• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

king cat starter/ mountain cat starter

C
Nov 26, 2007
dankorage
iv gone through 3 starters in 2 years on my mountain cat, wft..
i beleive i read on here a couple years ago that they have a better starter in like 05 on the king cats or maybe 06. if i remember correctly it had a big pullers or something and was easier to pull over.. is this true? or should i just go rip the starter of the blown 580 and save myself the money??

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
I think what you are thinking of is people building adaptors to put the bigger recoil off the M8 and M1000 onto the older 8/900's. As far as I know, all the starters from the early 90's are the same until the new M's.

In my opinion, the bigger recoil adaptor is worth it. We did one on a big bore 900, it starts much easier in the cold mornings.

Kost-a-bunch on here sells a kit to do it:
http://www.terraalpsracing.com/products.htm

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
I have no idea how much it costs, I couldn't find a price either. My dad and I picked up a couple of the recoils at Haydays this year, and we made our own adapters.

C
Nov 26, 2007
dankorage
what was involved with makign adapters? also i talked to cat and they say the 05-06 starter was beefier so im probly jsut gonna go to that, i can deal with the harder to start. jsut dont like when the coil snapps and i go flying lol.

K
Nov 29, 2007
Kelowna BC
cat re-coils

the kit is $265 cdn.
a 2" diameter larger re coil which helps pulling the big 900 cats and larger big bores over, a dream, going from 2 hands to one hand sitting on the sled.

kit includes all the hardware alls you need is a 10mm socket and a 11mm socket, and a 12mm socket for the recoil cup.

the new recoil is alot better then the old style.

Ted
Terra alps Racing inc.
www.terraalpsracing.com

Premium Features