• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lightweight M1100 turbo

L
Jun 7, 2013
Iowa
Anybody do one yet with real world numbers?
Thinking about trying it if I can get the budget and
Enough weight off the nose.

Looking at a 2012 1100 turbo 162 with Speedwerx 4
position programmer, intake, muffler, and clutching.
Stock these sleds are said to be around 565 dry and
muffler drops 15 so down to 550 already. Here's a list
of what I am thinking might help/work

14 style M8000 seat and tank. -5 to -10
Battery and relocate -11
Camso 2.8 track -12
36" front suspension -4 and better handling
Headlight delete -10
Hcr cooler -10

All this could get it under 500 but still heavy in the nose.
I know relocating the rear suspension and stiffer front
shock spring helps with the feel but is there anywhere
else to loose weight on the nose? Intercooler or turbo?

Oct 6, 2013
I think you will find its much heavier than 565 dry. My XF1100T was 700lbs ready to roll full of fuel and oil on the scales. This had a studded track so there was some weight there but not over 50lbs. I think it would cost big cash to drop a hundred off this sled. Turn up the power and enjoy it.

Oct 6, 2013
Dont forget the cold air intake and get rid of the factory airbox on bottom side of hood. I think they make a light weight hood as well.

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
My results...

Anybody do one yet with real world numbers?
Thinking about trying it if I can get the budget and
Enough weight off the nose.

Looking at a 2012 1100 turbo 162 with Speedwerx 4
position programmer, intake, muffler, and clutching.
Stock these sleds are said to be around 565 dry and
muffler drops 15 so down to 550 already. Here's a list
of what I am thinking might help/work

14 style M8000 seat and tank. -5 to -10
Battery and relocate -11
Camso 2.8 track -12
36" front suspension -4 and better handling
Headlight delete -10
Hcr cooler -10

All this could get it under 500 but still heavy in the nose.
I know relocating the rear suspension and stiffer front
shock spring helps with the feel but is there anywhere
else to loose weight on the nose? Intercooler or turbo?
My 2013 M1100T 162 S/P Ltd comes in at 630 lbs wet, with tool kit, gas can, etc.
I've a EVO big chute turbo with all the goodies (exhaust, intake, intercooler fan, etc, headlight delete with mountain fit hood, cat vented panels, C3 belt drive, boss seat, C3 carbon tank, l/w battery (relocated), 2016 front end with exit shocks). I've a PC 3" track with avid drivers, heavy duty jackshaft, team tied and built cat primary with billet spider & 911 cover, skid plate, header/turbo blankets, 4 wheel kit and Kmod rear skid, so added a bit of weight back to the machine. Suspension setup is absolutely critical on these sleds, a heavier spring on the front track shock makes a world of difference. Even though my 13 800 S/P Ltd is 90 lbs wet (and it has a 925 big bore and a bunch of lightweight goodies), I'd rather ride the 4 stroke in most conditions other then super tight trees.
In short, it costs a pile of money to lighten these sleds up, and in the end simply doesn't add value to the resale. So be prepared to be married to it, or to take a huge hit when it comes time to sell, as the 4 stroke isn't very popular with the masses, even though it is a very capable mountain sled with some suspension tuning with a skilled rider at the bars...

JustBoostIt

Lifetime Membership
Done lots of 1100 lightweight projects. Go for a full mountain fit hood for increased weight loss. Belt drive drops a bunch, about half in the losing of reverse.....and then you have no reverse. I built 4 personal 300+ 1100s and I didn't have reverse in any of them. Whether it was from a belt drive or hyvo gears with no reverse, I've done it both ways.

Last edited:
L
Jun 7, 2013
Iowa
Anyone ever run one without the inercooler? I could probably drop 15 pounds without it and I have some skinz helium panels that might work on here and cut more weight without the intercooler. I dont need crazy hp so maybe i would be ok without it?

If I can get it down to 600 wet and within 80 pounds of my 2016 helium m8000 I would seriously go for this project for the reliability and power. If not then I might be looking for big bore options for the 2016

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Weight

I have a EVO super chute 310 hp M1100T.
I love the power but hate the weight.
I spent a lot of time and money trying to make it lighter and handle better. Carbon fiber hood. Boss seat. Battery relocate vented side panels. Belt drive so no reverse.
The sled has become a trail sled.
You'll never overcome the weight of the motor.
My turbo charged 2016 800 is more fun.
I'm not sure I'd try run it without the intercooler. Intake temps will be high. I had to add a intercooler fan to mine. I've been told the water to air intercooler is better yet.

