• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Kreating Khaos, 162" extreme and other easy mods

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
The leak down test and compression test results from the 2019 mentioned above were 5% leak down and 108psi on the Mag side and 6% leak down and 110psi on the PTO side. This sled had about 700 miles all stock with exception of short time can tests. Anyone else tes

IMG_8105.jpg

Wintertime

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2014
Casper, WY
Factory rubber in place and rope cut to length. I think I found the problem I used a couple of rivets to hold the factory rubber in place and I think it is rubbing there. I will look into this week.

Solby

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colfax, WA
Good info Solby and backs up why I bring them up to temp. Your example helps illustrate why I test apples to apples, meaning using the same methods. Other people have their own methods, which is fine, as long as they stay the same from their baseline test. How is your sled running. Is yours a 19 or 20?

Starts and idles fine, but that's all I know I bought it used after season. Super stoked about it though!

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Thanks Robert,
What’s interesting, Polaris‘a recommendation was to rebuild at 5% or more. Now that John Q is going down the “leak down test path” they moved the recommendation to 10%.
5% is a significant loss on a two stroke.

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
Thanks Robert,
What’s interesting, Polaris‘a recommendation was to rebuild at 5% or more. Now that John Q is going down the “leak down test path” they moved the recommendation to 10%.
5% is a significant loss on a two stroke.
I agree Tony, I tried not scaring him, he is taking it into the dealership this week. It will be interesting what they say. I wish he had established a baseline with it new so he would have ammunition to fight with.

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
I was asked how strong the Cobra turbo cords is. The answer is I don't know, so I ran a little test tonight. I'm fabricating a couple parts for an older Kabota snowblower on my trackor and needed to lift it on the stand but was too heavy for me to lift. So I tied a loop in the spare peace of turbo cord and lifted it with the wench (trolly wench on beam in my shop). It lifted it fine with no stretching, I figured it might break but wasn't even close, so I left it hang while eating dinner lol. I wonder if this is what my wheeler wench cable is made of??IMG_8163.jpgIMG_8164.jpg

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
I wish! We have been pounded with snow where I live, but Im still waiting on a couple parts that should be here soon. I should've had a couple hundred miles on by now.
Wow that sucks.
Iv got 5 days in already, will add 2 more to that by week's end lol

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
UPS just delivered my next step. Protection with Skinz Protective Gear Bash plate for the Quick drive and clutches. These are easy to install with a drill and rivet gun and really help protect both of these areas. The Quick drive is really susceptible to damage from rocks, stumps and snowmobile dollys in the shop. Even side hilling in crusty snow on the QD side can push the thin plastic belly pan into the spinning QD belt and pulley eating a hole right through the bottom pretty easy. The Skinz plates are about 3/16" thick UHMW that won't dent like the aluminum bash plates and reinforces the bottom stock belly pan. You can order them from Skinz, or support a Snowest rider like Sled Solutions here: http://www.sledsolutions.com/index.php?id_product=375&controller=product or Go Big parts here: https://www.gobigparts.com/Snowmobi...ile-Skid-and-Float-Plates/Skinz-Float-Plates/IMG_8171.jpgIMG_8169.jpgIMG_8172.jpg

Last edited:

Pickin’ Boogers

Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2013
Can those bash plates be mounted over/under a skid plate? Or maybe trimming to prevent overlap would be best?

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Those Skinz bash plates are pretty slick, I ran them on my 2019. Super easy to install, great fit and do provide extra protection and ease of mind!

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
Can those bash plates be mounted over/under a skid plate? Or maybe trimming to prevent overlap would be best?
Ive used them with the Skinz float skid plate and the Polaris skid plate with no interference. If needed, it would be easy to trim it or the skid plate. I will say the Skinz Float plate does add some good protection for the lower A-arms from stumps and rocks. It does "float" good as well as it smooths over the a-arm openings that seem to plow snow. There are pros and cons to everything, the only con with the float plate is it does hold some snow on top of it near the base of the lower a-arm which can freeze overnight. To solve this I just give it a tap from underneath with my toe or a rubber mallet. They have saved me a couple a-arms though! You can see from this pic below that even with a Skinz Float plate or the Polaris skid plate the clutches and QD are still very vulnerable that is why I add the Skinz Bash plates. The last pic shows the added lower a-arm protection.IMG_4051.jpg IMG_4055.jpgIMG_4047.jpg

Last edited:

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
You may also get ice build up in certain snow conditions. Had it happen. Keep an eye on it. A change in steering effort will warn you. Once ice builds up during the day clean it out or it tears the boot.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
You may also get ice build up in certain snow conditions. Had it happen. Keep an eye on it. A change in steering effort will warn you. Once ice builds up during the day clean it out or it tears the boot.

yep the skid plate on my last axys made for huge ice chunks and bound up steering.

No skid plate on my current sled for this reason.

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
been years since Ive ran a skid plate, with the newer style sleds its easy to change the nose of the pan. Not like 15yrs ago where it was all one piece and a skid was needed. Bash plates look good though

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
been years since Ive ran a skid plate, with the newer style sleds its easy to change the nose of the pan. Not like 15yrs ago where it was all one piece and a skid was needed. Bash plates look good though
I was glad I had a skid plate last winter. In about 5' deep of standing snow I was lined up for a jump WOT, I hit a 6" well casing that was completely under the snow. It sent me flying over the bars, sheared the lower A-arm in 1/2, broke the shock, bent the can, bent a rail and tore the track. The skid plate had a gash and slice in it but survived along with protecting the bulk head. The $100 skid plate was worth it that time. Side note on the float plate, I experimented with cutting the sides back some under the A-arms to help eliminate the ice build up. Easy to cut with a jigsaw.IMG_4492.jpgIMG_4494.jpg

Premium Features