• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

King's Hill 2019/20

LoneViper

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
Was up last Wednesday, it's still winter in the mountains. Day started with a search and then a few trail markers towards Ant Park and Higgins.
The snow is holding up very well, I suspect it will be wind blown after today. We found a crust down about 12 to 18" and then no base from there to the ground. Jeff has all trails in pretty good shape but I suspect ridge tops will be a different story.

The logging in Moose park appears to be done. Logging over moose mountain is done. There is a very short section from Adams creek plowed up to the intersection with little b and the B trail with logging activity. The FS has week day closures on that road with weekends open. I see logging trucks 7 days a week so it must be fair game.

One of these days we are going to need more snow, lets hope it's soon.....

R

rilesman5

Jan 21, 2009
MT
So if the f.s. closes trails during the week for logging but the logging doesnt stop...
...then why close it or open it at all?

R

rilesman5

Jan 21, 2009
MT
Turn it into Lincoln MT! Just close everything down and watch it all burn down

LoneViper

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
We went up Monday and had trees down by Spur park, T trail and the black forest all of which were cut or moved and the trail was passable.
Jeff reported 44 trees across the trail from Onion park to the intersection with Eagle park and 7 more on down the sheep creek road. It is almost assured you will run into a down tree somewhere. Report back here so we can address it.

Oh and riflesman, the trail isn't closed on the weekends but the loggers are hauling at odd hours to make an attempt to get out of there before the next snow and they have to plow. Let's make an attempt to not turn this into a p_ _ _ sing contest shall we?

Ride safe out there.

maxeater

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
GF MT
great day sunday fresh track all day stand up riding on the trails deep snow in spots one of the best days of the year so far sure glad most don't get far from the parkin lot

LoneViper

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
Haven't been up in over a week but I know for absolute sure there is a ton of snow. Jeff reported 85 gallons of fuel in 40 miles 24 to 30+ inches the other night. 20 " at the groomer shed overnight.

Watch those hills out there.

800poodragon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
Found lots of untouched (till we got there) DEEP places today. Powder waist to chest deep most places.. the creek bottom at stringer was untouched and deep. I think that was the first time I have gone from one end to the other thru the creek and had the throttle pinned all the way just to keep from getting buried :love:

IMG_3619.jpg
Dam creek bottom in Coyote

Last edited:

LoneViper

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
Talked to Jeff this morning and he said that snow was starting to become a dirty word. He reported another 6-8" It's hard to get caught up on grooming but we are working Monday through Thursday nights and Saturday night. We may have to cut back grooming towards Baldy, the snow is getting deep enough that the groomer is hitting tree branches. Sounds like a project for next summer. We just don't get seasons like this one every year. Stay safe out there.

srfink

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2013
Great Falls, MT
Found lots of untouched (till we got there) DEEP places today. Powder waist to chest deep most places.. the creek bottom at stringer was untouched and deep. I think that was the first time I have gone from one end to the other thru the creek and had the throttle pinned all the way just to keep from getting buried :love:

View attachment 340349
Dam creek bottom in Coyote
This was an awesome day. Had it pinned for hours to say the least. Found DEEP everywhere!!

LoneViper

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
We went for a little ride yesterday, Jamison trail and points east. What a difference a week makes on the snow. There was some soft snow left but mostly wind blown and drifted, no problem going where we wanted to. Our groomer is starting to catch up but a few sleds with 3" tracks sets him back some. All is good because that's the name of the game. We noticed the Hobson groomer had been out but his trail was getting chewed up too. For everyone's information, our counters are registering about 700 sleds a week leaving the parking lot. That should secure Jeff's position for weeks to come.

Ride safe out there....

LoneViper

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
We were up last Thursday and the snow was fair, you could go most everywhere with some soft spots. The weather has been warm since then and Jeff says there is a firm crust down about 10". I'm assuming that everything is wind blown at this time.

Everyone should take note, this coming Sunday March 8 is the 3 club cookout at the Ant Park warming hut. The White Sulpher club is hosting this year. They go through a lot of effort to haul in equipment and food, we need to do our part and support them. Free hot lunch from 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM.
Don't be bashful and stop in they are just a bunch of snowmobilers too.

Premium Features