• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

KIng Cat water pump?

J

John

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 27, 2003
Boise, Id
Riding yesterday and sled goes into limp mode and the temp lights are flashing right after a break. I shut it down and check the cylinders, she's hot but the line coming off of the tunnel is cold. Pulled T-stat and it is open, throw it in the snow and it closes. Pulled off the line at the T-stat housing and start it up...just a dribble coming out. All signs point to the pump but I have not done an AC pump. Looks to me like it is down on the bottom front of the engine. Are they gear driven? How big a deal to change? Am I missing somthing? Thanks in advance!

S

Sno Junkie

Jan 7, 2008
Very interesting. I have a buddy who just had the same thing happen. We did all the same tests you did and came to the conclusion that it was the water pump. All cat dealers say the pumps never go bad?? Looks prettty easy to change.

J

John

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 27, 2003
Boise, Id
Looks prettty easy to change.

Not so according to my dealer. The impeller is easy to get to but the pump itself is in the case. 3-4 hours (if I pull the engine and bring it to them) and some parts. I'm guessing $250. :(

J

John

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 27, 2003
Boise, Id
Thanks. Doesn't look like there is much to it, must be the shaft/gear that runs off of the crank that would require opening it up. I sure hope the impeller is bad. Do you have to pull the engine up to get it out?

Nobody has had to do this? Digger, Perk, Nate, Doors, High Time?

I got to thinking that I did have to roll it over a couple of times (easier than digging it out) and thought that maybe I had gotten some air in the system. I tilted the trailer and cranked it up but the fluid still isn't moving. How long does it take to work the air out?

J

John

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 27, 2003
Boise, Id
Weird. I pulled the pump housing off last night and the impeller looks good, no play in the shaft at all. Turned the PTO over a few times just to make sure that I wasn't missing a tooth on the gear and it sure seems tight. I guess I'll put it back together, burp it real good and hope for the best. Weird.

J

John

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 27, 2003
Boise, Id
I think you may be right. Got it all put back together last night and will be filling it and burping it on Friday. I sure hope that is all it is!

Jan 12, 2008
hope it works

it easier if you pull the engine if i remmber you have to take the bottom of the crank case off .replaced mine a year ago its alittle work

W
Nov 27, 2007
bear creek, montana
hi
i have worked on these alot
there is a hand held transfer pump that i put in a cordless drill
what u are doing is filling the entire system from one side of the motor and pushing out the air as the coolant goes thru
i think that i paid 8.00 for it (murdocks menards fleet farm tractor supplyshould all have these)
works great
remove hose from thermostat manifold
clamp outlet from pump to this hose
place inlet hose in coolant bucket (premixed coolant)
clamp hose to manifold and put in the same bucket
as the coolant is pushed in to system thru inlet hose
old coolant and air are escaping thru the other hose into the bucket
keep pumping till the exit hose has clean coolant comming out(no air)
remove pump remove short hose from manifold
fill hose to top and replace on manifold clamp fill coolant bottle
start
this is the same way we cool our grass drag sleds

good luck

C

CatndHat

Nov 8, 2003
Snowville WY
John,
To refill mine I strap the rear to the shop rafter, top off system, start the sled.
Run it up to temp with cap off, raise and lower sled with strap(good to have extra helper, and hood off;)) top off till resivour is full, carry gator jug of anti freeze to top off
on next ride.

J

John

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 27, 2003
Boise, Id
Thanks Russ. James is going to help me with it tomorrow, he's got a pump we are going to use.

Premium Features