• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

LeakDown results- post em up

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Ouch! For your sake I hope Dan was just throwing numbers out...

He had 3.5% for new, 1.5% for broken in and running strong, 7% junk...

5.5% at 3-400 miles by the numbers given, doesn't bode well. Maybe Dan can clarify.

I guess this is hard to pick a number that works for everyone.

My personal feeling is don't expect great performance without great low leak down numbers.

0 to 2.5 great

2.6 to 5.0 fair

5.1 to 7.5 not good

7.6 and above bad

Dan

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
With the changes to the 2020 Polaris 850, I'm not expecting any problems however I always do a baseline on all my sleds at the beginning of the season. Anyone else do baselines leak down, compression and follow up tests? For those of you that plan some engine mods (or new to motor mods), examples: single, or twin pipes, heads, big bore, turbos etc I would recommend putting some break in miles first. I know many of you semi pro builders know enough about your motors to just mod them from day one. Hoping everyone has a great year on the snow!!

I repeated the leak down test on my 850 with a different test kit and ended up with the same results as my more expensive tester. The cheaper one is an OTC 5609 on line.
My tests using 100psi at TDC was 98 which = 2% leak down. I only use Polaris Extreme oil. Test done at room temp and motor cooled to touch after running. If you haven't done one before I would use something soft (like a Q-tip) to find TDC top dead center after pulling your spark plugs. Of course do 1 cylinder at a time, but you will need something or someone to hold the primary clutch from spinning once you add air pressure. Do not damage your clutch!! A clutch tool from SLP works great or you could be careful and use a wooden broom handle. Once I find TDC I put a sharpie mark on the end of the clutch bolt so I know it hasn't rotated under pressure.
1st pic is gauge hooked up before air pressure added.
2nd pic is with 100psi shown on left gauge, right gauge is how much the cylinder is holding.
3rd is Operating instructions. At the bottom you will see that my cylinder at 100psi held 98psi which translates to 2 percentage of leakage.
4th Cheap kit that can be ordered on line for cheap at less than 1/5th of my "good brand" that showed the same results.
5th OTC cheap compression tester. Didn't read as high as my higher $ tester, but it was consistent on several cylinders I tested. When I test compression with any tester, I only compare prior readings from the same tester for this reason. What is more important to me it the pressure differential between cylinders. For example if one is 130psi, and the next one is 115psi you have a problem.
6th is the cheap compression test kit part # 5606
7th is my reference above about marking the clutch bolt once you've found TDC.
Hope this helps.

B
Sep 24, 2009
Yakima Wa

My personal feeling is don't expect great performance without great low leak down numbers.

0 to 2.5 great

2.6 to 5.0 fair

5.1 to 7.5 not good

7.6 and above bad

Dan
I have an SLP leak down tester that only has one gauge. The instructions show quite different results than what's posted here & testing on a couple of used decent running engines also show higher numbers [14 & 18%] Is it just the type of gauge I have? What brand is everyone else using?

The following was taken from the SLP Leak Down Tester instruction sheet:

Cylinder leakage on a new engine or good condition cylinder walls and piston rings should be
within the 5% to 15% range and is best for power. Good service from the engine can be as much
as 25% for average use. Over 25% would be recommended to install new rings and pistons if
needed. Check cylinder for excess clearance, out of round or taper, repair as needed.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
When you get above 5%, it’s a very noticeable change in performance. 2g weight change will not regain consistent rpm. Torque drops off big time at 5% and you will start chasing clutching without improvement. At 9% your 850 feels like a 550.

B
Sep 24, 2009
Yakima Wa
When you get above 5%, it’s a very noticeable change in performance. 2g weight change will not regain consistent rpm. Torque drops off big time at 5% and you will start chasing clutching without improvement. At 9% your 850 feels like a 550.
Thanks, I get all of that & I agree. But my tester is a single gauge tester and I believe it's operating at a lower pressure which might be changing the acceptable percentages. I'm hoping that someone experienced with a single gauge tester can confirm that & give some more definitive percentages for that particular type of tester. If not, I'll upgrade to a twin gauge in order to have comparable percentages with everyone else. I'm looking at the OTC tester, any recommendations?

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
I have a OTC and it works great. Could you post a picture of the single gauge tester that you have? Just wondering if there would be a way to add a pressure gauge to it.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
You can google how to make a leak down tester. It will also give you ideas on how to modify your single gauge unit.

05 love your avitar

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
That’s a very interesting setup. Wonder which side of the gauge the orifice is on? I would replace the gauge with a better gauge.
It needs a gauge on the regulator to guarantee a100 psi static feed.

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Good to see people getting involved with leak down testing.

As far as numbers go ....and different tester.

The numbers I thru our we're a bit Radom and when I say that I meant exactly that. ( many here bring up good points ) suck as same tester ? What air pressure ? Cold motor , warm motor ? Hot motor ? New sled ? 250 miles , 500 miles, 750 miles 1000 miles.

Let's simplify this....

as far as tester go, we mainly use 2 different ones, ( and we and we constantly cross check them against each other. ( and someone brought up to buy the one that Indydan uses. ). Well here is where I need to explain.

