• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Looking for 3 riders to join in for 1 day Backcountry Basics Clinic in Island Park

Dirty Steve

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Central MN
Looking for 1 rider to join in for 1 day Backcountry Basics Clinic in Island Park

Myself and 2 guys from Iowa have a 1 day clinic with Amber Holt of Backcountry Basics booked on Tuesday Feb 17th. She normally does longer clinics but we have asked her to do a condensed version of her clinic.
We have all taken Mike Duffy's basic avalanche training, so Amber has agreed to leave that part out and go straight into riding techniques for the day.
I am not certain of her full plan for curriculum but she will cover basic mountain riding techniques- counter steer, throttle control, keeping the sled on edge, downhill turns, side-hilling and getting un stuck.
I have pretty basic skills and the other two guys are completely new to powder riding, so the main goal of this is to get the basics down and enable us to function in the deep snow.

The clinic will be based out of Sawtelle Mountain Resort in Island Park. From what I under stand it is on private land on a pretty gentle slope near the resort.

Starting at 9:00 AM and going for most of the day.

We are not looking for guys to join our whole trip, just up to 3 guys to come to the clinic on Feb. 17th and share the cost. The total cost is $1500.00 and I have already paid a non refundable $750.00 deposit.

The cost will be split evenly between the end number of riders, (Maximum of 6) so do the math.

As of 2/4/15 we have 5 people committed and 1 maybe.

To make the most out of this class would prefer that anyone who wants to join up with us is ready to learn, have fun time, be respectful and take the class serious, at least knows how to ride a sled, has taken a basic avy course, and is in fairly decent shape. None of us are athletes, but not in horrible shape either.

Here is Amber's web page:http://backcountrybasics.com/

She has alot of info there about the class.

Here is the Sawtelle Mountain Resort web page:
http://www.sawtellemountainresort.com/

Last edited:

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
I did a one day clinic with Amber last winter. You won't be disappointed. She's a great teacher. Make sure everyone in your group is riding a new model sled, probably at least 2011 or newer. Amber rides for Cat, she's fine with Poo and will pick on the Doo's - all in good fun of course! Oh and don't bring a Yammy. Listen with an open mind, do what she says, and you'll learn a lot!

Dirty Steve

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Central MN
Good to hear. We'll be renting 15' Pro RMK'S or I may run my '13 SBA.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I took her course 2 years ago at 7 Devils Lodge. Awesome experience. It might have seemed spendy at the time but is priceless now.

Don't let the "bunny hill" training area fool you, if you can handle the sled the way she wants you to on the "flat" ground you will have tools to take to the steeper stuff.

The guy that wrote this article was in our group. Too bad you couldn't swing a longer course as she has a lot to go over and you have a limited ability to absorb it all in one day. You will enjoy it though.

http://www.snowest.com/2013/10/backcountry-basics-by-amber-holt#

Take a small notebook and write down what you learned at the end of the day. You'll reference it later...

Last edited:

I-see-powder

Lifetime Membership
May 2, 2013
Livingston, MT
I'm interested in joining you guys. I only live a couple hours away from Island Park and have always wanted to try one of these clinics.

PM me and we can figure it out.

800poodragon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
Took her class the weekend before last...great class, you will not be disappointed. Amber did 2 one day classes, she rode a cat the first day and a Pro the second day. Be prepared to learn a lot, in the 1 day class the quicker everybody can pick it up the farther you will get. She is good about making sure everybody picks it up. Has a great attitude and method of teaching. Enjoy...:becky:

Dirty Steve

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Central MN
As of 2/4/15, we have 5 guys committed and 1 maybe. We can only have 6, PM me if you're interested in case someone can't make it.

Premium Features