• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lightweight parts for sidewinder

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
I’m thinking about coming back to Yamaha so I started looking for some lightweight goodies I could throw at it but there doesn’t seem like much is out there.

The basics on a 4 stroke:
- exhaust (10 lbs)
- battery (10 lbs)

What else is there?

Skinz seat?
Is there a lightweight hood?
Headlight delete do any good with the LED lights?
Lightweight brake disc?
Coming from a Nytro is there something similar to losing 15 lbs when you swapped the drop brackets?

I’ve scoured the Internet but I can’t find a whole lot of info and this specific forum is kinda slow so I figured we could liven things up in here!

PARTS LIST ACQUIRED FROM THIS THREAD:

Ballistic battery - $250 = 12.5 lbs
http://www.amazon.com

CR Racing straight pipe - $280 = 12-13lbs
http://crracingcanada.com/main/sled/yamaha/2017-sidewinder/yamaha-sidewinder-straight-pipe.html

BDX belt drive / reverse delete (not sure if this works with a sidewinder yet) - $1100 = 11lbs (increased drive line efficiency)
http://www.bd-xtreme.com/index.php?id_product=714&controller=product

Conquer 2.8 Track - $865 = 11lbs
https://www.tracksusa.com/Conquer-2...0&browse=-47154&shopBy=-13144&catalogId=-3693

BDX Superlite brake rotor - $110 = 1lb static, 2.5lbs of rotating
http://www.bd-xtreme.com/index.php?id_product=662&controller=product

Theoretical weight loss so far = 47 lbs!

Still need to find:

Lightweight Hood
Lightweight Seat

Last edited:

roughriders

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
I installed a ballistic battery- 2lb 8oz, stock was 15lb
- cr straight pipe 2 lb 120z - stock can is 16

so almost 26 lbs just doing that

I have been looking for a race hood, pretty sure with headlight delete and airbox delete it should be another easy 12lbs.

other than the seat I don't see to much more to drop easily

roughriders

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
who's belt drive? I haven't seen any for the 2018 yet.

carbon fiber tunnel extension will drop 3lbs for $1200.

Niemikorpi

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2014
BDX sells viper beltdrive kit,i think it will fit to sidewinder.not sure about longer chaincase versions.

But im not 100℅ sure.

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
I installed a ballistic battery- 2lb 8oz, stock was 15lb
- cr straight pipe 2 lb 120z - stock can is 16

so almost 26 lbs just doing that

I have been looking for a race hood, pretty sure with headlight delete and airbox delete it should be another easy 12lbs.

other than the seat I don't see to much more to drop easily

26lbs is awesome for relatively cheap! Still have my ballistic batter left over from my Nytro, the thing is bulletproof!

Have you had to tune your sidewinder with the CR straight pipe?

Ya I've been looking for a lightweight hood airbox/headlight delete kit but I can't find anything that explicitly lists it's compatible with the sidewinder.

I was looking at the skinz seat but I couldn't find how much weight it dropped and which one was needed for the sidewinder. I'll try and update this thread with links to one that works once I find it.

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
Camso 2,8 conquer -11lb
Beltdrive if you can live without reverse -13 lb

I was thinking about the Conquer 2.8 as well since I may be looking at converting an BTX into an MTX anyway. Do you know if this 11lb weight loss is for the 153 or 162?

The belt drive is SUPER tempting, it would almost be worth losing reverse if I could drop 13 lbs and gain belt drive efficiency... I just have to figure out a way to get my sled off the sled deck without reverse! haha

zal

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northern Alberta and Northern BC
I'm coming off a 2012 180 kit nytro 162 and into a 162 sidewinder. Before that, a 290 hp apex 156". I would say ride the sled first before spending a ton of money on it. Its a night and day difference. But I will say this, get rid of the suitcase exhaust. Not only will it save you weight, but will also make it easier to service the chaincase.

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
I'm coming off a 2012 180 kit nytro 162 and into a 162 sidewinder. Before that, a 290 hp apex 156". I would say ride the sled first before spending a ton of money on it. Its a night and day difference. But I will say this, get rid of the suitcase exhaust. Not only will it save you weight, but will also make it easier to service the chaincase.

I hear ya, I'm sure the sidewinder is crazy sweet stock. I was lined up to ride one a couple days ago but life had other plans.

I figure if I like one stock, I'll like it even more with 50 lbs off of her.

Also, I have a chance to buy a BTX for significantly less than an MTX so I would be swapping a lot of these things out already and still come out ahead.

Niemikorpi

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2014
I was thinking about the Conquer 2.8 as well since I may be looking at converting an BTX into an MTX anyway. Do you know if this 11lb weight loss is for the 153 or 162?

