• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Let's see your rigs!!!

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
F
Dec 30, 2019
My first post here! Just got back into sledding after a 14 year hiatus. Got my wife of 23 years into it as well. Here's my trailer. It isn't much, but it is a work in progress. Caliber glides and flex glides are on their way. Over the next couple years I'm planning to convert this thing into a full on sled and moto hauler. This summer I will likely insulate the walls and ceiling, paint walls and ceiling white, maybe add a bit more lighting and will being keeping my eyes peeled for a decent used RV furnace. Eventually would like some upper storage cabinets and a tool chest in the "V". I may also epoxy the floor.......that is yet to be determined. I'm told this "drymax" holds up really well, but it sure just looks like OSB to me.

B.jpg

C.jpg

IMG_8630.jpg

IMG_8628.jpg

jzanc532

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2009
Rock Springs, WY
My first post here! Just got back into sledding after a 14 year hiatus. Got my wife of 23 years into it as well. Here's my trailer. It isn't much, but it is a work in progress. Caliber glides and flex glides are on their way. Over the next couple years I'm planning to convert this thing into a full on sled and moto hauler. This summer I will likely insulate the walls and ceiling, paint walls and ceiling white, maybe add a bit more lighting and will being keeping my eyes peeled for a decent used RV furnace. Eventually would like some upper storage cabinets and a tool chest in the "V". I may also epoxy the floor.......that is yet to be determined. I'm told this "drymax" holds up really well, but it sure just looks like OSB to me.

View attachment 336943

View attachment 336944

View attachment 336945

View attachment 336946
Is that trailer a 7x14?

T
Mar 13, 2019
Yes. Just got back from it’s maiden voyage yesterday....1600km.

How are you liking the 14" with just two of you. We (wife and I) are trying to decide on a trailer for us and are looking at 16' V nose and everyone thinks we are crazy and say go BIGGER. I think I should go to a 7.5' x 14' with 5' V nose (still a bit bigger then yours)

F
Dec 30, 2019
How are you liking the 14" with just two of you. We (wife and I) are trying to decide on a trailer for us and are looking at 16' V nose and everyone thinks we are crazy and say go BIGGER. I think I should go to a 7.5' x 14' with 5' V nose (still a bit bigger then yours)

I think for the two of us it’s about the perfect size. Mine only has about a 1-1/2’ or 2’ V-nose and there is still lots of room in the front for fuel, tools, maybe some wall cabinets eventually, etc... With the 7’ x 14’, two 155” sleds will only fit end to end because the inside width is only around 80” and the trailer isn’’t long enough to stagger both sleds facing forward. That said, there is enough room to bias the centre of mass of both sleds well forward of the centre of the axles, couple that with 20 gallons of fuel along with tools in the “V-nose”, and you easily get more than your 10% of the trailer’s weight on the tongue and as a result it tows very well. Tail never wagged the dog not once on that entire 1000 mile trip.

I did not want to go any bigger because I want the trailer to serve double duty for travelling for riding/racing some moto in the summer months.

One thing I would possibly change if I knew then what I know now is I would go for the standard height model instead of the “extra height” model. I just think it’s a lot of wasted space I didn’t need and wind resistance is a HUGE factor. We’re both 5’-7” I’m sure we would have lots of headroom regardless. My V-nose is not really a V-nose in terms of aerodynamics as compared to some dedicated sled trailers I see out there, but I suppose when the wind is in your favour the extra height actually helps you...lol.

I love the little set up, but to be honest I could see us going to a 1 ton truck and a sled deck in the future. The stress of winter trailering through the mountains is far worse in my opinion than worrying about the security of one’s sleds on an open deck vs enclosed trailer. Not to mention I averaged around 7-8 mpg that trip. Pales in comparison to buying a new diesel rig, but after that trip I can see the value of simply having a sled deck. Instead of the terror of worrying about your trailer passing you while decending a winding mountain pass on icy roads, you instead get some extra weight over your rear axle and NO trailer...lol. Nevertheless I still love my current set-up and will stick it out for at least a few seasons until I really get a feel for what I want. Also there are several nice advantages to having your mobile garage along for the trip lol.

F9E928EC-C4DE-446E-8459-408146D0441C.jpeg

Last edited:
T
Mar 13, 2019
I love the little set up, but to be honest I could see us going to a 1 ton truck and a sled deck in the future. The stress of winter trailering through the mountains is far worse in my opinion than worrying about the security of one’s sleds on an open deck vs enclosed trailer

Thanks for all the good info. I hear you. Trailers suck (we have lots) but are often needed. Are plans are the same with going to a flat deck on a truck. We've got two kids and the idea is to have two sleds on the truck and two in the trailer if needed. The ability to warm up a sled and work on a sled in a trailer is nice too. I also like the idea of the storage for the off season. I have a buddy that stacks them two high with windshields removed and handle bars turned down. It's a bit klunky and I wouldn't want to haul them like that but it works for the summer months. I am willing to sacrifice the ease of towing for a drive in and drive out model with a bit more room in the front but still keeping it as small as possible. So many options!

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
Thanks for all the good info. I hear you. Trailers suck (we have lots) but are often needed. Are plans are the same with going to a flat deck on a truck. We've got two kids and the idea is to have two sleds on the truck and two in the trailer if needed. The ability to warm up a sled and work on a sled in a trailer is nice too. I also like the idea of the storage for the off season. I have a buddy that stacks them two high with windshields removed and handle bars turned down. It's a bit klunky and I wouldn't want to haul them like that but it works for the summer months. I am willing to sacrifice the ease of towing for a drive in and drive out model with a bit more room in the front but still keeping it as small as possible. So many options!

Even with a narrow V, you really gotta watch how you load 163's on the deck, and still hope to pull into the gas pump. We put a witness mark in the trailer this year.
Gotta splay the tracks way out so that they are at 102" as well.

We put the 175 in the trailer for just this reason!

If you are ordering a trailer for this app, might see if you can git an extra 6" on the tongue length.

R
Oct 4, 2019
My current truck, first full size gasser I’ve owned but heaviest thing I’m towing anymore is a 4,000lb travel trailer. It’s a 2009 F350, 6.8 V10, auto, 6” lift, 37’s, 5.13 gears, ARB locker in the rear, 5-Star tunes with a SCT Livewire, 80,000 miles and runs great! Currently looking for an enclosed trailer for the bikes/timbersled for this winter...
A7F80B58-C1B4-4451-9CC0-AEFE0856CF4C.jpeg
49A3B04E-7F7C-434E-B7CD-320CA22509C5.jpeg
61EAE260-9E85-42B3-9B78-4CADC438CBB1.jpeg

02sedona

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Reno, NV
2002 ram 2500 diesel 5spd with 261,000 on the odometer.
Carli suspension performance 2.0 kit and dt profab track bar. Method rims with cooper stt pro tires. Quadzilla tuner, glacier diesel mechanical fuel pump, 4” diamond eye exhaust and bosch rv275 injectors for engine upgrades.
Sold the sled deck and hoping to find a flatbed to install for hauling sleds

6BF15440-E8C3-469D-B2DF-23654A70CA4F.jpeg873E851A-A835-488A-865F-955B761F4E32.jpeg

A1AB3466-2EBB-4642-9E1A-79A12EDDCCAC.jpeg

Last edited:
Premium Features