• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

looking at a new sled

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
69431_10152302957550643_300756535_n.jpg

Slocan is only 20min from me, and from what Iv seen this season around the kootenays a couple M8s have gone missing, keep your eyes peeled guys! Also to the person saying a 2010 goes for $10000, yeah right, I mean im sure youll find someone trying to sell one for that but really? At mainjet motorsports in Nelson BC theres a 2010 162 M100 Boondocker turbo for $7000, it has 2500miles which means the engine could use a rebuild, but really thats a crazy cheap deal. Theres also a 2011 RMK for $7600, and a 2012 Proclimb for $11000. Just making my point, theres lots of good deals out there, and theres definetly some dumb deals to say the least out there.

Chris6060

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2009
Fort St. John, British Columbia
Slocan is only 20min from me, and from what Iv seen this season around the kootenays a couple M8s have gone missing, keep your eyes peeled guys! Also to the person saying a 2010 goes for $10000, yeah right, I mean im sure youll find someone trying to sell one for that but really? At mainjet motorsports in Nelson BC theres a 2010 162 M100 Boondocker turbo for $7000, it has 2500miles which means the engine could use a rebuild, but really thats a crazy cheap deal. Theres also a 2011 RMK for $7600, and a 2012 Proclimb for $11000. Just making my point, theres lots of good deals out there, and theres definetly some dumb deals to say the least out there.

Theres a 2011 M8 for sale here for 7,000$ with 500KMs on it.

G

gdhillon

Nov 29, 2012
Prince George BC

Whats the max a sled can go before it gets a rebuild and what does a rebuild consist of?......new pistons an rings ?

I see that m10 there and the rmk....i know this is a cat thread but what are your opinions on the 11 pro 800 ?

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
How long a motor goes before a rebuild depends on a few different things. Has it ever gotten overheated, what riding style and conditions it sees (wide open pulls up hills vs. easy trail rides), warmup, tuning, break in, etc. It also depends on the motor family. Some motor designs just hold up better than others. I have over 3000 miles on my M7 motor with a head and exhaust system installed and have never been inside of it. I think there are guys who have 5000+ on these motors. I think the mark for new pistons and rings on a M8 motor is 2500? M1000 really depends on the tuning factor and the operator. Some guys can get a couple thousand out of them and some only get a couple hundred.

Most of the time if the cylinders are in good shape, the first 1 or 2 rebuilds only require pistons, rings, wristpins, wristpin bearings, and top end gaskets. After that I would pull the crank and inspect/rebuild it along with a new top end.

I hate to say it but the 800 Polaris motors are not known for their durability. 1000 miles max on a set of stock pistons/cylinders. Cylinders might still be ok at that point, but the pistons will not be. Poor manufacturing tolerances and high side loads on the pistons cause the piston skirts and sometimes the cylinder skirts to break off. Often times this blends the pieces up in the bottom end and wrecks the whole motor. $4400.00 for a new one.

K
Nov 27, 2007
New sled

The M7 has a great motor but if you ride above 9000ft the power is lacking,and a 2010-11 m8 would be the way to go and worth the extra cash!

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
Whats the max a sled can go before it gets a rebuild and what does a rebuild consist of?......new pistons an rings ?

I see that m10 there and the rmk....i know this is a cat thread but what are your opinions on the 11 pro 800 ?

Like Boondocker said it depends on a lot of things (which he listed most of). But the reason I said that one could use a rebuild is cause its a turbo, turbos need rebuilds much soon then N/A engines as they are making way more power and really hard on parts. What RKT told me is that this is just what he does, but he changes out the pistons around 2500miles just to make sure they are good, that was also referring to Arctic cat, if we are talking about other brands such as Polaris you would be lucky to get that many miles out of your engine, as they FUC*KED UP the piston/cylinder clearance on the newer engines.
Its all up to you but engines should be able to last a long time. And asking what the MAX is a sled will go is impossible to say, they are people on here saying they got around 8000miles on their M7s... Which I dont believe but might in fact be right as I cant say for sure.

G

gdhillon

Nov 29, 2012
Prince George BC
Interesting. How do you know you need a rebuild? compression check?

So I would think it would be a good idea to do a compression test on a used sled, regardless of miles.

Wouldn't polaris have to rebuild those sleds under warranty then if they are new?

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
Interesting. How do you know you need a rebuild? compression check?

So I would think it would be a good idea to do a compression test on a used sled, regardless of miles.

Wouldn't polaris have to rebuild those sleds under warranty then if they are new?

