• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

looking for a small oil tank

O

olymon

I'm currently putting a ultra motor in a gen II xc chassis. The problem I'm coming across is an oil tank that will fit in the space. I have a coolant bottle that I think will work the way I'm going to set it up. The stupid external thermometer on this motor through a twist in the routing.

I'd like to run the oil tank behind the stock ultra air box and between the steering post and the gas tank. I can't seem to find one thin enough. Most seem to have a bulge in them or a 90 degree turn on them somewhere.

Does anybody know of a tank that is roughly 1 1/2" wide about 5" or so tall and can be close to 12" long. Just a plain rectangular oil tank would be perfect. Hell, I even thought about using an old xlt coolant bottle I had lying around but I wasn't sure about how well it would seal at the top if you laid it over. I'd have to fill it pretty often too from an extra oil bottle carrier.

If you've seen an oil tank shaped like that let me know, I'd really appreciate it. Mounting it is a secondary thought, shouldn't be too hard.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Salt Lake City
Oil tank

When I did the XCR to GenII conversion, I had the Ultra/Storm/XCR tank cut down so it would fit between the air box and newer style edge gas tank. Local plastic welding shop did it for me. Volume went from 2.5 quarts down to 1.5 which is plenty for a tank of gas. I just topped off the oil every time I got gas. Still had the mount for the CDI too and I used the stock mounting bracket. Worked out great. The guy just cut off the part of the bottle that stuck out the back and protruded into the one piece seat/gas tank. Cost me $60.00 to have it done.

H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
Derek at Attitude sold me a nice one that is fairly compact. Give him a shout, plus he can make one for you if you need.

One that fits your description that is made of SS are automotive radiator overflow tanks. You can get one very close to that size and really cheap.

Last edited:
H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
!BZ!CPqwB2k~$(KGrHgoH-DMEjlLluysEBKkf7r4uRQ~~_12.JPG

This one is 2x10 and 30 bux.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OVER...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

O

olymon

Nice, That would fit pretty easily. A clear plastic one would be nice though. Time to do some more searching.

I just decided to go with the xlt coolant tank and run it right next to the air box fits in the space nicely. Any suggestions on extra oil bottle holders for under the hood.

Last edited:
J

Jakepol800

Nov 26, 2007
Baker City, Or
Mid 90s indy 500 oil tank is nice i have a ultra in a 99 700 chassis. its about 4 inch square and 6 inches long or so that and a edge oil tank and i can run the airbox

O

olymon

This is what I ended up with. I welded on a new bracket and used an old xlt coolant bottle. The little hole it the top should be good enough of a vent to keep the oil flowing but not let a lot of it get out if the sled ends up on it's side for a little while.

oil tank.jpg coolant oil.jpg

Premium Features