comfort are way better. Havent been in it with a trailer on the back yet but power definitely shows up. No turbo lag like the ford either

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
The power in all the diesels are very very close....400hp 900+ lbft of torque, if u say the 19 ford is "ok I guess" there is something wrong with the truck and should be taken to the dealer asap.

Sent it

Ex-Flit

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
North Branch, MN
It looks like I am buying a ram. with the H O cummings because of the towing rating and zero % financing It allowed me to stay with a srw and still be able to move my equipment with out having a class b license, if my wife or someone needs to drive it with a trailer. I have had good luck with other cummings motors in other equipment. I just hope the rest of the truck holds up.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
It looks like I am buying a ram. with the H O cummings because of the towing rating and zero % financing It allowed me to stay with a srw and still be able to move my equipment with out having a class b license, if my wife or someone needs to drive it with a trailer. I have had good luck with other cummings motors in other equipment. I just hope the rest of the truck holds up.

My buddy bought one of the last manual trans Rams, a 2018 Mega 4x4 Laramie. He has the air suspension, which is really nice BUT, height sensors in the wheel wells preclude the use of tire chains, just FYI. The truck seems pretty solid, he already has almost 60k miles on it! I hate the steering, it has an off center hard spot that isn't present in my Ford. Quality seems decent, better than my '15 power Wagon, which HAD to be sold. Good Luck!

T
Feb 28, 2016
The power in all the diesels are very very close....400hp 900+ lbft of torque, if u say the 19 ford is "ok I guess" there is something wrong with the truck and should be taken to the dealer asap.

Sent it
Driving a tuned diesel will make you think even a new diesel is ok I guess ?

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
I have had them all recently.

2011 Ram 2500 Mega: perfect, no issues
2013 Ram 3500: Perfect truck until the track bar bracket recall. Dumped it because of that
2015 GMC 2500 Duramax. Nice truck. The interior was dated plastic and rattled like crazy. super annoying. I bought a cabover camper so had to upgrade to a 1 ton.

2017 Ford F350: super comfortable truck, lots of tech and creature comforts. soft for a 350. Started falling apart and became the biggest pile of junk at about 15K miles. Tons of electrical gremlins, def injector went, new fuel sending unit, new fuel tank, abs sensor went, sunroof ate itself, the doors wouldn't latch closed when cold, the tailgate would randomly open, when it was cold the tailgate would freeze shut with no way to open it....

2018 Ram 3500 Mega: so far, so good

If I were to buy a new truck today. I would look at Chevy again to see if the interiors are updated, but more than likely I would buy another Ram. I think their '19 and '20 trucks are on part with Ford for tech, but the interiors IMO are much nicer

Last edited:

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Be careful trying to roll the windows down with the Ram if there's any chance they are frozen shut. The window motor is stronger than the rest of the mechanism is designed to handle and can break it. Then your window falls down/out when it thaws and breaks it. Has happened to multiple trucks at the company my dad works for.

Ex-Flit

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
North Branch, MN
Thank you for all of the information. I went to pick up the new truck tonight and when I got there they pulled me aside and told me that someone hit my new truck!! scuffed the bumper, broke the tail light . I can't believe it. it has been almost 18 years since I bought a new truck. kinda ruined the new truck feeling!

Butta

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Thank you for all of the information. I went to pick up the new truck tonight and when I got there they pulled me aside and told me that someone hit my new truck!! scuffed the bumper, broke the tail light . I can't believe it. it has been almost 18 years since I bought a new truck. kinda ruined the new truck feeling!
If you hadn't signed the final papers on it, I would suggest you keep shopping. "Customized" before you even take ownership of it...no thanks!

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
Be careful trying to roll the windows down with the Ram if there's any chance they are frozen shut. The window motor is stronger than the rest of the mechanism is designed to handle and can break it. Then your window falls down/out when it thaws and breaks it. Has happened to multiple trucks at the company my dad works for.

never heard of this. never happened to any of the 3 rams I have owned, my dads, or my buddy's.
we all live in cold snow country

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
The ones it has happened to have all been late model 2016 and newer trucks. I hadn't ever heard of it being an issue before until they started getting the last few rounds of trucks. I guess there's some type of cable with an eyelet on the end that breaks and lets them drop. They've had 10 or so side windows lost so far. Also 3 rear cab windows lost from shutting doors in the cold. Also had a friend lose a rear window in his 09 Ford the same way a couple years ago. In that case I've got to think the cab vents are getting froze shut and the pressure is blowing them out. There's been a couple other mechanical things too, but the windows would be most likely what the average person would see out of what they've delt with.

Disclaimer: they are running these trucks a lot of miles under what the manufacturers would consider severe off-road driving conditions. Lots of two track prairie roads, gravel, deep snow in the winter time, chains, trailers, etc. And they are company trucks so they get treated like rental sleds. They always find the faults no matter what brand they are running. Just happen to be cycling through Rams right now.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT

This really sucks. I hope they can do something to make things right with you. If not a different truck, then extended service or warranty? I just bought a used truck and when I got there to pick it up discovered a headlight housing was busted. The bill to fix it really soured my stomach on the deal too.

Premium Features