• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

KTM 350 EXC-F Setup

S
Nov 14, 2020
I picked this 350 up about a month ago. Its my only bike currently and I'm interested in trying a snow bike setup. Hoping to lean on the experience here on what to do on a snow bike setup geared towards a 350 and a green rider.

E
Dec 19, 2007
It will be usable bone stock but will make 450 peak power with some mods. Sx cams are an easy swap. Desmog and uncork with a euro reflash it will be a great bike.

S
Nov 14, 2020
I was able to find a 2016 Timbersled ST 120 locally on Craigslist. Is it worthwhile to pick up an older track? Or is there a big difference with the newer kits?

jrlastofthebreed

It seemed like a good idea at the time
Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2016
Coeur d'Alene ID
Newer tracks get more power to the snow. Either from drive efficency, track/suspension ect. With a 350 stay with 120 or 129 if you go yeti. The 16 MH is a good solid kit as long as the rails have been updated. They had cracking problems. Its just 2 generations old at this point. I wouldn't spend much over 2k on one though. Run it for a year and see what you think before you dump loads of $$$ and deside you wanna do a turbo 450 long track lol.

You will need a engine blanket, thermobob/thermostat imo. You can make the blanket or several companies make nice ones. C3, Raze, Wattman, Selkirk all make thermostats. Idk if theres any difference between them. The thermostat will need to be a special one for your bike as the 350 has clearance issues and a regular thermostat wont fit. The only other thing I would say is a must for that bike is a jump starter pack in case you kill the battery. A couple of companies make a pigtail you can leave hardwired on the bike that you can plug the pack into for jumpstarting.

Im on a 17 350xcf this year with a 2021 CMX. Ive heard good things about 350's on snow so I guess we are going to find out!

E
Dec 19, 2007
Where do you ride? I had an sx track on my 350 and it was great except one day when snow was truly over the bars. The only thing I didn't like about the sx is the edges of the track will tear really easy because the rubber is so thin. Just ignore the tears as long as you don't stab a rail and break the cross bar it will still work fine.

jrlastofthebreed

Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2016
Coeur d'Alene ID
If im not mistaken the SX has a 3rd shock stock and only has a 2 in track. You also loose tunnel space for bags and such. Double check because it changes every year and I don't follow the race kits. A buddy had a 15? sx and in the deep he had to poach our tracks all the time. But it rallied on the hard stuff. So i guess it comes down to ride style and where you ride.

S
Nov 14, 2020
Still been searching and have come across a 2018 Camso DTS 129 for $2250. Does that sound like a reasonable price?

How does this kit compare to the rest? And do the camso kits differ a lot from 2018 to the latest year model?

jrlastofthebreed

Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2016
Coeur d'Alene ID
Still been searching and have come across a 2018 Camso DTS 129 for $2250. Does that sound like a reasonable price?

How does this kit compare to the rest? And do the camso kits differ a lot from 2018 to the latest year model?
Price is about right depending on wear and tear. Camso is kinda of the bargin bin for snowbikes in my very bias opinion lol. Cheep, clunky but functional though maybe not long lasting. 17 had a few longevity issues but they updated them in 18. they are one of the heaviest kits out there and the suspension still sucks compared to others. But they climb well and turn well. Its a 129 so I think it would be a little to much for a 350.

S
Nov 14, 2020
Fair enough. I'll stay away from the Camso kit.

I'm starting to lean towards a new kit. I was able to find a 2019 Timbersled ARO 120 kit. How does this differ from a riot 120? And how does Timbersled drop the seat height on the S kits? I'm curious if I can achieve temhe same seat height as a riot s on this ARO 120

jrlastofthebreed

Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2016
Coeur d'Alene ID
So 18 newer ARO's are all basically the same. Good all around kits. The riot shares some of the parts but the suspension allows it to wheelie. If you get the LE shocks its easy to switch from wheelie mode to powder mode. If not you manually adjust the preload. I believe deep snow performance is very similar between the 2 with proper suspension adjustments. (never tested that personally). You can buy a factory build S kit or you can convert any ARO/Riot to an S with a conversion kit. They lower mounting on the front spindle, and use shorter shocks/ springs. And yes seat height should be nearly identical if both kits are lowered.

S
Nov 14, 2020
Getting prepped for the upcoming season!! Have a few questions on setup.

Picked up a new 2021 Timbersled Riot 120, with the TSS fit kit and a trio front shock. Now the bike is currently lowered with mxtech lucky cartridges. Will this work will with the trio?

I also ordered an engine armor kit from Selkirk with thermobob and temp guage. I was thinking of trying heated gloves vs going down the route of heated bars. Mainly for less stuff to swap and less leak points. Any recommendations on gloves?

I'm hoping I can get away with the stock intake, anyone have good luck with the stock airbox?

Anything else worthwhile getting? I still need to dig into beacons, safety gear and guessing it's wise to take avalanche training.

jrlastofthebreed

Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2016
Coeur d'Alene ID
you can't run lowered forks or kits with a trio. You will have to swap back or buy different forks.

If your installing the Selkirk armor swapping bars is only another 30 minutes. any heat means melting snow and wet gloves. extra heated gloves arn't cheep. If you deside not to I hear the bar gauntlets work great for keeping hands warm.

stock air-box on a KTM will treat you fine. Run a non oiled air filter with a prefilter over it. I cut a hole in the plastics and glued frog skins to it. More air flow and less snow into the box. I cut the drain hole open a little bigger but its prolly not necessary for most days. Check your airbox occasionally and if its filling with snow you sill need to modify it.

A
Jan 4, 2015
Canada
stock air-box on a KTM will treat you fine. Run a non oiled air filter with a prefilter over it. I cut a hole in the plastics and glued frog skins to it. More air flow and less snow into the box. I cut the drain hole open a little bigger but its prolly not necessary for most days. Check your airbox occasionally and if its filling with snow you sill need to modify it.
So did it. I cut big holes in the airbox cover and brought frogskins made for some AC sled that look very fine with the panel's design. The more you vent the cover with frogskins, the less air with be pulled from elsewhere pulling in snow. I went the opposite and "sealed" the drain hole and the big oem breathing holes with open cell foam. Works very good and fills very little on deep days. So my bike can easily be reverted for summer use.

Premium Features