• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.
S
Oct 11, 2013
Hello, I just bought a new 2018 YZ 450 not Fx. What are some lighting options? Has anyone had success with helmet mount or battery operated lights that are NOT hooked up to the bike battery? Any advice or experiences with lights are appreciated! Thank you.

I only use battery powered bicycle lights, keep them in the backpack until needed. I only carry one unless I plan to be out at night, then I take two, one for the handlebar and one for my helmet. I will not tap into the electrical system on a mx bike, it's too fragile. You're only asking for problems.

Lachoneus

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2009
Cyclops works

And I will respectfully disagree with Teal (I guess) and say the Cyclops lights, though expensive, do work well with MX bikes (I have them on two YZ 450 bikes right now), no problems after 3-4 seasons. Where guys get into trouble is trying to run lights AND heated grips at the same time with MX bikes that have no batteries. Usually you can run both, BUT not at the same time. Quite a few other options out there if you don't want to spend quite so much $ with Cyclops. But Cyclops is top-notch customer service, the owner rides snowbikes, etc. and that to me is worth something when making an accessory purchase.

M
Jan 14, 2004
I run a cheap 6 LED light bar, 18W on my YZ. I don't have heated grips. I also have a helmet light but rarely use it. There is no need to cut any wires on a YZ (at least pre 18 models, can't comment for certain on the e start bikes) in order to add a light. The ECU plug where the programmer plugs in contains 3 wires. One is data, one is a ground and the last one is 12v+. You can do one of two things. Buy a new weather pack connector (sold by Eastern Beaver in Japan) and add the pins or just get the pins and add them to your blanking plug. It makes the light plug and play. Don't ever cut the wiring harness. JMO

M5

R
Apr 18, 2016
I have Helmet mounted lights made by Task Racing, I think they sell them at Rocky Mountain ATV now as well. They were pretty reasonably priced and I can run both lights for 4 hours full power on one pack, I have four packs. The set up we bought was to run in Baja and they made it all night. They are very well made and pretty darn bright. We had the bike lit up as well and these filled in the gap great. I have used them once at night on the snow bike and they did great. I tried to run them at night once on my sand bike out at the Dunes and with no light on the bike you outrun the light at like 40 (just a guess) it was still ride able but the speeds had to be lowered down a bit and it was just hard for me to ride with just those as the navigation and familiarity of where i was at just got hard. In The snow I was going slower and maybe the moon was shining enough or something so I could tell where I was easier. I always bring at least one light and one battery just in case....often I don't plan for what life tends to want to deal me.

M
Oct 12, 2017
Toronto
We used helmet mounted leds last winter for 3-4 rides. It worked really well and only cost ~ $25 batteries and charger included on Amazon. Never gave a problem and lit up the snow more than enough. I'll try to find the link and repost.

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
I ran these cheap CREE light bars last season and they worked great:

https://www.amazon.com/MICTUNING-MI...41009458&sr=8-31&keywords=cree+light+bar&th=1

thats exactly what I got on my bike and the left half of the light is dead, those LEDs dont come on anymore. I guess for $25 easy to replace. typical chinese LEDs.

not sure what wattage they draw, but my 13 sxf450 sure doesnt like running that LED headlight AND grip warmers.

hemlet headlamp and coolant bars are sounding like a good idea, with the baja designs stator upgrade just in case!

N

n16ht5

Aug 5, 2013
Pemberton, BC
I used the Cyclops Explorer battery powered LED light bar and dual helmet lights on my YZ450F last year. REALLY awesome lights, can't say enough about the explorer especially. The throw to weight ratio is crazy.. super light and small, small light battery, throws for hours. And it mounts / unmounts in about 5 minutes. I have had a few of the amazon/ebay el cheapo helmet / bar mounted lights and they never held up very long, as well as their rated output is completely exaggerated compared to the cyclops stuff. If you ride with me you know that I usually come back in the dark after a real long day. I need things 100% reliable.

