• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Last-ditch effort to learn to love Gen 4

600 rmk 144

Jan 26, 2009
I’ve always been a Polaris guy but I switched to a Summit SP 600R 154 this year because the pickings were slim and I’ve always been curious about them. I ride deep snow/mountains/backcountry exclusively.

The track ripped at ~300 miles, for no apparent reason; after going through the dealer and several CS reps BRP won’t warranty it no matter what. Fine, I repaired it and it seems to be holding up. That experience still left a sour taste in my mouth.

I disliked the T-motion, the budget shocks, and the wide, flexy running boards right off the bat, but tried to get used to them. After a couple hundred frustrating miles, I installed ZRP lockout washers, Durapro ski rubbers, and centered the skis. Those changes helped a lot and improved the sled 100% in my eyes.

However, I still have a 600 mountain sled with a subpar shock package and lousy running boards. If I upgrade the shocks and the boards, I’ll have a $16k sled that handles almost on par with my buddies’ 800/850 AXYS sleds but is still just a 600.

So my question to the forum members here is, why should I stick with this sled and not just sell this thing and snow check a MATRYX? This is an honest question, I would really like to improve this sled but don’t know if it’s worth it.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
I'm gonna be honest, this is a really weird post..

You bought a 600, but now you are complaining that its a 600.. lol.

No one can tell you if it'll be "worth it" or if you should just sell it.. That's entirely up to you. One man's junk is another's prized possession.

If money is no object to you just go order something else. I've tried to make myself happy with a sled, the spending never stops and it'll go all down the drain when it comes time to sell the sled.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
The X and Expert running boards are a lot better than the SP boards.

SP shocks are no better than standard Polaris shocks.

Polaris had to redesign its 8 series 2.75 track and its drivers for 2022 because of issues with ratcheting and track damage.

My buddy got 4100 hard miles out of his track on his Summit SP 850 - go figure.

Sounds like you know what you need to doo. Sell the 600 and buy a Polaris and make sure to get a good warranty.

R
Nov 16, 2016
I'm sorry to hear that you are disappointed in your Doo.

The first thing to come to terms with (if you have not already), is that Toys are never investments..... they are always expenses. Boats, RVs, snowmobiles, motorcycles, ATVs, UTvs, Side-X-Sides, and so on.
We buy a Toy for $XX,XXX, we use it, we upgrade it, and we end up selling it for much less.
If we make a bad choice, we just suck it up and move on the next one.

I'm with Motorbreath, other than to suggest going back to a Polaris, no one here can advise you as to what to do next.

As for your track damage, you are apparently not the only one who has had trouble.
I have a friend who's 2018 Summit track ripped while still within the warrantee period.
Doo would not replace it. I think that stinks!

That said, I will stay with Doo.

IMG_3576.PNG IMG_3577.PNG IMG_3578.PNG IMG_3579.PNG

BirdmanID

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2019
Idaho falls
Is the problem that its a gen4 or that it’s a 600?

A set of takeoff expert shocks are the easiest/cheapest way to improve the suspension, the kyb’s are very good.

What doesn't the sled do that you would like it to?

600 rmk 144

Jan 26, 2009
I'm gonna be honest, this is a really weird post..

You bought a 600, but now you are complaining that its a 600.. lol.

No one can tell you if it'll be "worth it" or if you should just sell it.. That's entirely up to you. One man's junk is another's prized possession.

If money is no object to you just go order something else. I've tried to make myself happy with a sled, the spending never stops and it'll go all down the drain when it comes time to sell the sled.
I’m not complaining that it’s a 600, just noting that that’s what it is. I can live with it, but I really only bought it to save $3k compared to an 850. Money is always an object, I’m not poor but I work hard for it.

600 rmk 144

Jan 26, 2009
The X and Expert running boards are a lot better than the SP boards.

SP shocks are no better than standard Polaris shocks.

Polaris had to redesign its 8 series 2.75 track and its drivers for 2022 because of issues with ratcheting and track damage.

My buddy got 4100 hard miles out of his track on his Summit SP 850 - go figure.

Sounds like you know what you need to doo. Sell the 600 and buy a Polaris and make sure to get a good warranty.
I don’t like the X/Expert boards either, they’re too wide and still not as rigid as Pro boards or tubulars.

As for shocks, the WE monotubes seem to perform far better than the base shocks on the SP for me. Doesn’t matter anyway because if I went with a new sled I would get Velocities.

600 rmk 144

Jan 26, 2009
Is the problem that its a gen4 or that it’s a 600?

A set of takeoff expert shocks are the easiest/cheapest way to improve the suspension, the kyb’s are very good.

What doesn't the sled do that you would like it to?
I can live with the 600, as I mostly ride around 2000-4000’. It’s more that the thought of having $15-16k in a 600 kind of turns me off.