The belt drive is SUPER tempting, it would almost be worth losing reverse if I could drop 13 lbs and gain belt drive efficiency... I just have to figure out a way to get my sled off the sled deck without reverse! haha

153" conquer is 11lb lighter than 153" powerclaw.

roughriders

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
26lbs is awesome for relatively cheap! Still have my ballistic batter left over from my Nytro, the thing is bulletproof!

Have you had to tune your sidewinder with the CR straight pipe?

Ya I've been looking for a lightweight hood airbox/headlight delete kit but I can't find anything that explicitly lists it's compatible with the sidewinder.

I was looking at the skinz seat but I couldn't find how much weight it dropped and which one was needed for the sidewinder. I'll try and update this thread with links to one that works once I find it.

no tune with cr pipe, installed air/fuel gauge for peace of mind but all was good.

stahlecker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2010
Western NE
On my 2015 Viper MTX. My 162 2.6 Powerclaw to 2.8 Conquer saved just over 12lbs. The BDX super lightweight brake rotor was worth a little more than 1lb.

I bought the aluminum 2018 Mountain Cat driveshaft to swap in as well. It would have saved more than 3lbs but then I noticed there are no reverse splines on the shaft I bought. If I am going to lose reverse I am definitely going to have a belt drive. Also the brake rotor is kept in place on the AL shaft with a nut rather than snap rings. Just an FYI in case someone else has my same idea.

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
On my 2015 Viper MTX. My 162 2.6 Powerclaw to 2.8 Conquer saved just over 12lbs. The BDX super lightweight brake rotor was worth a little more than 1lb.

I bought the aluminum 2018 Mountain Cat driveshaft to swap in as well. It would have saved more than 3lbs but then I noticed there are no reverse splines on the shaft I bought. If I am going to lose reverse I am definitely going to have a belt drive. Also the brake rotor is kept in place on the AL shaft with a nut rather than snap rings. Just an FYI in case someone else has my same idea.

Thanks for the info on the 162, I wonder what the difference between a 3" 162 powerclaw and the Conquer 2.8 is?

BDX superlite brake rotor details added to the original post list.

V

vector boy

Jan 5, 2008
Norfolk, NE
Difference on my 3" 153 to my 280 153 was 13 pounds.
MBRP Exhaust with muffpot was 9.5 pounds
Skinz seat off a Viper saved 4 pounds

Other things I've considered,
Lightweight battery
Lightweight brake rotor
Lightweight rear suspension arms

If you were to do a cold air intake and get rid of the airbox, you could crap all the intake section from under the hood and drop a significant amount of weight there as well. There's a ton of plastic up there, and with a different intake setup would be cheap and easy to get it off.

roughriders

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
once I get my parts I will be attempting to install an arctic cat nose cone with screen. hoping to prevent snow build up in the nose and keep the air flowing thru intercooler. will post a pic if it works.

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
Difference on my 3" 153 to my 280 153 was 13 pounds.
MBRP Exhaust with muffpot was 9.5 pounds
Skinz seat off a Viper saved 4 pounds

Other things I've considered,
Lightweight battery
Lightweight brake rotor
Lightweight rear suspension arms

If you were to do a cold air intake and get rid of the airbox, you could crap all the intake section from under the hood and drop a significant amount of weight there as well. There's a ton of plastic up there, and with a different intake setup would be cheap and easy to get it off.

So the skinz seat for the viper was a direct fit?

Also any idea who sells a cold air intake for the sidewinder or is it more of a “garage engineering” solution? Would be cool if there was a lightweight hood & cold air intake combo kit that was a direct bolt on.

zal

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northern Alberta and Northern BC
V

vector boy

Jan 5, 2008
Norfolk, NE
So the skinz seat for the viper was a direct fit?

Also any idea who sells a cold air intake for the sidewinder or is it more of a “garage engineering” solution? Would be cool if there was a lightweight hood & cold air intake combo kit that was a direct bolt on.

It was a direct fit, however I did need to trim my side panels just a smidge by the gas cap as the corners of the seat interfered with the closing of the panels. I can get pictures tomorrow since I’ve got it out in the trailer.

As for cold air intake, there are several companies that make them. Out of the hood styles I know EVO has one, and I have also seen MPI socks on some, but haven’t seen MPI ones available to purchase. Under the hood (which I don’t recommend due to sucking hot air) is the most popular and easier to find. Trail guys like these because they don’t have to worry about over the hood snow, and they keep the air flow so the engine heat isn’t as big of a deal. When the cold air intake is done, if I remember correctly all the intake portion on the hood is just screwed on and doesn’t need to be installed in order for the hood to stay together. Once removed, the original intake ports on the hood would just act as vents instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features