• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

khaos 850 155 gear down !

S

Sledneck_1987

Dec 9, 2007
just wanting to hear from guys that have used kurts gear down kit or tki belt drive.

pro / cons ?

more track speed / better acceleration ?

thanks

06redrevx

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2008
I have the pro ride gears on mine. Same ratio as Kurts original kit. Much snappier bottom end and cool running clutches

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
We use the axys quick drive belt with the pro ride gears

I've done this very combo on my 17 and my 19 and yes it's noticeable and worth it as its relatively an inexpensive mod.

I'm planning on snowchecking a 21, so it will be interesting to see the difference between a geared down standard quick drive and a QD2.

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
What gear down kit did you use ?
Used tki , I did not like the kurts ratio or the old pro pulleys. I wanted lower a lower ratio and the option of changing gears if needed. Plus tki has a tensioner which allows more teeth on the belt to contact the top gear

S

Sledneck_1987

Dec 9, 2007
Used tki , I did not like the kurts ratio or the old pro pulleys. I wanted lower a lower ratio and the option of changing gears if needed. Plus tki has a tensioner which allows more teeth on the belt to contact the top gear

What gear ratio did you go with ? Did you notice greater track speed ?

Thanks

frntflp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Ran the first year with stock gearing, then added a Kurts kit for this year. Made the sled much more user friendly. Feels easier to ride in backwoods/boondocking setting. Easier to pull on its side and spin the track out from under it on the side of a hill. Prob one of the best upgrades I've done. Anxious to see how the QD2 compares for '21.

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
What clutching do you guys run after gear down?

I am running a TKI gear down 2.52 gear ratio (25T top and 63T bottom). With this low of gearing, you have to run a steeper initial helix angle to help load the motor some off engagement otherwise it will feel very "zingy".
I am currently running:
Primary-SLP Blue/Yellow 140/310
Boondocker 63g base with #14 capsule (may need more), hitting 8350-8400rpm

Secondary-Stock Spring with Derlin
60/42/.36 Helix

I found that these sleds feel much snappier/stronger pulling ~8300rpm vs 8100rpm. I spent the beginning part of the year adding a bunch of weight to try and hit 8100 and the sled felt bogged down/lazy. As soon as I started pulling weight and getting the rpm up, it made the sled feel much snappier and revved quicker. Also felt like it pulled more on top end. I still need to get some more weight though with the boondocker weights. I bought what they recommended 63g base but I am running #14 capsule when they recommended the #10. I may need more as I am hitting 8400 depending on the snow conditions.

One down side to the gearing is my speedo is off by about 20% so I am racking up more miles that actual. Might need to figure something out there.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I am running a TKI gear down 2.52 gear ratio (25T top and 63T bottom). With this low of gearing, you have to run a steeper initial helix angle to help load the motor some off engagement otherwise it will feel very "zingy".
I am currently running:
Primary-SLP Blue/Yellow 140/310
Boondocker 63g base with #14 capsule (may need more), hitting 8350-8400rpm

Secondary-Stock Spring with Derlin
60/42/.36 Helix

I found that these sleds feel much snappier/stronger pulling ~8300rpm vs 8100rpm. I spent the beginning part of the year adding a bunch of weight to try and hit 8100 and the sled felt bogged down/lazy. As soon as I started pulling weight and getting the rpm up, it made the sled feel much snappier and revved quicker. Also felt like it pulled more on top end. I still need to get some more weight though with the boondocker weights. I bought what they recommended 63g base but I am running #14 capsule when they recommended the #10. I may need more as I am hitting 8400 depending on the snow conditions.

One down side to the gearing is my speedo is off by about 20% so I am racking up more miles that actual. Might need to figure something out there.

unplug gauge for 20% of your rides ??‍♂️

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Ive personally run the following combos and here is my quick input. Both are clutching and gearing packages I like.

Kurts gear down 32/67 and kurts clutching.
This combo provides a much needed drop in gearing while not going crazy low. I can say this is probably the easiest drop in performance gain with very little mechanical knowledge or skill. Bang for buck is really good, less belt heat. etc. Great mod for those guys who want better performance with stock like install and "tuning" needs..

TKI gear down 2.33 (27/63) TRS clutching. This setup IMO is very hard to beat for belt temps and flat out performance. It just works, pulls super hard and consistant all the time. That being said, there is more too it, both the belt drive and the clutching are more involved and require more setup (clutching espeically) Its also a little more specific for elevation. So like anything in life, that last little tiny bit of performance takes a bit more effore to chase down!

Regardless of how you get there gearing down is key (as is obvious from the new QD 2) that combo'd with some clutching results in much better overall performance and belt heat/life

rydningen

Premium Member
May 9, 2009
Northern Norway
Ive personally run the following combos and here is my quick input. Both are clutching and gearing packages I like.

Kurts gear down 32/67 and kurts clutching.
This combo provides a much needed drop in gearing while not going crazy low. I can say this is probably the easiest drop in performance gain with very little mechanical knowledge or skill. Bang for buck is really good, less belt heat. etc. Great mod for those guys who want better performance with stock like install and "tuning" needs..

TKI gear down 2.33 (27/63) TRS clutching. This setup IMO is very hard to beat for belt temps and flat out performance. It just works, pulls super hard and consistant all the time. That being said, there is more too it, both the belt drive and the clutching are more involved and require more setup (clutching espeically) Its also a little more specific for elevation. So like anything in life, that last little tiny bit of performance takes a bit more effore to chase down!

Regardless of how you get there gearing down is key (as is obvious from the new QD 2) that combo'd with some clutching results in much better overall performance and belt heat/life

Thanks for sharing!

I have geared down my 800 2016 rmkwith the proride gears, 56.42.36 helix, stock rear spring, 11-70 weights and stock spring. Pulls insanely hard. Had rpm issues with this sled while stock, pulls 8300 consistently now!

But, my stock 850 2019 with a 50.42.36 helix pulls 8450 at sealevel with the 10-72 weights...
Worried I wont be able to load the engine enough of I gear down.

Premium Features