• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Know the new FCC rules for radio comms.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Baofeng must be making a pretty big dent in the bca radio sales for them to have to write this article.

It goes way beyond BCA.
Bakfeng has come under FCC scrutiny, and BCA gets beaten up because they are NOT breaking federal law to compete against Illegal Baofeng Radios.

BCA by doing the right thing is getting pounded by customers who don’t give a rats ass about Illegal use of the HAM radio spectrum by unauthorized/Unlicensed users

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Get your HAM license. It is quite simple and inexpensive to do. Then no worries on using these Baofeng radios.

They work amazingly well, and once licensed you can use the repeaters while in the backcountry to get help on the way!

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Is there a link to get HAM license?
Is that the same as the cb radio license my dad had in the 80s?

Wintertime

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2014
Casper, WY
For me, it really comes down to the price point. The BCA radios are WAY OVERPRICED in my IMHO. I have used them and they work fine just the price point!! BCA should lower its prices to offset. I really don't think you will see Black Suburbans pulling in to your riding area to bust you for using a Boafang radio. If so we have real problems in this World if the Gov. is worried about a Snowmobiler using a radio that doesn't fall with guidelines. With that said the rules are in place for a reason and we should follow them. That also raises the question about Ham Lic. how to go about getting one? I have looked locally and didn't find anything cut and dry on how to do it? Maybe someone in the know can help with this?

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
With that said the rules are in place for a reason and we should follow them.

Do you know what those reasons are? Most likely to provide profit to those who pushed for said rules, as it usually is... This is the exact same type of position that leads to massive losses of riding areas. The false assumption being, rules are good, follow them without question. Scares me when I see the sheep following rules blindly like this.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
If the BCA was more reliable Id still use one. Ive had two 2.0s break already and not work on sending/receiving talk. And the original one isnt very powerful and the clip goes to crap over time and just spins. Wont stay on my backpack. The Baofeng battery lasts way longer. Much more clear and powerful. Dont like the frequency settings as the bca is much easier to use. But overall the Baofeng is a much higher quality radio IMO for a fraction of the cost.

Wintertime

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2014
Casper, WY
Not following any Sheep and never will follow Sheep Big 10. I was just being politically correct for those that have the correct licenses in place. You always have to add some useless info. or call someone out for no reason. I know that the license deal is only to pad someone's pocket and whatever. There are people who also want to follow the rules and do the right thing. There is nothing wrong with that. I also forget you have been everywhere and seen everything except the wind blow. I will keep that in mind next time I post. Know all!!!

S
Aug 28, 2017
oregon
Clicked on the like above and it might as well been written in french. Don't even know the difference between GMRS and FRS. No chance this guy is getting a ham license. Bottom line is do I need a ham license to operate my baofeng radio on any of the bc link channels?

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Not following any Sheep and never will follow Sheep Big 10. I was just being politically correct for those that have the correct licenses in place. You always have to add some useless info. or call someone out for no reason. I know that the license deal is only to pad someone's pocket and whatever. There are people who also want to follow the rules and do the right thing. There is nothing wrong with that. I also forget you have been everywhere and seen everything except the wind blow. I will keep that in mind next time I post. Know all!!!

Haha... you couldn't follow me if you tried. Good for you Mr.Rulefollower! You are a beacon of hope for all leftists. They want nothing more than for you to fall in line. The line to board the train is over here...

Wintertime

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2014
Casper, WY
Oh please!!!! You don't even know me? Get over yourself you attack everyone on here. I don’t even care. I’m out I have better things to do than listen to you.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Oh please!!!! You don't even know me? Get over yourself you attack everyone on here. I don’t even care. I’m out I have better things to do than listen to you.

yet you somehow find the time and energy to respond... I don't attack everyone on here, that is absurd. I do like to point out all of the utter stupidity I see here though. It is the internet, you should lighten up...

3yrs ago less then $150ea bought 2 baofeng uv-5r+ with better antennae's and water proof mics. Looked into the BCA junk radios even though I was told to not even bother,.. well I didn't bother,.. and besides way overpriced. FCC won't be wasting their time on logging roads or in the mountains here.

H1Pilot

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
I've had this discussion with my offroad group and snowmobile buddies. I completely understand both...or several...sides of the discussion. Like most of you, I have used many types of 2-ways with hits and misses. The past 2 seasons I have been using the BCA and almost all of my riding buddies do as well. The reason is simple. BCA identified what backcountry users were looking for and put together a package for that purpose. Could I put together a communication package myself that works as good or better that costs less?...Absolutely! But in the end, i chose to go with off-the-shelf package that works great for me and my family. To each his own.

Back on topic...whether or not you like how BCA wrote the article, the content of the article is full of good information about the recent changes to 2-way communication rules. Since they wrote it and are offering a product that complies with FCC rules for it's intended use, I don't have a problem with them pointing out other products being sold for the same type of use that do not comply with FCC rules. It's just education. We don't have to like the rules...what American does. I thought the article was pretty funny...Black Suburbans...like that would EVER happen!?!:alien:

Premium Features