King Cat in a Short Box?

Dec 1, 2007
Jackson, WY
I'm driving from SLC to the middle of Nevada tomorrow morning to pick up a mint condition 04' King Cat (162 of course) and am wondering if I can save a few bucks by not pulling a trailer.

I drive a 1994 Chevy K1500 (6.5 Detroit TD) with a short box. I got the specs from Cat's sight and it seems it will fit, but hang out about 33 inches. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks again fellas

Dec 1, 2007
Jackson, WY
Thanks for the quick response Dan. I better go pull the topper off.

I'm thinking that the back of the truck will keep it out of the elements a little better anyhow since my aluminum 2-place doesn't have a shield yet.

cowkiller

Nov 26, 2007
Eugene Or.
King cat in a pick up

I bought an 05 king cat in billings mt.we slid into the bed of the pick up and drove home to eugene oregon without a thought. Tie the front of the sled down and forward. Take some gear along to stop and ride the beast on the way home.
have a safe trip

SaberKitty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 16, 2006
Foothills of Grosse Gelb
To suck it up closer to the cab, pull the skis off.

Here's a 153 M8; looks like the toolbox may be keeping it from going ahead further....

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2005
Peace River, Alberta
That's how we've always done it. Not even a second thought...
Here's a pic of my Sno Pro in my truck the day I picked it up. Doing this saves your tailgate from rock chips. I just run a strap over the rear arm, and down to the stake pockets in the box. Been doing it this way for 8 years now, and no issues.

And, yes, you'll be absolutely fine putting it in with the tail gate down, too. We do that lots as well. Just run a strap the same way behind the rear arm. If my buddy can haul a 136 in his Avalanche, i'm sure you'll be fine. Good luck!

Premium Features