Not sure on how warranty really works with sleds as I havnt owned brand new.
When I buy any used vehicle like a sled or dirtbike I always do a compression test to make sure everything is good, of course your compression could be good but a blew engine could be right around the corner, you never really know, but a compression test is an easy way to check to make sure nothing is obviously wrong. Its important that both cylinders are even or really close.

You never know if a sled only has 300miles the engine could already be toast, you never know, so yes doing a compression test regardless of miles should be a must do.

Other ways to know if you need a rebuild simply looks at the condition of the piston/rings, if everything is running good and the piston looks in good condition with good even compression you are probably fine.

Personally I would change out the pistons around 2500miles just to be sure the sled can live on and have a good full season, dont want to deal with any problems over the winter and take out of my riding time, plus pistons arnt all that expensive.

just my .02 cents

G

gdhillon

Nov 29, 2012
Prince George BC
Not sure on how warranty really works with sleds as I havnt owned brand new.
When I buy any used vehicle like a sled or dirtbike I always do a compression test to make sure everything is good, of course your compression could be good but a blew engine could be right around the corner, you never really know, but a compression test is an easy way to check to make sure nothing is obviously wrong. Its important that both cylinders are even or really close.

You never know if a sled only has 300miles the engine could already be toast, you never know, so yes doing a compression test regardless of miles should be a must do.

Other ways to know if you need a rebuild simply looks at the condition of the piston/rings, if everything is running good and the piston looks in good condition with good even compression you are probably fine.

Personally I would change out the pistons around 2500miles just to be sure the sled can live on and have a good full season, dont want to deal with any problems over the winter and take out of my riding time, plus pistons arnt all that expensive.

just my .02 cents

I have never rebuilt an engine, Im kind of a noob when it comes to mechanical work. I did just learn how to clean a carb though! (on my polaris 400 quad). Do you ever change the connecting rod to or just the piston and wrist pin?

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
I have never rebuilt an engine, Im kind of a noob when it comes to mechanical work. I did just learn how to clean a carb though! (on my polaris 400 quad). Do you ever change the connecting rod to or just the piston and wrist pin?

When you buy a piston it should come with everything you need, including rings which is a big part you forgot to mention. I usually just feel the crank on the engine to see anything obvious and if I dont notice anything through in the new top end. Its not all that hard of a job to do the top end, just make sure everything is installed correctly when you do it. If you have spare time in the summer do some basic things to get your hands dirty, take out and clean your power valves, take out your intake and the clean everything you can, just basic things. Basically pull out anything that looks like it comes off relatively easy and clean around it and make sure all the parts are good and not warn out, you'd be surprised how easy most things are with some basic knowledge that anyone can get, and being willing to get your hands dirty. Just grab a beer, and a riding buddy and spend a day pulling some things off.

G

gdhillon

Nov 29, 2012
Prince George BC
Well I may get to do a top end on my quad....i still have to do a compression test but its getting spark and fuel and still no start i'm told it should be 110 for it (94 polaris 300 2x4....yes I have older polaris 2 strokes and no im not brand loyal specially to polaris :face-icon-small-tonlol)

Anyway that'll be good experience. I do enjoy getting my hands dirty, i just put a new throttle cable, starter &bendix in my 95 polaris 400...that was quite the learning experience!

Im seeing a lot of reasonably priced m8s on BC kijjiji 10+ (maybe its just cause of summer?). And I am trying to get on with BChydro as an apprentice so maybe I'll be able to afford new! :D

G

gdhillon

Nov 29, 2012
Prince George BC
im on the market again, ive seen a 10 m8 at a dealer about 4 hours from me for 59CAD, with 2936 miles on it. it has a 162'' track. My budgets now 5-6500

G

gdhillon

Nov 29, 2012
Prince George BC
I also found an 08 m8 for 4500CAD, the guy says it " has 1500km on the motor 2100 on the chassis, rebuilt clutch, mbrp can, fox floats front and rear, 162" track good shape." What do you guys think? Are 08s as good as 09s?
I am also looking at some summit 800s (07 and 04) for around the same price.

D
Oct 14, 2013
north MI
I also found an 08 m8 for 4500CAD, the guy says it " has 1500km on the motor 2100 on the chassis, rebuilt clutch, mbrp can, fox floats front and rear, 162" track good shape." What do you guys think? Are 08s as good as 09s?
I am also looking at some summit 800s (07 and 04) for around the same price.

Rebuilt after 600km and a low $$$$ compared to others would make me want to know why...Check the bulkhead behind the secondary clutch! :shocked::shocked::shocked:

Premium Features