• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Looking for advice on kids sleds

J
Dec 12, 2017
Boise
As the title says, I am looking for advice on at least one kids sled (used most likely). My boys are 14 & 16 with no experience. My oldest is good size and strong, my youngest is smaller and only 110 lbs soaking wet. I haven’t rode in 10+ years and am looking for a khaos for myself. We won’t ride crazy stuff but lots of powder (hopefully) and trees, a fair amount of trails until they are good off trail. Any recommends on used sleds with the least amount of trouble? I know used is a crap shoot.
Also if anyone has a line on said used sleds or a used enclosed trailer, please let me know. Closer to Boise would be awesome. TIA

Last edited:
V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I'm not sure what your budget is, but it appears 2 additional sleds to your Khaos are in your near future.

I'm a Polaris rider so I may be a little biased here, but I would think an A-arm style 550 would be a good start. The newer the better obviously, but should allow a quicker learning curve to get the new riders into the mountain riding skill set. The 550 might be on the smaller side for the older kid after a season but would be at the upper end for the younger rider. This would allow you to determine what the next sled could be, 600 RMK or similar? Or another 550. Sleds with engines smaller than 550 haven't been made in quite a few years so they are in older chassis' designed for flat trail use. Granted, they can be ridden mountain style but for a small kid that is a big ask.

Something like this would be on my target list for your application:

J
Dec 12, 2017
Boise
Thanks for the reply. Budget is flexible, I am more interested in well taken care of. I am leaning towards snow checking a '21 as our dealer are really low on stock. I'm thinking the plan will be find a 3 or 4 year old sled that I can ride this year and then the wife and will be 17yo can ride it next year. That 550 would be a great option for my youngest and honestly my wife could ride it as well.

P
Dec 15, 2018
So iam a brand new snowmobiler so take this advice as such but I just bought a 600 for me and a new artic cat blast for my wife which is a 396 or something. So I literally just went my first time and I honestly wish I bought two blasts. It is just so much more friendly. Granted it has very real limitations but as a new rider I was able to do much more on it than the 600. It isnt slow to me but I ain't a badass. It was way easier to turn and to get on edge. it was quite, it was smooth, it didnt get hot (600 did) it hardly used any gas. Just really easy. I've seen pros on you tube doing mountain stuff no problem. Just sayn cause Iam new and it is really nice. Bad news is they cost alot but i dont see it loosing to much value in a couple years when a kids ready for more power. But even on break in mode it went near 50 with me letting up cause I wasnt comfortable yet lol. Maybe next year they will be more affordable or a few may come up 2nd hand. A kid would love one and rip one eventually. Hell I love it . They are very fun. Dunno if it's in the cards but the old saying "buy once cry once" may fit this deal? 2cents...

J
Dec 12, 2017
Boise
Pinchecharlie, you will love those sleds. I don't believe any of the dealers around me have a Blast but it is on my list. I think it might be an option for my wife to learn on.

I am considering buying a little older pro and riding it for this winter and then snow check a khaos for next winter. My older son can ride the pro next winter. That just leaves finding a smaller sled for the younger boy.

Meadow Muffin

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2012
SE Iowa
I will likely get bashed for this but here goes... I would go buy a couple of 155 Polaris Axis 800’s for you and your oldest. That way you, your wife, your son, or an adult buddy can ride comfortably. How tall is your 110 lb. son? I would look for a little shorter track sled and narrow the front end for him in a water cooled 600. The newer sleds are easier to ride and are almost bullet proof. If your kids follow your direction well there is no reason to buy an undersized / underpowered sled that they grow out of immediately. The selection on even 600 cc sleds and smaller are very limited and you can get much better sleds for the money with 800’s. The 600 and the 800 react almost exactly the same to 55 mph or 9000+ feet. All machines from 440’s up will be intimidating at first and yes a smaller chassis will be easier in the short term but their are so few of those machines out their if not buying new you will most likely be buying someone’s problem.
I have 3 kids and they all started at 11 - 12 on an 800 with lots of supervision. They are now in their 20’s with no permanent injury’s. Personally it’s track length that we over do when starting out and a pushing sled that won’t turn is what seems to overwhelm beginners and makes you try and muscle the sled instead of learning techniques.
Meadow Muffin

