• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lodging in the Black Hills

F
Feb 20, 2014
I'm trying to put a trip together for my family (wife and 4 small kids), might not be the right forum but was wondering what are some good reasonably priced hotels that you can ride from and have access to the trails? This is my first trip to the area and my families first snowmobile trip period. Thanks

Also, what time of year (after the 1st) is generally the best chance for decent snow conditions?

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Also there is Black Hills Inn and Suites and Deadwood Gulch Resort both in Deadwood which has direct trail access however snow conditions going into and out of Deadwood can be difficult plus it is a long ways to most popular destinations. Whitetail court has good trail access and is closer than locations in Deadwood. Recreation Springs is a great place with good trail access and great people running the place. Spearfish Canyon resort has great trail access and is close to popular destinations but probably a little more spendy. Trailshead Lodge is central to everything with great access both on and off trail but they only have a limited number of cabins for rent.

skibumsd

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2008
i would say recreational springs is your best bet. Has a good lodge to hang out, rents the sleds there and have a restaurant and bar. Deadwood is just 10 minutes away to go play there then if you like. Trail access is very easy there as well.

bigrig

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
LAKE PARK, IA
Deadwood may not be best for kids. Spearfish canyon lodge is good for family. Rental sleds, right on trail, good food, nature walking. Wife and kids will be happy. Whole family will be happy! Many more sled trips to come... Have fun and enjoy the hills.

skivoice

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 1, 2012
Aberdeen, SD
Our family goes everyyear. We have 12 sleds in our group with 7 kids under the age of 6. We always stay down in spearfish. Trailer up to spearfish canyon lodge and ride from there. 20 min. Drive. It allows us to stay at a hotel with a pool. Eat at resonably priced resteraunts. We either stay at the Roadway inn. Or the Fairfeild. Roadway is about 70 a night or less. Parking is easy. Plus I feel the west half of the hills has better snow and less traffic. Been riding up there for over 20 years.

Premium Features