• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

KTM 500 thoughts

L
Nov 18, 2014
CDA, ID
I’ve been running a ‘13 YZ450f for the last few seasons. After last winter I can say that I’m sick of kicking this thing and would like to transition to e-start. Ive got a KTM 300 for dirt and was originally intending on finding a nice used KTM/Husky 450 for my dedicated snowbike, but I’m curious how guys are liking the 500’s for snow? I would like to use it all winter, then occasionally “dual sport” it in the summer on logging roads/modest trails (ie Idaho BDR).

Anyone out there happy in the snow on a big ol 500?

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
L.Hughs, fwiw, I've had three snowbikes. 2010 te510 husky, 17 450fx, 18 500 exc. All have positives and negatives. Overall I prefer the 500 exc. The fx is by far the smoothest but prefer the transmission (6speed) on both the 500's. The only thing I don't like about my 18' 500 exc is the additional vibration over the fx. I have replaced the crankshaft in an attempt to lessen the vibration on the exc.

The guy I ride with most rides a 19' 450xc. He has 129 yeti, I have 120 yeti. We have lined them up several times. They are very close in performance although the 500 has more lower rpm grunt (torque) which I prefer. I have removed all emissions stuff and have the vortex ecu on the 500. I much prefer the 6 speed on the 500. You don't have to slip the clutch to get started on the 500 whereas the tall first on the 450 requires it. For my riding style, more of a tractor guy than a jumping mx'er, I much prefer the 500 exc. For my riding style I think the 500 ktm is the best option currently available but, I'd like to ride a tpi 300 on the snow? Hope this helps...

L
Nov 18, 2014
CDA, ID
Dooman, I appreciate your comparative response! Interesting that the 500 has more vibration, I would have assumed it to be a smoother engine. Not a deal breaker for me though. I think I'd like that extra low end grunt and 6-speed of the 500- I am more of a 'tractor' guy as well, typically exploring lines in the trees and not wide open off jumps. Are there performance differences between the EXC and XCW?

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
L. Hughes, regarding the vibration I think the counterbalance shaft in the 450fx is more substantial than the small one in the 500 exc. I believe that is a contributing factor and possible crank runout on the 500. It had .004 on left and .0035 on right. New is less than .001.
Regarding performance differences, I am not certain my buddies bike is the xcw. I believe it has same engine and transmission (5 speed) as the sx. He is a younger better rider and gets places that I struggle to get to. On a flat line up run they are very close the difference being who gets the least restrictive snow. I can almost idle along in first gear where he would stall unless slipping the clutch, we have had a few pulls where we both hit a steep climb at slow speed and he stalled and I was able to tractor through. Fwiw.

Premium Features