• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

King Cat Big Bore Questions

P

ProKlim

Dec 10, 2007
North Dakota
I have an 05 king cat EFI, my mods are listed in my sig. I am looking to rebuild my sled here pretty soon and I am debating between the 975 kit with mild porting using the cast 1000cc pistons, or a speedwerx 1000cc big bore with speedwerx's head and a forged piston setup. Does anyone have any experience with either of these kits, reliability? I will be running a single pipe, 6-10000', and probably with a boondocker box or some sort of control box. I would appreciate any input.

H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
I've had both 925 with Wiescos and the 975

I've had a hard time not cold seizing the Wiescos. The 975 has been great, but it will cost quite a bit.

Owen

P

ProKlim

Dec 10, 2007
North Dakota
Thanks for the info guys, high time, did you notice a big difference going to the 975, and what pipe(s) are you running.
KingCat182, how did you properly break in the pistons so that they dont cold sieze like everyone talks about?
Thanks for your help guys, anybody else have any experience???
Trent

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
You've pretty much heard my response already. I love the 975 kit. I wouldn't worry too much about the price, every one we've done has been ~$1k. But that is doing a bunch of the work ourselves.

We never really had problems cold-seizing the weiscos, but on 4 different motors, we had the locating pins come out and the rings chewed up the exhaust ports.

These weren't big bore 900's though, they were two 680's (based on the '99 600) and two big bore 700 ZRT's.

P

ProKlim

Dec 10, 2007
North Dakota
avoid any kit that uses forged weisco's.a few have had good luck, just nobody i know or have ever heard of...

Thanks, I have heard of a few people with good luck, but there are some people that dont have very good luck. That is why I like the idea of the 975 kit using the cast 1000 pistons.
Has anybody used the power valve delete kit on a big bore? or is it pretty doggy on the low end??
Thanks for the reply's guys
Trent

H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
Doggy on low end? Sheet she'll either pull the bars outta..

your hand or go over backwards. I've run virt track stands for two hundred feet. Can you tell , I like it? I've been frickin' arround with this King Cat since new. I had a great running stock bore mod. for a season or so , then tried the 925. No gain, only trouble. Then we built the 975. I was the first 'cause I was able to get the 1000 pistons before the M-1000's were even out. I still didn't get it to rip right away. Very respectable ,but not up to it's potential in my mind. Last year I put Jaws D-pipes on and wrapped them, advance the timming 3 deg. and she snapped to life. I also have a snorkel to the speedo hole, 44mm roundslides, V-force reeds, ported crank case, cylinders, mono-block high comp. heads, along with the Jaws front dumps. And to make it all actually go a Chal. Extreme 2.5''. and Sled Junky's drop brackets. This is for low alt. but for high alt. I choke the tail pipes down with inserts by two mm.
Oh, and be sure to do the recoil mod. converting it to the new style or you won't be able to start it.

Owen......ps. the valves don't have enough left after the rebore to be much help. I just blocked them open.

P

ProKlim

Dec 10, 2007
North Dakota
Thanks high time that helps. Does anybody have any boondocker numbers or a baseline to start at with an efi setup??
Thanks
Trent

S

schu

Nov 26, 2007
Houston, AK
I run the cutler 1000 pistons, and most of the guys in our group run the 990 speedwerx pistons. Our engines have good piston/bore clearances and we always give a good warm up and we haven't had a single failure. I think a well built 900 big bore is more reliable than the oem bore.

Now for pipes. I have a set of jaws-D pipes and the stock can and front dump can. I have them for sale in the swap meet section right now. The problem for me is that they where just too loud and I was willing to trade the high end power for better mid range, much less noise and a little less weight. I have a speedwerx 990 single pipe on the sled now and while it doesn't have the top end, it does pretty good at the tight boondocking.

schu

Bushpilot

Lifetime Membership
Sep 27, 2005
I used cutler 1000 kit to build up my king cat. It is an awesome motor. I used cutlers twin pipes, valves, clutch setup and bored out the carbs to cutlers specs. I have a buddy that has the speedwerx 1000 kit and sitting side by side, the cutler will pull the speedwerx sled by 6 lengths in the 600 ft. The cutler also runs cooler than the speedwerx as the water jackets on the cutler are huge. never had an overheat problem on the cutler. Oh by the way have over 4000 miles on the cutler mod.

H

HiWaYman92

Dec 14, 2008
Pinedale, Wyoming
Recommended Mods for King Cat?

I have an '05 king cat, and I have been looking at a few forums about mods for them, and I am looking for the most "bang for your buck" mods that I can do. The ones that I have thought about so far are Powder Pro Ski's, and the king cat to m series hood... any recommendations?

P

ProKlim

Dec 10, 2007
North Dakota
I have an '05 king cat, and I have been looking at a few forums about mods for them, and I am looking for the most "bang for your buck" mods that I can do. The ones that I have thought about so far are Powder Pro Ski's, and the king cat to m series hood... any recommendations?

Wildchild forward steering post helps out ALOT, sno-eliminators, I also thought my speedwerx single pipe helped out some to.
Hope this helps.
Trent

Premium Features