40717607891_bc5d769f0b_h_d.jpg

39822464485_1f09fbe057_h_d.jpg

S
Sep 15, 2016
Vancouver, WA
I have a cheap light bar on my bike, wired to the battery with a switch. On one ride back to the truck last year it cut out for no apparent reason. I was on an icy road a few miles out and the light goes off, probably the most exciting (not in a good way) ride ever. Well made it back and it starts working again :face-icon-small-con . Now I will carry a back up I made a cheap led fog light with xt60 connector and a lipo battery from my RC stuff. Highly recommend carrying a backup flashlight.

heliwrench

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2015
I've run cheap chinese LED's and now have a Baja designs squadron LED. It is so much brighter its not even funny. Ya its expensive, but my only regret is spending 50$ on the chinese garbage in the first place and not just putting it towards the Baja design.

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
yeah the chinese light bars are a complete joke compared to brand name.

I had a 50" chinese one on my truck that threw about as much light as a rigid 20" light bar.

that cyclops battery operated headlight sounds very interesting... how much does it cost? how does it charge? how long does it last? what do the mounts look like? would be nice to not have to touch my stator power at all.

T
Feb 1, 2010
Entiat, WA
Cyclops has top notch stuff, and Darryl knows how to set stuff up. I have the Penetrator and their old Solstice HID helmet light. I've raced dirt with that setup, and either one alone will do the trick. Cyclops' newer LED helmet lights are top notch, and the Explorer light bar puts out more light with less draw from a smaller package than the Penetrator.

A
Jan 15, 2010
Sherwood Park AB
100% agree with your description of the explorer!!! A huge thumbs up to Cyclops for creating this!! I just installed one on my bike that I run locally in the winter with studded tires and was blown away with the light that little package throws. That in conjunction with a helmet light is the best package you can get. Don't forget, a monster light on your bike stays with the bike. I've done some hiking in the dark after a breakdown and having a high lumen light on the bike wasn't any help. Splitting between the bike and helmet fixes this issue and creates a great combination of spot and flood light while riding.
I used the Cyclops Explorer battery powered LED light bar and dual helmet lights on my YZ450F last year. REALLY awesome lights, can't say enough about the explorer especially. The throw to weight ratio is crazy.. super light and small, small light battery, throws for hours. And it mounts / unmounts in about 5 minutes. I have had a few of the amazon/ebay el cheapo helmet / bar mounted lights and they never held up very long, as well as their rated output is completely exaggerated compared to the cyclops stuff. If you ride with me you know that I usually come back in the dark after a real long day. I need things 100% reliable.

40717607891_bc5d769f0b_h_d.jpg

39822464485_1f09fbe057_h_d.jpg

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
Thanks

Thanks guys. I am proud to have been in on the bottom floor of single skis. First it was the Two motos and snowhawks, Then Timbersleds, now all the other great kits we have to ride. I am fairly certain I had the fist snowbike in Wa state. Thanks to Brett Blazer and Two moto.

Lots of choices on lights and several great companies to choose from. Dont buy on lumen #s etc its all BS. Optics are key. a lumen rating is not a good way to compare lights.
Here is a hint..Cree does not make lights, and if your buying a light that says it is Cree chances are it is counterfeit. If it is really cheep the chances are 99% it is fake. Do a google search on cree lights from china. you might be surprised. choose a light that works for your use and budget. If that's one of these great. every snowbiker should have some type of light, it may save your butt someday.

Our life time warrantied penetrator system has been the go to light for pros like Reagan Sieg, Brock Hoyer and many others. It is tough to beat or break. We have a setup for every bike out there.. With our new relayed harnesses there is no worry of leaving the light or grips on and killing a battery.

We dont always do eveything perfect, we do try. we can't prevent everything but should you have an issue with a Cyclops Adventure Sports light we are here to help.

B
Mar 30, 2016
I just mounted the cyclops explorer and I’m very impressed with it so far. Haven’t had it out in action yet but quality seems top notch and it’s super bright in my shop.

Attachments

• 82BE199B-3212-4CD5-AC83-B2BB54250D1F.jpeg
    82BE199B-3212-4CD5-AC83-B2BB54250D1F.jpeg
    534 KB · Views: 38
Premium Features