To answer your question, I’d like it to have good shocks and narrow, stiff boards. I think those upgrades would really improve the handling on steep sidehills and technical terrain. The small mods I made already have been an improvement, but not enough.

I’d like to try some takeoff Expert shocks, but they’re hard to come by in AK. There’s a set of brand new X takeoffs for sale locally for $650, which seems like a good price... but I’ve ridden a couple X sleds and didn’t think it was a huge improvement. Guess I could try them and get them revalved if needed.

T

Thielio20

Oct 6, 2018
Interior, AK
I can live with the 600, as I mostly ride around 2000-4000’. It’s more that the thought of having $15-16k in a 600 kind of turns me off.

To answer your question, I’d like it to have good shocks and narrow, stiff boards. I think those upgrades would really improve the handling on steep sidehills and technical terrain. The small mods I made already have been an improvement, but not enough.

I’d like to try some takeoff Expert shocks, but they’re hard to come by in AK. There’s a set of brand new X takeoffs for sale locally for $650, which seems like a good price... but I’ve ridden a couple X sleds and didn’t think it was a huge improvement. Guess I could try them and get them revalved if needed.
Get ahold of Delta powersports, they've had take-off shocks around the shop in the past. If you're really trying to stick with the gen4 platform.. buy some legit fox or raptor shocks. You can always take them off and sell them separately or move them to a different sled in the future. I've had the same set on 2 different sleds in the last 3 years and it has a huge impact on how much more I enjoy my summits. OR just snowcheck a matryx. Also the running board reinforcements really arent that expensive and they help to stiffen everything up quite a bit.

600 rmk 144

Jan 26, 2009
Get ahold of Delta powersports, they've had take-off shocks around the shop in the past. If you're really trying to stick with the gen4 platform.. buy some legit fox or raptor shocks. You can always take them off and sell them separately or move them to a different sled in the future. I've had the same set on 2 different sleds in the last 3 years and it has a huge impact on how much more I enjoy my summits. OR just snowcheck a matryx. Also the running board reinforcements really arent that expensive and they help to stiffen everything up quite a bit.
Thanks, really appreciate that input.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
When I had my 2017 Summit SP, I was looking into upgrading the shocks. I was told at that time that the X shocks are valved exactly the same as the SP shocks. So if you do buy the X shocks they will be a little lighter, but they will need to be valved stiffer if you are into the technical sidehill type of riding.

I agree with Thielio20. and also, used aftermarket shocks fetch a decent price and sell quickly. So if it didn't work out with your current sled you could get some of that money back.

I think the biggest thing for you right now is realizing how much money it will cost to get into a new sled. By the time you lose your shirt on the sled you have now, and then factor in the price of a new 850 with velocity shocks.. you are looking at big bucks. You could do the couple mods you have in mind for a fraction of the cost, but only consider them if you truly feel happy on the sled..

It doesn't matter if you have a 15000 dollar 600 if you are happy with it and you'll actually enjoy riding it.

600 rmk 144

Jan 26, 2009
When I had my 2017 Summit SP, I was looking into upgrading the shocks. I was told at that time that the X shocks are valved exactly the same as the SP shocks. So if you do buy the X shocks they will be a little lighter, but they will need to be valved stiffer if you are into the technical sidehill type of riding.

I agree with Thielio20. and also, used aftermarket shocks fetch a decent price and sell quickly. So if it didn't work out with your current sled you could get some of that money back.

I think the biggest thing for you right now is realizing how much money it will cost to get into a new sled. By the time you lose your shirt on the sled you have now, and then factor in the price of a new 850 with velocity shocks.. you are looking at big bucks. You could do the couple mods you have in mind for a fraction of the cost, but only consider them if you truly feel happy on the sled..

It doesn't matter if you have a 15000 dollar 600 if you are happy with it and you'll actually enjoy riding it.
Thanks for your thoughts. Pretty much lines up exactly with what I’m thinking. I’ve done the math hundreds of times the last couple weeks and a new sled is really expensive any way I slice it. Maybe I’ll try some Raptors or a Tom’s setup. The wife will be happier (err, less angry) that way.

S
Mar 6, 2008
Northern Sweden
A slight side track (no pun intended)
Judging by what I see on social media all 3.5" pitch tracks have problems, regardless of manufacturer. I've seen loads of Polaris sleds with busted tracks this winter, and I have wrecked two 3.5" tracks myself on my Lynx in two years, (no lost lugs, both ripped from the edge).
In all honesty the other day I did discover a small rip in my latest 2.86" Challenger extreme that I put on to get away from the 3,5" junk. So 3 tracks in 3 seasons..... or put in another way, as many tracks as belts...
The track makers needs to start inserting some sort of reinforcement in the edges, a thin continuous wire loop molded into the edges or something,

BirdmanID

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2019
Idaho falls

Who sells the board stiffeners?

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
Dang..
8ad446c3570ca0e17956d7ec2342aaff.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features