• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

KLIM Releases Two New Avalanche Airbag Backpacks

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
https://www.snowest.com/2019/07/kli...fd_HY6g2Y0kVsdBeJaL3bPvuKEKaHFPsLqSE0sxKb0oY4

KLIM Releases Two New Avalanche Airbag Backpacks

KLIM has developed two avalanche airbag backpacks specifically for snow powersports, the Atlas 26-liter backpack and the smaller Aspect 16-liter pack. Both KLIM backpacks are integrated with industry-leading Alpride E1 electronic multi-use systems—the lightest electronic airbag systems on the market.

Avalanche airbags are a proven technology to help prevent burial in an avalanche. They are the only avalanche safety system that does not rely on the skills and equipment of fellow riders in an avalanche situation. Avalanche airbags work by increasing the volume of you and your gear to help you float higher in the particulate flow, improving how quickly rescuers can locate/extract you.

Deeply involved with professional riders, KLIM is constantly looking for better solutions. It is always searching for innovative materials and industry-leading technology by asking the question: is there an ingredient or process that can further improve the riding experience?

KLIM has engineered the pair of airbag backpacks to serve the unique needs of backcountry snowmobiling and snowbiking, instead of adapting them from a different sport. Both backpacks feature robust materials throughout, avalanche equipment storage, tool storage packs and 360-degree waist webbing with a metal buckle to keep the backpack attached to your body in an avalanche.

For the integrated airbag technology, KLIM chose to partner with Alpride for its industry-leading E1 electronic airbag system. Offering a wide range of benefits, the airbag is inflated with a multi-use supercapacitor system that is not affected by cold temperatures, making it safer than relying on batteries. A USB charger will charge the supercapacitor at home, and a pair of AA batteries will recharge the supercapacitor in the field after an inflation, unlike a canister that needs to be replaced each time.

Eliminating canisters and li-ion batteries also avoids travel restrictions. The reusable nature of the airbag system allows for easy, low-cost practice to prepare for avalanche scenarios.

The Atlas 26 avalanche backpack features a similar layout to the popular KLIM Krew Pak backpack, with large capacity storage and organization pockets, shoulder straps and a waist belt with pockets. The shoulder straps allow for ambidextrous deployment handle and radio mounting. Just like the Krew Pak, the Atlas 26 has KLIM’s Rapid Probe Deployment (RPD) system mounted on the side.

Using the same Alpride E1 airbag system, the Aspect 16 offers the same 150-liter airbag volume with a smaller, lighter backpack size for those who don’t carry as much gear. The padded breathable chest harness system still allows for ambidextrous radio and deployment handle mounting.

The KLIM Atlas 26 Avalanche Airbag backpack is available now, and the Aspect 16 Avalanche Airbag backpack will be available starting in August 2019.
At the end of the day, everything KLIM does is to enhance the riding experience. Taking its avalanche airbags to the next level is a way for KLIM to give riders better peace of mind and improved usability in extreme conditions.

============================

Atlas 26 Avalanche Airbag Backpack Full Specs
Airbag Specs:

• Alpride E1 Airbag System
  • 1280 Gram Alpride System Weight
  • 150l Airbag Volume
  • Ambidextrous Air Bag Deployment
  • Mechanical Trigger and Deflation Release
  • Supercapacitor Powers Radial Compressor
  • Supercapacitor Not Affected by Cold Temps
  • Bag Can Be Deployed While Laying On Back
  • Micro USB Port Recharges Supercapacitor in 20 Minutes
  • 2x AA Batteries Recharge Supercapacitor in 40 Minutes
  • Superconductor Tested to Automotive Standards
  • Lightest Electrical Airbag System on the Market
  • No Cannister/Li-Ion Battery Means No Flight Restrictions
  • Auto-Test and LED Indicators
Pack Specs:

• 26 Liter Backpack Volume
  • RPD – Industry-First Rapid Probe Deployment (Probe available separately)
  • S.O.S. Label with Emergency Instructions
  • 360-degree Waist Webbing with Metal Buckle
  • Color Coded Zippers for Avy Gear Compartment
  • Internal Avalanche Shovel Storage with Drain (Shovel available separately)
  • Radio Pocket with Internal Mic Routing
  • Moisture Resistant Tool Pack Included
  • Molded Goggle Pocket with Removable Chamois
  • Fixed Padded Hip Belt with 2 Pockets
  • Padded Shoulder Straps
  • Stashable Leg Strap Harness
  • Side Compression Straps
  • Contoured Internal Frame Retains Shape
  • Clamshell Opening For Easy Access
  • 3M Scotchlite Reflective Material
  • Emergency Whistle
  • Internal Key Attachment Clip
  • YKK Heavy-Duty Zippers
  • 7x12x21.5 inches