adventure

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
Meadow Muffin has it right. I'd look for three (or more) similar sleds so you're comfortable getting them unstuck or out of all the tough situations your kids will inevitably find for you to fix. A big bonus that the parts and maintenance will match up. 155" 600 or 800, anything 2016 or later RMK or Khaos. Make yours a 163 or a Khaos if you prefer. Super-bonus if they all take the same a-arms - not to mention oil, windshields, storage bags, clutch weights, etc. My son was on a '16 155 800 Axys RMK (with narrow spindlies) at age 12 and 100 pounds. Couldn't start it himself even but could carve up a storm and play with the big kids. Couldn't count the number of times I pull up facing the other way and we just swap sleds when he was in trouble. If it's a completely different sled or underpowered or whatever that's not going to work nearly as well for you.

Thistledoo

Lifetime Membership
Have been riding for 25 years, take tons of new riders to the mtns often. Here is what i see. The polaris 800 or 850 IMO is a tougher platorm for a novice. A skidoo XM800 or 600 is alot easier and capable sled to learn on Dead reliable and very easy to get on edge and hold it there which when riding any slope is a must to learn quickly or the riders will get frustrated and loose interest.

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
I would buy the Blast and let your older boy learn and progress on it for a season then hand it down to the wife or younger boy. Those sleds are pricey but look to be more than capable. You should be able to find a used Pro, M series or XM for reasonable cost they were all decent sleds.

J
Dec 12, 2017
Boise
Thank you for all of the replies. As they say life comes at you fast. Monday, I bought a ‘19 850 pro 163 with 280 miles. I also ended up selling my snow bike and upon delivery today, the buyer had an 06 m7 153 that came home on my trailer. We will be heading out next Saturday to see how the boys do. I had a chance to ride my 850 up behind our cabin in McCall and man sleds have changed in ten years. I quickly found myself stuck and relearned the ways of the shovel. I will say they come out of a hole way easier than my old 02 edge did.

F
Jan 3, 2008
Thank you for all of the replies. As they say life comes at you fast. Monday, I bought a ‘19 850 pro 163 with 280 miles. I also ended up selling my snow bike and upon delivery today, the buyer had an 06 m7 153 that came home on my trailer. We will be heading out next Saturday to see how the boys do. I had a chance to ride my 850 up behind our cabin in McCall and man sleds have changed in ten years. I quickly found myself stuck and relearned the ways of the shovel. I will say they come out of a hole way easier than my old 02 edge did.
That M7 is a good sled but still take a bit of muscle and counter steering and throttle blip to get them to do what you want. I know because I have an 09 HCR great sled. My in laws have a 2014 Pro it is so much easier to get on edge. They also have a 2018 Axys that goes on edge super easy, have to be careful not to tip it over.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
2005 SKIDOO 550F fan ... around 1000 to 1500 They made a 300F not as good. Easy to put a longer track on

sledhead_79

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2009
Wyoming
711 has proven that there is nothing wrong with the 600’s. I love my wife’s 600!

Attachments

• B47CD7FD-C40F-4E5E-BDCC-7150671946CD.jpeg
    B47CD7FD-C40F-4E5E-BDCC-7150671946CD.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Not a bad choice on the M7 153. If your family likes the sport and you decide to start dumping more money into it, eventually the Polaris 600 155 becomes a really really great sled for everybody but yourself. For you, you get spoiled and get the 850. Just a little more power for the guy who is actually paying for all this stuff. But that 600 155 is an absolutely terrific sled.

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Quick update. M7 is going to be a great first sled for my 16yo and the wife will be getting a 600 155” as soon as I can find what she wants. I am hoping my 14yo hits another growth spurt and gains some lbs.
Awesome.

Even if he doesn't, he will quickly learn to do awesome on that 600 155 and will steal it from mom all the time, then the 16yo will want one as well.

Premium Features