• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Looking for the best way to gain 20hp at sea level

R
Nov 27, 2018
2015 pro ride 800

I've been looking at a bunch of different options. My friend just got his silber turbo running really well and I was interested in the big bore side of it. I mainly just want to gain 25-35 good hp.

Here is what I've gathered here so far on the options I've seen.

Rktek 858 has had some sketchy reviews but otherwise sounded strong

Bikeman 860 is more expensive and requires their pipe etc seems like better reviews

Carl's 900 is the obvious best kit and most expensive for sure. Probably worth it in the end.

So who's had experience with these at sea level? Am i going to be let down with whatever I get unless its turbo?

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
I've never worried too much about it, my 800 has plenty of power for anything I want to do, but you're looking at some pretty heavy work to build a NA motor that's comparable to any turbo. 10, maybe 15 HP isn't too hard to get with some quality porting, a pipe, and good tuning (although those things poorly done get you little or nothing). 25 HP sounds to me like big bore – with quality porting, tuning, and the right pipe. You're likely to be disappointed if you just do the minimum to bump the displacement. 35 more HP from the pro motor is borderline exotic – possible, but new sled kind of money if you're having someone else build and tune it. So, basically, it seems to me that you are going to be let down compared to a turbo unless you spend a lot of money.

One option to consider is upgrading to an 850. Lots of improvements going to AXYS chassis and react front end. I'd guess the engine is worth 15 more HP, so maybe not what you're looking for there, but definitely a noticeable difference. The thing with the 850 is you're probably looking at similar money if you sell your sled and buy a used 850 compared to what just a big bore motor would cost. If you're willing to do some tuning and just want gobs of power, the turbo is probably the best bet, and who knows but you would love your current sled with a big bore, but I know a lot more guys who sold their modded pros for an AXYS (even the 800) and never looked back. The Pro is still a great sled – that's what I ride – but you'd want to at least try out some newer sleds before you dump money into one.

Premium Features