Top Benefits
Top Air Bag Benefits:

• Bag Can Stay Inflated for Second Avalanche
  • No Flight Restrictions
  • Easy/Zero Cost to Practice
  • Reduced Fatigue with Lightest Airbag System Available
Top Backpack Benefits:

• Leg Harness Strap Ensures Security In Avalanche
  • Rapid Probe Deployment Saves Time
  • Snowmobile-Specific Features and Construction
Colors
Black
Available Now at Klim.Com
MSRP $1,199.99

========================================

Aspect 16 Avalanche Airbag Backpack Full Specs
Airbag Specs:

• Alpride E1 Airbag System
  • 1280 Gram Alpride System Weight
  • 150l Airbag Volume
  • Ambidextrous Airbag Deployment
  • Mechanical Trigger and Deflation Release
  • Supercapacitor Powers Radial Compressor
  • Supercapacitor not Affected by Cold Temps
  • Bag Can Be Deployed While Laying On Back
  • Micro USB Port Recharges Supercapacitor in 20 Minutes
  • 2x AA Batteries Recharge Supercapacitor in 40 Minutes
  • Superconductor Tested to Automotive Standards
  • Lightest Electrical Airbag System on the Market
  • No Cannister/Li-Ion Battery Means no Flight Restrictions
  • Auto-Test and LED Indicators
Full Backpack Specs:

• 16 Liter Backpack Volume
  • S.O.S. Label with Emergency Instructions
  • 360-degree Waist Webbing with Metal Buckle
  • Adjustable Waist and Leg Strap w/Stashable Leg Strap
  • Nac Pak Inspired Chest Harness w/Breathable Pads
  • Color Coded Zippers for Avy Gear Compartment
  • External Shovel Blade Storage (Shovel available separately)
  • Internal Shovel Handle Storage and Probe Storage With Drain
  • Radio Pocket with Mic Routing
  • Loops on Front Harness For Radio Mic and Pull Handle
  • Includes Moisture Resistant Tool Pack w/External Attachment
  • Molded Goggle Pocket with Removable Chamois
  • Organization Pocket with Smaller Compartments
  • Compression Straps
  • Full Zipper Opening For Easy Access
  • Molded Back Panel Retains Shape
  • 3M Scotchlite Reflective Material
  • Emergency Whistle
  • Internal Key Attachment Clip
  • YKK Heavy Duty Zippers
  • 8.5x10x19 inches
Top Benefits
Top Air Bag Benefits:

• Bag Can Stay Inflated For Second Avalanche
  • No Flight Restrictions
  • Easy/Zero Cost to Practice
  • Reduced Fatigue with Lightest Electrical Airbag System Available
Top Backpack Benefits:

• Leg Harness Strap Ensures Security in Avalanche
  • Chest Protection
  • Snowmobile-Specific Features and Construction
Colors
Black, Blue
Available Starting Aug. 1 at Klim.Com

Last edited:

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
The MSRP for the 26 is $1199. How much is the 16?

ryanjeri

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
ID
Never wore a vest But I am in the market for something lighter and smaller than my snowpulse, Though I would have a hard time buying a KLIM Product after several warranty problems I have had with them.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Never wore a vest But I am in the market for something lighter and smaller than my snowpulse, Though I would have a hard time buying a KLIM Product after several warranty problems I have had with them.
I must just live right, but I have NEVER had any issues with KLIM at all on Warranty.

J
Jul 31, 2014
Fairhaven
If I didn't need my packs to work for splitboarding and skiing in addition to sledding I'd be buying the Atlas 26 this winter. I'm looking for a pack with the Alpride E1 system in about a 30L size that will carry skis and avalanche tools. Maybe if I get another E1 pack I can buy just the Klim pack and swap the airbag between the two as needed.

Pickin’ Boogers

Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2013
I'd would be great in their Arsenal vest, if it could also hold a shovel and probe on the inside - not strapped to the outside.
1568253355637.png

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Tried the aspect on at haydays, super comfy. Feels just like the newest style nac pac. Not sure I am sold on the alpride system yet, I would guess the air/nitrogen bags will be more reliable, probably gonna try one though, it just fits and feels so good.

