• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Logan and Trails West Heaters?

dallen

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2017
Anybody have any experience with the factory supplied heaters in a Logan or Trails West? Looking at a new Logan trailer and wondering if I need the new 70,000 BTU Hot Dawg heater? It is only available in the 2019 and apparently is now standard in the Zbroz edition. Is the basic 40,000 BTU heaters these come with enough to warm the trailer? I want to be able to hang out and sleep in this trailer at times, with young kids. Just wondering if the extra money is worth it for the dual heaters?

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Get the hot dawg. It is the bomb. The 40k is not enough when cold. The hot dawg will warm it up and the 40k will maintain. They all have the same heater and they aren't enough.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Btu isn’t the factor In the space were talking about.

CFM Is the real issue. And air recycling. All these trailers suffer from intake and exhaust differential. They produce great heat but they don’t circulate the air.

dallen

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2017
Propane.....

Does the hot dawg over 40k come with a 100 gallon propane tank?

I am sure it eats up some serious propane. Comes with two 30 gallon tanks. Seems to only make sense to use it to warm the place up, then use the smaller heater to keep it warm....

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
My burandt trailer will kick out on the limit switch when running a long time. To thaw sleds fast I set the thermostat at 90° and the timer for 3 hrs.

The intake for the furnace isn’t adequate. I’m currently installing a intake vent right at the heaters intake... I’m also going to add a couple more directional vents and open up the outlet side of the furnace. The heat in the compartment where the heater is mounted was over heating due to restricted outlet flow and a heated intake flow.

C
Apr 30, 2018
You could do a radiant floor heat. They make small DHW heaters for off grid cabins and such. You only get about 80-120 degrees real world temp but if you put in new floor with the aluminum skin and then 1/4 marine plywood over the top it would work well If you could pitch the floor slightly to a one way valve you could drain the water as it melts. You'd loose heating capacity because you'd need a heavy glycol mix but it could work sweet. You'd use about 4-5 amps for a 12 volt pump so it may be impractical for a whole weekend.
Sorry if off topic I'm a heating service tech and this is a project that I'd love to try some day now

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Any opinions on why these heaters intake from inside the trailer? Seems dangerous for using it to sleep in unless you keep a window cracked. I’m thinking about making mine intake from the outside. The heater now seems to be getting to hot and kicking out on high limit. Have to remove front of the cabinet and reach all the way to the back to reset the switch.

summitriders36

Premium Member
Aug 30, 2010
I don't peruse this sight often but I did just barely come across your question. I work at TW and know a few things about the trailer and furnace. The furnace comes from the factory with an intake and exhaust duct for outside air. If your furnace is using the air inside the coach for combustion air, then someone has changed the furnace ducting. Inside air should NEVER be used as combustion air and exhaust air should ALWAYS be ducted to the outside. This is the way your furnace was designed and installed at the factory. Anything different was changed or modified after it left TW.

On another note. The heaters used in these trailers are designed to melt the snow out of the tunnels and tracks so you don't end up with a giant ice ball. RPM trailers by Trails West are not designed to be lived or slept in. When something is designed to be slept in, it requires additional certifications which aren't done on an RPM.

Hope this helps.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
I don't peruse this sight often but I did just barely come across your question. I work at TW and know a few things about the trailer and furnace. The furnace comes from the factory with an intake and exhaust duct for outside air. If your furnace is using the air inside the coach for combustion air, then someone has changed the furnace ducting. Inside air should NEVER be used as combustion air and exhaust air should ALWAYS be ducted to the outside. This is the way your furnace was designed and installed at the factory. Anything different was changed or modified after it left TW.

On another note. The heaters used in these trailers are designed to melt the snow out of the tunnels and tracks so you don't end up with a giant ice ball. RPM trailers by Trails West are not designed to be lived or slept in. When something is designed to be slept in, it requires additional certifications which aren't done on an RPM.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your reply.

the trailer was bought brand new from a certified trails west sales company (Perry’s trailer) Sheridan, wy and hasn’t been modified in anyway.

All I see is the single exhaust vent on the outside of the trailer. Where is the fresh air intake vent located on the trailer?

Last edited:

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
My heater keeps tripping the reset at the back of the furnace. Getting very frustrating to not be able to trust this thing to stay on for even an hour. I tried opening up another knock out thinking maybe it was too restricted and causing it to over heat. But that didn’t help.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
They are sending me a new updated breaker. Replaces the switch at the back of the furnace and relocates it to the outside of the cabinet For free . It’s a 15 amp breaker. He said they all come with this set up now.

Also if anyone was wondering. The burn box Intake on the furnace intakes through the outer edge of the exhaust outlet on the outside of the trailer. All other air is drawn from inside
The trailer.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
My heater in my trailswest never works. Maybe it is something simple but when you are retarded and don't know anything about them it is not simple. I am going to have to take it to someone. They are awesome to deal with but are 400 miles away. It's already been there once.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
My heater in my trailswest never works. Maybe it is something simple but when you are retarded and don't know anything about them it is not simple. I am going to have to take it to someone. They are awesome to deal with but are 400 miles away. It's already been there once.

What year is it? Does it have the beaker on the outside of the furnace enclosure?

Any hvac service company worth a crap should be able
To do add the new style switch in 30 min.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Anybody have any experience with the factory supplied heaters in a Logan or Trails West? Looking at a new Logan trailer and wondering if I need the new 70,000 BTU Hot Dawg heater? It is only available in the 2019 and apparently is now standard in the Zbroz edition. Is the basic 40,000 BTU heaters these come with enough to warm the trailer? I want to be able to hang out and sleep in this trailer at times, with young kids. Just wondering if the extra money is worth it for the dual heaters?

I have it on my 2019 trailer.
I would NOT DO ANY LESS of a heater after having this one.
It is REALLY awesome.
REALLY amazing. You have to experience one on a cold day to understand.

We set the thermostat to come on about 3:00 and the trailer is HOT when we return, even by 3:30. Everything is melted out and dry in 30 minutes. No lie.

I have slept in my trailer for a total of 6 nights, all of them below freezing. The furnace was set at 45 degrees and when sleeping with a 0 degree bag or colder is AMPLE.

Last edited:

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Here is the free replacement trails west sent me.

Haven’t installed it yet but I will let y’all know if it fixes the tripping issue.

c612b19a5e6354265fb4872734fc0cf9.jpg
239cab2dc63fbe6b978e730a5c3512c2.jpg

Premium Features