• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

kids starter sled

bighillm7

Lifetime Membership
Sep 21, 2011
Central Iowa
Hey guys-I am looking for a sled for the kids. I am wanting something to ride at home, Iowa, and also trails in say Laramie or Tog. I am wondering if a cat Z370 would work. Are they EFI? is there something that would work better? Not needing a long track at this time, unless it is priced exactly right. The kids ride my 2018 summit around the house when conditions are right. Also have 4 wheelers they tear around on but they are very adamite that they need to go to the mountains with dad!!! would like to keep budget around 2k. I need two sleds. kids are 11-9-7. All help appreciated!!!

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
the 600 arctic cats from the late 90's and early 2000's are good sleds and can be had for reasonable price. Most are fuel injection. best would be a 1M mountain cat 600 but a zl or zr or powder special are good sleds too. i live in nd and we have 2 that we ride around here if we get snow and i also used to have a powder special. the efi is nice, doesnt need a battery and will compensate for altitude.

frntflp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Given the ages, I would encourage a long track fan cooled sled to keep the weight off. No matter what you tell them, they will get off the tail and get stuck. Even if its' only 6" off the trail. Plus, light weight sleds are easier for "smaller people" to handle, in general. Like the Phazer comment above. Find a Phazer Mtn with a longer track. or put a 136 track on a a 440/500 fan. Or a fan cooled RMK. Didn't Polaris make a smaller model like that ? Prob Ski Doo did, too.

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
Yeah, started my kid on a Mtn. Phazer also, best 1200.00 I ever spent on sleds. Got two good years of use, grew out of it, and I sold it in a couple of days for 1200.00. The Mtn. Phazer with a 136 and pogo shock sleds are pretty forgiving off trail sleds

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
You have a lot going on in the original post. Two different locations requiring two different types of riding. Three different age kids needing three different sleds in the amount of capability.
Would a 370 work? Three of them in iowa yes. make sure it's e start of they'll get sick of it fast on a cold carb sled.
Efi didn't come out till this year for small sleds on the Arctic cat blast 4000.
The youngest might be able to ride the 370 on the trail or other packed area on the mountain but you will have your nightmare when it sinks. Plus to heavy for him to handle. Back in iowa it'll be too much sled power wise.
Now you 11 y/o prolly could handle a 5-600 in the mountain but it would be too much in iowa.
The 9 y/o the 370 for the mtn on a serious diet plus a bunch of mods. And about right for iowa.
The seven I mean he could follow ya around in a bowl or something easy on like the 200 cat or yammi. As much as you can trust anyhow
If dollars dont matter
11 y/o new cat blast 4000
9 y/o older e start 340 somthing long tracked fan cooled
7 y/o little cat or yammi 200 long tracked
Now for budgeting
11 y/o on a mod phaser long track
9 y/o the same 340
7 y/o well you can find old leaf spring sleds with less danger of high speeds into a tree but more danger of mechanical failure
Modding old sleds can cost a bunch even if you diy. I built a 76 cat into what your looking for but I have about 3500 into it

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
i have seen a few M500 arctic cats they would be pretty good for light riders on and off trail.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
It’s easy for some of these guys to spend someone else’s money, lol.
Our boys 14 and 17 now. Fck where did the years go....seems like yesterday they started riding.
First sled, an old Trail Cat. 440. Like metal cleats track! Not ideal but small enough for an 8 year old to handle on the trail and that’s where it stayed. But for $200 for an original sled with like 400 miles on it it was a perfect starter sled.
Next sleds were a Rmk 550 with a 144. And an old 380 Formula Doo that I put narrowed up front end fatter skis and a 136x16 track on. Both of those sleds would go through deep powder just fine with a lightweight kid on them. And not bad if I had to ride it out of a big stuck.
IMO if you have a line on a Z370 and it’s nice shape it’ll work great. Worst case 121 or 136 paddle track is an easy mod.
Kids will love to ride it and tats what matters. They’re not going to be side hilling tomorrow. Whatever gets them on the snow.
my kids would ride all day pulling dual carb throttles and have to stop and rest their hands. Builds character and a good grip!

Meadow Muffin

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2012
SE Iowa
I’m an Iowan also, started my kids on a 370 and a phaser. The 370 is a very short term gig for kids 40 mph on the trail is almost WOT, and here comes a burnt piston. For the money I would look for a 10-14 Cat 500 snow pro, light fuel injected, good clutches, 1.5” track in a 128. It will be plenty of sled for the young ones but with supervision they will learn quickly and be fine. Rail extensions and a quick track change makes it work out west and at home it’s fun for everyone to ditch bang on. I had a pair of them here in Iowa for the kids to ride and enjoyed a sled fix myself a lot of the time.

CISC0

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 3, 2010
PNW=WA
The 370 is an excellent sled. My daughter started out on one @9 and has since moved on to an M6. The 370 has enough power that I have spent days on it when we were transitioning her to the M6.

IMG_0407.jpgShe can even pull start the 370 herself............

Last edited:

bighillm7

Lifetime Membership
Sep 21, 2011
Central Iowa
Thanks for the replies. I know it is kind of a tall order what I am wanting but trying to do this and get and keep the kids interested. Also don't need to break the bank to do it. Keep an eye out and it you happen to see something and think of me I would greatly appreciate it. Happy sledding.

F
Jan 3, 2008
My son rode the new 200cc 4 strokes that recently came out. He was 9 when he started and is 11 now and could probably still ride it but its a bit slow on the trails so I moved him up to a 340 fanner so we could go faster on the trails. Trail speed is the only down side of the 200 we ride at 7000-9000 feet and at that altitude it goes about 22-28 mph depending on whether you are going up hill or down hill. Wish it would do about 32 mph no matter what then it would be perfect. Looked into jetting it down per the factory recommendations but the spark plug looked almost spot on. Would rather be a hair rich and have the engine last than to burn it down.

The 200 Actually does really great off in the powder and surprisingly well climbing hills within reason. Would definitely recommend one for anyone 11 and younger.

stahlecker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2010
Western NE
Honestly look at the 200s Yamaha or Arctic Cat. I know they are a bit out of your price range but they are amazing sleds. Let the kids ride (the 7 and 9 year old anyway, 11yo will get board pretty quick) them for a couple years before you move them up. Those 200s are light enough you can teach them how to get unstuck in the mountains.

Find an old 440 if you’ve got a hayfield nearby. That 11yo will spend days out there, at least me and my friends did on that JD cyclone.

Watch for some 600s for them to move up to. You can find some decent deals on them if a guy watches.

We put our 8 yo on a Snoscoot. By the second year he was disappointed in its off trail abilities. We’ve moved him up to a 600 alpha and he gets along great with it. Won’t even share it with mom. He’s pushing 11 now and is able to get that alpha up on one ski pretty good. It amazes me how well he can handle it for only being 60lbs.

Get them a good start on the basics and they can figure a lot out.

Premium Features