• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Left on the hill again! '07 600 RMK HO Electrical Problem

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
Check the ignition coil itself, the one your plug wires connect to. When those go bad or wires get lose it kinda acts like you describe.

C
Nov 30, 2007
Grand Junction, CO
Update

So I took it up after checking all connections and dy-elec'ing all of them. Damn thing ran great all day. Still not convinced though, as it did give me a couple little hesitations after being on the throttle hard, and then letting off all of a sudden...it would kinda miss like it was going to die, but I'd blip the throttle, and it would settle down into a perfect idle.

I'll try the white connector next.

Keep the ideas coming, this is why I love snowest. :beer;

mark

Lifetime Membership
Sep 26, 2001
Wyoming
600 ho

I just bought one of these sleds for my son. Every dealer I talked to said this sled was bullet proof. I hope mine is different.

How many miles do you guys have on your problem 600s'?

Thanks

Sxrlar

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
I have 5238 miles on my 07 600. The only issue I had was one of he coolant hoses that run under the motor by the motor mount, rubbed through and put a small hole in it. I fixed that, and that has been it with problems with mine. Awesome sled.:D

C
Nov 30, 2007
Grand Junction, CO
problem persists

TTT

Went out yesterday for the first ride of the season. Sled runs perfect, but after it's warmed up and I do a hard pull across a meadow or whatever followed by letting off the throttle to make a turn, sometimes it will just die.

If I catch it and blip the throttle while it's dieing, that prevents it from dieing and it just settles down into a normal idle. If I don't blip the throttle, it will die, and so far this year it has fired right back up on the first pull, and acts normal.

I did the combo of hard pull/let it die about 10 times yesterday to confirm that it's not a fluke. (it's sporadic, about 1 out of every 4 hard pulls it dies) Once again, this is on a 2007 600 HO Carb.

When it dies, it sounds like you just hit the kill switch. It just shuts off.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Have you looked at the piston wash? Also pull the exhaust manifold off and look at the pistons for scoring. I squeaked a piston a few years back and it died and started right up again. It did it a few more times before it finally grenaded altogether. Had some junk in one of the carb passageways that made it run lean. My plugs looked fine by the way.

C
Nov 30, 2007
Grand Junction, CO
could it be a fuel problem???

Maybe I'm jaded by the previous experience when it died and had no spark. Could this be a totally different issue????

Took off the manifold last night and the pistons look fine.

A buddy recently raised the jetting as a potential problem, specifically the needle and pilot. Could this be causing what I'm experiencing? What would I look for in the carbs to diagnose? My plugs are a nice chocolate brown color so I know I've got my mains right, but I don't know much about tuning the pilot or needle.

SLP Single Pipe, Can, Airhorn w/ 3 flowrites installed.

Again, it will die after a hard pull and then let off. Can prevent it from dieing if I blip the throttle right when it starts to die.

W
Dec 16, 2007
i don't know if this will help...but my old '07 600 would pull some crazy electrical malfunction stuff, and it could usually be fixed by changing the plugs in it. Weird.

D
Throttle/RPM safety cutout??

After I leaned out the pilot circuit on my '07 600 carb , the idle RPM was too high....When I touched the idle adjustment knob the engine just died....After I adjusted it , the engine started and has run normal ever since....Is it possible there is a safety cutout if the engine RPM is too high when the throttle is off...It would be an easy fix if you just needed to lower your idle adjustment....The throttle overide is different on this 600 then my '02 800 so I'm still learning

H
Nov 26, 2007
Lake Cle Elum
richen up the fuel screw a full turn and see if it still does it. it sounds like a real lean condition, hve you replaced your carb boots some were really bad and cracked letting air in.

C
Nov 30, 2007
Grand Junction, CO
Jetting

Ok, tore into the carbs. Is the screw with the white plastic head the fuel screw? If so, they were set at 1/4 turn out. Could that be causing the problem? I turned them out another 1/2 turn, so now they are at 3/4 turn out. I will have to wait for snow to re-test. Carb boots looked ok, no visible cracks.

I ride at 9-12k, and have SLP Single, Can, Airhorn and 3 flowrites.
Jetting is:

290/300 mains - this seems perfect, it rips at WOT
Needle clip in 2nd position from top
.6 (this is the air jet, correct?)
3/4 turn out on fuel screw (was 1/4 out)

Not sure on Pilot Jet - how do you get in to check this?

Last edited:
H
Nov 26, 2007
Lake Cle Elum
The pilot is in the main carb body up inside the little hole next to the needle jet. Takes a small screwdriver to get it out. 1/4 turn is way lean as lean as you can get with a given pilot jet. 1.5 turns is optimal with a given pilot and that is how you can tell if your pilot is too lean if you are to far 1 way or the other you need to richen accordingly ( 1/4 turn and it is still rich go down a size, 3 turns and still too lean go up a size)
easy answer turn it to 1.5 and see if the problem goes away. How does the sled idle? if it sits for 2-3 minutes does the idle elevate? if you pull the choke does it go back on the idle?

T
Dec 2, 2007
Kent, WA USA
I had a problem with one of my 07 600s when the left side controls would get wet it would either die when let off to idle or it would shift in and out of reverse continuously took my switches all apart and dielectric-ed everything and put it back together and the problem went away now I keep the sled covered to and from the hill when on my sled deck.

H
Nov 26, 2007
Lake Cle Elum
like I said if you disconnect the large white plug coming out of the stator you will eliminate any chassis electrical problems. you will have to use the choke to kill the sled but it will take many problems off the table

T

Trenchmaster

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
Not to sure if this will help you or not, but when I took my 07 600 HO out of storage for the summer I had some problems getting it to run right (was ideling way to fast). I asked for some help on here and found out that I could run my sled with the kill switch/throttle safety switch unplugged. Sounds like your sled dies when you let off on the throttle, could be a problem with the throttle safety switch. Next time your sled dies on you and won't re-start try to unplug the kill switch and see if this resolves your problem. You will have to shut your sled off with the key or choke, you don't want to run your sled like this for long, Good luck!!

Last edited:
T

Trenchmaster

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
I had a problem with one of my 07 600s when the left side controls would get wet it would either die when let off to idle or it would shift in and out of reverse continuously took my switches all apart and dielectric-ed everything and put it back together and the problem went away now I keep the sled covered to and from the hill when on my sled deck.

I think this is the problem I had when I put my sled away, I got water in the switches with my pressure washer and it did the exact same thing!!!

C
Nov 30, 2007
Grand Junction, CO
UPDATE - Problem may be found....

So today I tore into it again.

I'm sitting there, letting it idle, and I accidentally pull the throttle back towards me. This shifted the pivot bolt in the flipper of course, and it died exactly like it does on the mountain. I repeated this at least 10 time to be sure. Bingo. So the sled runs perfectly untill I let off the throttle, and then if the flipper is pulled back towards the rider, it dies right away.

I tried the same thing on my wife's 06 600, and it does not do this. You can sit there and wiggle the flipper around every which way and it doesn't die.

So what do I do? Replace the whole throttle/flipper unit? Ideas?

Premium Features