• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Looking for a good all around sled

C
Nov 27, 2018
Hi I am just trying to figure out what sled would be best for me I currently trap and use a Yamaha rs venture it works great but is a very heavy sled I’d like something that’d be good for pulling heavy sleigh but also could go play in the powder once in a while. Is there anyway to get best of both worlds or am I dreaming

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
If you're working off your sled and not joy-riding you want a utility sled, you don't want a mountain or a trail sled.

Look at a Skidoo Skandic, Arctic Cat Bearcat, or possibly a Polaris Voyager.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Buying used or new?

If you're only occasionally going to be pulling a cargo sled or something yeah go with a mountain sled ... Just be careful to not over-heat it or burn your hyfax :)

M
Oct 4, 2015
Montana
Yellowstone National Park

Believe it or not,Even tho the Park Service has banned all 2-Stroke sleds from operating within the Park boundaries, the (Electrical) Power company out of West Yellowstone when tasked with servicing power outages in the park & needing to haul in transformers to the backcountry uses AC M8's. Initially the PS resisted, requiring 4-strokes only but the Power Company responded that if you want service we cannot ride heavy & prone to get stuck 4-strokes to get the job done! So, if they can haul transformers into the backcountry on M8's that's good enough for me using my '10 M8 to haul anything I need to do!:face-icon-small-coo

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Utility sleds are not going to be much fun for playing. Play sleds are not going to be much fun towing/working. There isn't really an in between sled that I can think of. Something like 10-11 M8 is a pretty good choice and an 02-05 RMK800 would probably do both fairly well too. The newest powder sleds are probably not a great choice as they have limited cooling systems to keep weight down and they are not going to like pulling at low speeds in low snow. You really do need two sleds, one for work, one for play.

T
Apr 11, 2018
SE WI
Hi I am just trying to figure out what sled would be best for me I currently trap and use a Yamaha rs venture it works great but is a very heavy sled I’d like something that’d be good for pulling heavy sleigh but also could go play in the powder once in a while. Is there anyway to get best of both worlds or am I dreaming

You already have the exact machine machine you described. A Rs venture is, in my opinion, the most utility capable play sled out there. Also too heavy to be considered a play sled by most. With the right track configuration you can still have lots of fun in the powder. Won't be as ideal for playing as new 800 two stroke but still tons of fun.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Utility sleds are not going to be much fun for playing. Play sleds are not going to be much fun towing/working. There isn't really an in between sled that I can think of. Something like 10-11 M8 is a pretty good choice and an 02-05 RMK800 would probably do both fairly well too. The newest powder sleds are probably not a great choice as they have limited cooling systems to keep weight down and they are not going to like pulling at low speeds in low snow. You really do need two sleds, one for work, one for play.

Yes, I agree, find one with big coolers and use ice scratchers. My Prormk would suk at pulling cargo, due to low speed overheating, but still have a M7 that is/was my wife's sled that towed our 2 kids around in a snow coach for years with zero issues related to pulling. And even though it was clutched to run like a powder sled, it' didn't burn or wear out belts.
Low $ tow rig and play machine 100% go 2010-11 M8, IMO

MI1M600EFI

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 15, 2008
Mancos, CO
Actually, I'd say M8 from 2009-11. The '09 had slightly less HP, but was otherwise the same as a 10/11. My '09 has NEVER overheated, no matter what I've done with it, and I have 5000+ miles on it with and haven't even so much as found a sticking power valve.

I'd also consider a Skidoo Summit with the 600 E-tec motor as a great sled. slightly wider track would work well, and the E-tec motor is solid as a rock, and really good on gas and fuel. I rode one last year and was very impressed with the power, and how easy it was to pick my way around in the trees.

Good Luck!!

Premium Features