Meadow Muffin

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2012
SE Iowa
I tried on the Aspect 16 at hay days also, with the chest buckle built into the shoulder straps if felt a lot like my snow pulse vest only cooler. I want one, just hard to justify with a perfectly good bag/vest already. I am also wondering it I would miss the tech vest protection I have with my current one. Sure would be nicer on a 30* day in the trees.

Chadx

♫ In the pow again. Just can't wait to get in..
Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
I agree with others regarding wanting this supercapacitor tech (by Klim or any manufacturer) integrated into a protective vest. I sent that request to Klim last year and about time I send their way again. (It does make a difference sending them requests so if you want to see this in a vest, please email them).

My wife injured her shoulder a few years ago and her ABS brand avy backpack straps aggravated it. We got her a BCA MTN Pro avy pack/vest and, because the vest distributes the weight so much better, it was perfectly comfortable. It also combined three layers (Avy harness, tekvest, avy backpack) into one. After trying hers for one ride, I also sold my ABS and tekvest and went to the vest. Really liked the Lithium tech when it came out and I like this supercapacitor tech even more (though it doesn't have the ability to keep the fan running and airbag full in the event of a tear like the Lithium powered tech and it also does deflate after 3 minutes like the lithium tech). Still, the super light weight of a supercapacitor and it never wearing out like the lithium battery is great.

I was trying to compare weights of backpacks and unfortunately Klim only lists the weight of the Alpride system itself (1280grams) and won't list the weight of the entire pack. I'll reach out to Klim and post up overall weight if Klim replies with the info.

Last edited:

Chadx

♫ In the pow again. Just can't wait to get in..
Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
I heard back from Klim quickly so here is the weight info for both of these avy packs so potential buyers can compare to other avy bags on the market. I also recommended they add the specs to each bag's web page.

The Atlas weight is 7.6 lb and the Aspect weight is 7.06 lb.

N
Jan 24, 2016
Northern Norway
I'm really looking into the Aspect, but I think the price is a bit on the high side. I mean, sure, all of them are expensive, but I refuse to believe they are this expensive to produce for Klim. 1000 dollars is a lot for a backpack with a balloon attached to it. :p

Meadow Muffin

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2012
SE Iowa
If one of you buys the aspect please give us a review after you have worn it for a ride or two. Please compare it to your old bag / vest.
I wish OE Rentals or someone would rent this bag so we could try it out. I’m not ready to give up my vest but the strap system on this pack my be good enough for me to switch.
Thanks in advance.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
If one of you buys the aspect please give us a review after you have worn it for a ride or two. Please compare it to your old bag / vest.
I wish OE Rentals or someone would rent this bag so we could try it out. I’m not ready to give up my vest but the strap system on this pack my be good enough for me to switch.
Thanks in advance.
Im planning to pull the trigger at some point here... It fell almost identical to my nac pac, which I MUCH prefer to my BCA vest(I like the vest, the are nice don't get me wrong, but just somewhat bulky and "restrictive" when you're working hard). I sold my vest with intentions to buy the Aspect, just haven't convinced myself to drop the cash yet, as I still have an ABS freeride pack, which I love... its time to retire that one though.

Meadow Muffin

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2012
SE Iowa
I love the way my vest carries the weight, I hate the straps of a pack pulling on my shoulders. But the vest is just too warm most days.
let us know how you like the bag once you get it loaded with supplies and try it out.
Thanks

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
Problem with airbags is they are like a winch on atv. As soon as you get one, you get a false sense of security and are more likely to push the limits of where you’ll go. Since you have an airbag you’ll want to push farther and deeper into back country. I had an ABS airbag fail once and I was almost done for.

Just make sure to test whatever you get. And be cautious about the false security it will give you. The airbags do nothing for big impacts which is what kills a lot of people.

I’m starting to think I’d be better off with no airbag and just ride smarter. Big snow = no go. On slopes anyway.

Nightsider

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2019
Castle Rock, WA
this being my first sled & first year on the mtn I think I should go with safety first rule I"ll try to make ava class in Idaho next month

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
It's pretty simple. Buy a bag. Practice/learn how to use it and a beacon - muscle memory. Get avy training and retraining. If you ride in avy terrain slides happen, regardless of how careful or knowledgeable you think you are, and they are not always triggered by you. Don't be that guy. Anything that can tilt the odds is valuable for you and your family. Gear and training might help save someone else's life. Avoid/stop riding with peeps who don't have a bag, beacon, shovel, probe, and training.

Premium Features