• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

LeakDown results- post em up

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Thumbs up !

So nice to see people going thru the work to check their leak down %

Leak down numbers don’t lie.

If you have leak down numbers in the 1 to 3%..... your top end will make really good power if all other areas are functioning correctly.

4 & 5% are still ok.... past 5% starts to get a little grey.

If it stays at 5% for a several hundred miles not horrible.... but you won’t have the fastest sled on the block.

6,7,8,9,10 % in my opinion it needs to come apart soon.

Dan

Last edited:

RMK-King

Super-Moderator
Dec 25, 2007
North Dakota
What temperature is the engine at when you test yours Dan? I did mine at room temp "65F" and did not run it prior to testing. Maybe I should have done it with a warm engine instead?

gdwrnch10

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2007
northern Utah
leak down

my leakdown tested just under 2% at 612 miles. Has ran great from the start. Reflash cleared up slight richness at low rpms. These are all mountain miles

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
What temperature is the engine at when you test yours Dan? I did mine at room temp "65F" and did not run it prior to testing. Maybe I should have done it with a warm engine instead?

70 degrees sat overnight

Not warmed up

To give people so,etching to hang their hat on........ ( an example )

A 2002 500 XC EDGE was dropped off because it doesn't run right.

Customer said it starts good and idles pretty good...... But it it seems really rich and has not top end speed.

One of the shop guys drove it and said it seems like it needs to be jetted down a few sizes on both pilots and mains.

I said check if it has stack jetting....... It was already down one size from stock..

I said do a leak down check

45% on the PTO and 3% on the MAG.

Np tuning in the world will fix this problem..... Yes it will run better jetted down on one cylinder.

But it's down 45% power on one cylinder.

Leak down is the best trouble shooting you can do.

Dan

Last edited:

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
70 degrees sat overnight

Not warmed up

To give people so,etching to hang their hat on........ ( an example )

A 2002 500 XC EDGE was dropped off because it doesn't run right.

Customer said it starts good and idles pretty good...... But it it seems really rich and has not top end speed.

One of the shop guys drove it and said it seems like it needs to be jetted down a few sizes on both pilots and mains.

I said check if it has stack jetting....... It was already down one size from stock..

I said do a leak down check

45% on the PTO and 3% on the MAG.

Np tuning in the world will fix this problem..... Yes it will run better jetted down on one cylinder.

But it's down 45% power on one cylinder.

Leak down is the best trouble shooting you can do.

Dan

So just out of curiosity, in your opinion do you think if he had done a standard compression test he would have noticed a difference as well?

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
So just out of curiosity, in your opinion do you think if he had done a standard compression test he would have noticed a difference as well?

Theres a good chance not. One of my trail sleds (04 pro x2) i seized tight let it cool at a gas station broke it loose by grabbing the primary at the gas station fired it up and drove it 50 miles home. Ran completely fine. Before tearing it down i did a compression test, 125 psi both sides... Tore it down, cylinder was all tore up and the piston had a standard 4 corner seizure.

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com

Compression check does not work very good.

To much much piston speed...

People holding the throttle open....doingg everything to get it higher.

To many pulls.

Leak down is the only way to see the truth.

Major damage can be found with compression check.... but it’s still lame.

Dan

polaris bob

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 16, 2002
Michigan
Definitely the BIGGEST troll on this site - by far!! No self-control at all. Nothing he says has any value at all, and adds NOTHING worthwhile or constructive to the conversation!

Surely there is someone who might enjoy his "contributions" on another part of this forum (cat section) . . .or on another site altogether, would be best case scenario.

I have found that the "ignore" feature works VERY well to keep that little "bugger" away :)

please please please share with the class how I go about putting this troll on ignore

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
I have the OTC tester and have never got good numbers. 1 ride on a brand new top end and I'm getting 4% & 5%. Compression test is 128psi both cylinders though.

Prior to the first rebuild I was seeing 7% & 8%. It was running 250-300 RPM shy of my buddies 850. Oil line popped off and it was tore down. Here were the pistons:

picture.php

picture.php

What do people think happened to these pistons ? ........, what causes that kind of damage to pistons and rings ? I would really like to hear opinions.

I wonder if a head with a ( State Name ) would have helped this problem ? I wonder if milling machine grooves in the combustion chamber would cure the piston problem ?

7 to 8% leak down found this......... those pistons and rings are junk.

Compression would have most likely showed nothing wrong.

Dan

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
What do people think happened to these pistons ? ........, what causes that kind of damage to pistons and rings ? I would really like to hear opinions.

If you turn the volume up, you can hear how the competition reacts to the 850 Patriot's first year out.

https://youtu.be/0SNqvFN4RnU

The 850 better start worrying about the Cat...... the Alpha is one badazz machine.

Polaris will not get good consistant performance feedback until they get their cylinder finish problem fixed.

Inconsistant cylinder finish means inconsistant piston life.....which sad to say leads to sleds that run complete different within the same exact model.

Dan

06redrevx

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2008
The 850 better start worrying about the Cat...... the Alpha is one badazz machine.

Polaris will not get good consistant performance feedback until they get their cylinder finish problem fixed.

Inconsistant cylinder finish means inconsistant piston life.....which sad to say leads to sleds that run complete different within the same exact model.

Dan

<div>I do agree, but cat is having their share of inconsistent running as well.</div><div>Figuring out all this inconsistency will benefit us consumers greatly!</div>

N
Mar 7, 2018

Is your opinion the cylinder finish?

Could it be a chamfer issue on exhaust port as well chewing things up?

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
The cylinders were smooth. They looked and felt like every other 2 stroke cylinder I have seen.

Premium Features