• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

KMOD Skinny

ndfb35

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2014
MT
Does anyone own or have ridden the Skinny? I'm over Cats attempt at the mono. Looking at going carbon through NexTech or getting a the Skinny but I haven't seen much or heard much talk of it.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Would be an interesting comparison of the kmod skinny and alpha rail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slash

Parts Moderator & Chat Box Cop
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 22, 2008
IDAHO FALLS 83404
well nothing beats a KMOD I started running them on my GenII polaris , my 2009 IQ got one ride with stock then the Kmod went in .
better ride better transfer adjustable coupling . Playfull when you want and a climbing beast when you want , or in the middle for all around .

BlueDevil

Premium Member
Oct 19, 2013
After coming off a kmod twin rail to alpha mono I hated it. One ride and spending half a day in good snow I said screw this headless camel and ordered a kmod skinny. The kmod rides great and makes the alpha track hook even better. Being able to quickly adjust the coupler is great. For me it gave me the old kmod transfer with the agility of the alpha mono rail.

BlueDevil

Premium Member
Oct 19, 2013
My only complaint is the air shocks. Checking/adjusting air pressure every ride or during every ride really sucks.

ndfb35

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2014
MT
My thoughts after the weekend... Quick run down of the sled. 2019 165 with Silber turbo, 154 tunnel, Elevate kit, Fox Float 3s with Evol in the front and Yamaha mountain skis.

Putting the skid together was fairly straightforward and the kit came with all components. Nothing from the OEM skid is reused, a niceity. I installed the skid in the lower holes like Ice Age recommends for Elevated sleds. I also started the shocks at Kevin's recommended settings for my weight which is 260 before equipment.

With these settings and the coupler blocks set on 2 the sled sled climbs like a goat. In situations where the stock skid would wheelie and leave you trenched it now climbs on top of the snow and nothing can stop it. It takes the steepness out of any hill. I was very impressed. Great for steep tree riding. With the same shock and skid configuration it is also very difficult to get the sled to feel real playful, even when the coupler blocks are set on 1. With the cut tunnel and my weight I had issues with the skid catching the back of the tunnel when I did get on it and try to get the ski ups and when on the bottom of step drainages going up them. I will try and move the skid to the factory holes in the rear to see if that helps alleviate the track catching and help lift the skis slightly.

A few issues that I need to figure out and that I had. The lock nut on the FTS came off some how and the axle and washer are lost in the snow. The shock and bolt are fine and I didn't loose the spacer. I made sure to LocTite all of the bolts throughout the skid and still had the bolt for the rear arm work loose. I caught it before I had any major issues. A Allen screw for one of he the spacers also worked its way loose and is gone but I didn't put LocTite on them so that's on me. Lesson learned is LocTite everything and retorque during your first ride.

Final thoughts, the skid is awesome. The fit and finish is very nice and I have no complaints. It turns the Alpha into a conquer anything sled. With some adjustments and tweaking I won't want to go back to stock ever unless I am trying to get real rowdy doing Saxton type stuff. With the shocks and such the skid if worth the money and does what it's advertised to do.

20210326_175239.jpg

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Mac Grant gave a really good review of the Kmod skinny on his alpha on Facebook a few weeks ago. His opinion is it’s better than the cat mono rail in all situations. It’s was a very good comparison review. Hope he gets on here and gives his 2cents.

BlueDevil

Premium Member
Oct 19, 2013
I have trouble with my track hitting the rear of the tunnel as well. To solve the problem I have to pump the shocks way up which in turn makes it ride very stiff/rough. Seems to be the same issue with all air shocks if have ever ran. This kit with coilovers would take this kit from great to flat out amazing

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
With an Evol chamber on the rear shock you should be able to add pressure there to keep the rear of the skid from traveling as far without affecting the initial part of the stroke too much. I have coilovers in my twin rail kmod without a chopped tunnel and I had to angle the plate on the back of the tunnel up to keep the track from grabbing it. It's one of the little oversights that bothers me about the skid and shouldn't be an issue for how much they cost.

I got to throw a leg over Mac's sled last weekend for a very brief minute. Full disclosure it was at the end of the day, and I was so exhausted from wrestling around my old M7 I couldn't ride it anywhere close to potential. It was a 154 Hardcore with a turbo. If I remember right the skid was mounted low in the tunnel (bottom holes). If you could stay on the gas and be aggressive with the sled it worked great. Going uphill with a big guy like me on it I thought it was going to start digging in and lifting the front over backward being a 154. I was pleasantly surprised that when it started coming up I could let of, let the sled settle back down, get into it and keep going on up the hill. On the flat or lower angle terrain the front felt more planted if you were just cruising around and took more effort. If you commit and are on the gas it felt light and would change directions on a dime with little effort. I was probably only on the sled for 2-3 min before I gave it back. Just too tired at the end of the day and didn't want to have an error and do something dumb with his sled.

ndfb35

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2014
MT
I have the evol at 260 at the moment and it still wanted to bottom. The shocks are custom valved for my weight which as stated before if currently 260. I also am running 148ish in the main chamber. So I am almost out of adjustment.

BlueDevil

Premium Member
Oct 19, 2013
Ya I’m 165 without gear so add 10-15 for gear? Anyway I have the evol chamber maxed and the main in the rear at 170.

ndfb35

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2014
MT
The sticker on the shock says 150 max, should I ignore that? I haven't had to go much over 150 with other setups.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Should be able to go to 300 in the evol. I wouldn't go much above 150 in the main. It's not going to want to transfer as well the more you put in the main. Had a 300#+ guy put more than recommended in a Kmod conversion on a 2013 sled. It wrecked the shock.

If that doesn't work call Kevin and see if he has recommendations.

Premium Features