• I've received emails and PM's asking me about "Group Buys" and promotions.

A Group Buy here on SnoWestOnline.com would be a situation where a normal member (non vendor or mfg) personally collects orders from other members. That member then uses those orders to negotiate a better price with the Vendor/Mfg for HIS/HER "Group" of buyers.

Here is an example of a viable "Group Buy"

http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=269222

A promotion that has the words "Group Buy" in the title is still a promotion, and from the rules that were handed down to me by Harris Publications is that non-advertisers cannot run promotions or open sales programs on the forums outside of the swapmeet.

If a members wants to become a group buy manager, maintain a thread and collect the funds and negotiate a group buy... as a member, you are welcome to do that as long as you are not attached to the business of the vendor or Mfg.

If you are a vendor/MFG and you want to offer an EXCLUSIVE "SnoWestOnline ONLY" promotion that is exclusive to snowest readers, please contact me and you'll be able to put it up in the Polaris forums.

Also, before any vendors/mfgs get all "riled up" over this know that the moderators are strictly volunteers and do not receive a dime from any advertising $$ spent on this site.

As ALWAYS, since DAY ONE of me becoming a moderator, I have pioneered, supported and encouraged vendors and mfgs in getting the word out to our readers with "New Product Announcements.

Have a great season.

From this point on, all vendors/mfg's promoting Pre-Season tiered sales programs, in the Polaris Forums, that are not paid advertisers will be appropriately moved to the swapmeet section of the forums.

MH

Kurt’s Gear Down vs QD2

Oct 7, 2018
I am wanting to change the gearing on my ‘17 163. Has anyone compared the gearing between Kurt’s and the QD2??? If I understand correctly, the QD2 is geared slightly lower than Kurts. Anyone have thoughts or opinions?

sledhed

Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
Is the QD2 setup even available for sale yet? I suspect the price will be pretty high compared to the Kurts. I would say grab the Kurts setup and be happy, a couple fractions of a % difference in gearing won't make much difference... Kurts has 2 different sets if I recall, one for NA and one for turbo sleds. Or there is TKI which can make it easier to pick whatever ratio works better for your elevation / riding style, and you can change the ratio without buying a whole new kit.

dbrown279

Jan 18, 2011
Red Lodge Montana
I put all of the ratios in the thread on the 850 posts.
gtwitch in wyoming

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
There will still be guys who order a sled with the QD2 and switch to TKI for ratios, 1/2 price belt, more belt to gear contact, less parasitic losses due to more flexible belt and less tension etc. So if you wait there will be some QD2's come up in the classifieds.

Scott

Pin it!
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
There will still be guys who order a sled with the QD2 and switch to TKI for ratios, 1/2 price belt, more belt to gear contact, less parasitic losses due to more flexible belt and less tension etc. So if you wait there will be some QD2's come up in the classifieds.
I've heard other folks say that the belt tensioner crates parasitic loss of hp.

If you think about it, two gears and a belt will take less torque to turn vs a similar system with a tensioner pressing on it.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I've heard other folks say that the belt tensioner crates parasitic loss of hp.

If you think about it, two gears and a belt will take less torque to turn vs a similar system with a tensioner pressing on it.
To clarify the belt with a tensioner is much looser than a QuickDrive belt so the drag is minimal.

Last edited:

Scott

Pin it!
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
What I hear you saying is that the tensioner only puts a load on the belt if it's on a certain side is the top pulley?

Premium Features