We use an OTC, and a Snap on ...... Then we randomly test the import ones we sell... The import ones have been brought into offer a cheap price which was kinda stupid because they are a little random. ( but we are going to bring in only the OTC Dual gauge one. ) and stick with that. )

But let's just say we have to work with numbers from all different gauges so we can be real about all this.

Trouble shooting two stroke performance motors...... Is complex and if you are infatuated with peak performance then you should leak down test your new sled before you drive it.

Then at 250, 500, 750, 1000, 1500, 2000 and so on ( ball park of thes numbers. )

All that really matters is that either they stay very close to the same with little change from new..

Or...... The test starts out a little on th bad Side because of sub-par cylinder roundness or a below average set of rings ..... Let say 6 percent and the numbers keep getting better as it breaks in let say down to 1-1/2% to 3% and then stabilizes and flattened off.

No mater what guage, what pressure, or what technique if the numbers start to go up the need for a rebuild is coming. Soon

And here is the most important part of of all..... If the pull on the recoil rope starts to get harder and harder over time the motor on its way out.

Why does this happen you ask ? ( trust me your compression test numbers will not being going up..... ) but your leak down numbers will be going up.

What is happening is your rings and or Pistons ( most often both ) are failing and the hard pull on the rope comes from and pressure is going past the rings and pressurizing the crankcase and the motor starts fighting itself so to speak.

Don't be fooled by a great ring seal that is a crisp distinctive snap of the piston going over TDC ...... With great seperation .

Verses a poor overall hard pull that just feels ****ty and both cylinders kinda feel somewhat rolled together that lacks separation.

Leak down is the single best ( Motor ) performance trouble shooting test ( period )

Not, clutching and fuel mapping test.

I hope this helps.

Dan

Last edited:
B
Sep 24, 2009
Yakima Wa
We use an OTC, and a Snap on ...... Then we randomly test the import ones we sell... The import ones have been brought into offer a cheap price which was kinda stupid because they are a little random. ( but we are going to bring in only the OTC Dual gauge one. ) and stick with that.
I couldn't find any testers on your website. How much is the OTC?

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
I bought an OTC dual gauge tester off Summit Racing for $80; would be a great bargain if it were the same quality as old school OTC tools, but it's China stuff. Probably better than a no-name off Amazon, but still, I suspect it shows a bit more leakdown than it should. Unfortunately, I don't have another gauge to check it against. Seems like there's quite a bit of variation between cheap testers, probably even from unit to unit from the same manufacturer. Given that, it's probably best to use your gauge to check several known good motors and make the highest reading you see your baseline. https://www.hotrod.com/articles/hrdp-1203-budget-leakdown-testers-tested/

matchrocket

Premium Member
Mar 2, 2016
Boise

0 to 2.5 great

2.6 to 5.0 fair

5.1 to 7.5 not good

7.6 and above bad

Dan
Dan,

Are these #'s a good target for the AXYS 800's as well?

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I'll play.

2020 800 Axys ~400 miles as I didn't fire the sled up to confirm.
Cold engine and didn't spin it over so rings are likely dry as it hasn't run since last Saturday.
I made a piston holding tool out of an old spark plug, welded a 3/8" nut on it so the 3/8" redi-rod would thread thru. Rounded the business end of the rod and affixed an indexing washer on the other end to watch rotation of the rod to allow piston travel once in operation.
Piston determined to be BDC with threaded plunger and install OTC dual gauge leak down tester that is not confirmed to be accurate but will be consistently used over time on the same engine.
At TDC of the tested piston I'm showing 2-3# of pressure drop. I released the pressure hose and turned the rod out 1 rotation and reattached the pressure hose to the gauge. I could hear the air passing the rings and saw about 10# of pressure loss. This happened on both holes.
I'm open to comments about cold engine, warm engine, oil in cylinders, etc. I was actually interested to see how far down the bore the piston would travel before the pressure showed a significant drop. Just one turn of the redi-rod kind of surprised me so I thought I would wait for a response before I continued on with the experiment. I also neglected to do a compression test on this engine, next time.

IMG_8527.jpg IMG_8528.jpg IMG_8532.jpg IMG_8533.jpg

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
HOLD ON AND DON’T DO ANYTHING YET !

never mind I paniced when you said piston stop and I didn’t see the adjustable long stop.

I have seen people break pistons if the piston has a run at the stop.

carry-on

I like room temp 70 degrees or a warmer motor.

11% is not so great with 400 miles…. I would ride it another 400 and chk again…. if it gets better ok

if it gets worse, I would pull it down and get the cylinder honed correctly.

Then I would re-ring it or put piston kits in if the skirts are worn

Last edited:

mt.sledder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Saskatchewan
HOLD ON AND DON’T DO ANYTHING YET !

never mind I paniced when you said piston stop and I didn’t see the adjustable long stop.

I have seen people break pistons if the piston has a run at the stop.

carry-on

I like room temp 70 degrees or a warmer motor.

11% is not so great with 400 miles…. I would ride it another 400 and chk again…. if it gets better ok

if it gets worse, I would pull it down and get the cylinder honed correctly.

Then I would re-ring it or put piston kits in if the skirts are worn
Dan
Can you post a video of you performing a leak down test so everyone knows the proper procedure for doing it? That would really clarify the process and I'm sure it would be appreciated.

Premium Features