Last edited:
J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Don't forget that you will lose about 3 pounds every ride when your belt grenades into a million little pieces.

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
I beg to differ...

Don't forget that you will lose about 3 pounds every ride when your belt grenades into a million little pieces.
I've got 1740 miles on mine, all boosted with EVO's 285 hp big chute kit. The original belt is in my bag as a spare with 950 miles on it, still looks good. The second belt on the machine is no worse for wear, either. Some of these sleds had alignment issues, but not all of them.

JustBoostIt

Lifetime Membership
Oh Karl, stop with your real world belt jargon, every 1100 ever was a belt blower and there was no way to fix ones that were right?.

No intercooler is not an option. Without it the intake temps can get into ranges the ecu starts pulling boost and timing to protect itself. The Evo intercooler fan kit drops temps over 30 degrees and is a noticeable improvement when the turbo starts to heat soak.

N
Feb 5, 2017
Kingsford, MI
2014 M9000

I have a 14" M9000, and I couldn't believe how heavy it was. The decal on the tunnel says. I thinks it's like 307 kg which is like 663 lbs. Super heavy but honestly, when you tune the suspension right and add a little power the sleds handle great.
I put a d&d straight pipe and manifold pipe
Adjusted front suspension to like 65 or 68 psi.
Cranked the front track shock spring as tight as I could. That imo helped the most. Adjusted air to like 125 psi ish in the rear track shock and road it. Adjusted front skis in as far as possible. Changing to new Arctic cat mountain front suspension helps I've read and seen on my buddies. Power comes on great and I'm running a stock sled so if yours has tunes and clutching I'd say just deal with the weight and get use to it. For me, the power definitely outweighs the weight. I love being able to grab a hand full of throttle, lift skis and listen to the straight pipe and turbo sing...
Again, imo great sleds just gotta develop a liking or it will ride you

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I think I built the most extensively modified 1100T I’ve seen on this board. I believe we got 90lbs off the sled. It was VERY expensive. I pretty much bought every light weight part we could get in 2014-2015. I also bought about every driveline upgrade available including a $2000 TAPP clutch. The exhaust is covered from y-pipe to can in EVO mil-spec blankets. Belts run just slightly warm no matter how hard I rode it. Sled looks new, less than 400 miles on it. If you want to save 70% on a build like this send me a PM. :face-icon-small-hap:present:

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
I too had a M1100. It was very fun sled to ride. Living in MN and riding out west a couple times a year though I found I was tired at the end of the day more than my buddies riding two strokes. Probably because we rode "all day".

That being said if I lived out west I would maybe still have it. I too had a Big Chute kit on mine running 260hp. It was a riot. Would be a great sled for the deep deep days.

n2otoofast4u

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2010
I think I built the most extensively modified 1100T I’ve seen on this board. I believe we got 90lbs off the sled. It was VERY expensive. I pretty much bought every light weight part we could get in 2014-2015. I also bought about every driveline upgrade available including a $2000 TAPP clutch. The exhaust is covered from y-pipe to can in EVO mil-spec blankets. Belts run just slightly warm no matter how hard I rode it. Sled looks new, less than 400 miles on it. If you want to save 70% on a build like this send me a PM. :face-icon-small-hap:present:
Pretty sure your sled is on CL for sale. You still own it? Ive been drooling on it a bit lately.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

brokenbones4

Lifetime Membership
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
They are much heavier than 565lbs stock. I just finished building one this summer. I just started a member's build thread if you want to see more about it. It came in at 527.6lbs. With no fuel. I could take another 15-30 out of it with a new track, rear suspension and manifold. Have a trip planned in a couple weeks for its Maiden voyage.
6839d0d8ce8f07e901b26ee9b44f87ae.jpg
7e8751e1e43364fc7fa9fff432b280ea.jpg
87fa5fd32e33f34ae5ab038010465e01.jpg
0ceb2f501ade42fdbd1bf158612fae34.jpg
05be8d934871dc84aea7f80584e94bef.jpg

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JustBoostIt

Lifetime Membership

I've built a few just like yours, even had a built motor in one:face-icon-small-hap

Premium Features