• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Khaos 165 2.75 Shock Settings

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
A couple of us have found that the center skid shock dampening is too much on the 165. We are now on the softest setting for high speed and only a few turns off softest for low speed. The low speed really lifts the sled when turned clockwise as the shock rides higher in its stroke, This makes the steering light but also wheelies more. I typically go 2 turns back and forth on this low speed adjustment to dial in desired ski pressure for terrain and snow conditions.

T
Nov 11, 2008
The Khaos 165 is an absolute technical terrain slayer. Anyone who says otherwise hasn’t spent enough time on one. I ride more neutral now than on any other sled, it responds to rider input with much less effort and the result is less fatigue.

The first few days I overrode the sled having come off a Axys RMK 155 and thought for sure it would be as playful as the 155 based on what I was being told last winter but it’s not. The 165 inspires confidence and I often found myself putting it into situations I never expected it to do well in all winter. Track/driver issues aside it’s a fantastic combination and I have no reason to ever go back to a regular Pro RMK.

Suspension set up is very subjective. One thing I noticed the 2020 Khaos came with the light weight springs and every 21 I have seen has the regular older style ones. I am unsure if the spring rates are the same so if someone is comparing the two it could be different. Turcottes comparison of the 155’s isn’t fair either. Different set up completely. The 163/165 will transfer less, just a fact of the longer track.

The velocity shocks are very responsive to one click adjustments. I was really impressed at how well they worked. It would be nice to control the rebound but I haven’t really dialed in the spring tension and focused mostly on the high/low speed compression changes and it’s great how they just soak up everything. I think they could be valved a little softer than the range of adjustment provides but I am a light weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Over budget

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 13, 2019
Centerville utah
The Khaos 165 is an absolute technical terrain slayer. Anyone who says otherwise hasn’t spent enough time on one. I ride more neutral now than on any other sled, it responds to rider input with much less effort and the result is less fatigue.

The first few days I overrode the sled having come off a Axys RMK 155 and thought for sure it would be as playful as the 155 based on what I was being told last winter but it’s not. The 165 inspires confidence and I often found myself putting it into situations I never expected it to do well in all winter. Track/driver issues aside it’s a fantastic combination and I have no reason to ever go back to a regular Pro RMK.

Suspension set up is very subjective. One thing I noticed the 2020 Khaos came with the light weight springs and every 21 I have seen has the regular older style ones. I am unsure if the spring rates are the same so if someone is comparing the two it could be different. Turcottes comparison of the 155’s isn’t fair either. Different set up completely. The 163/165 will transfer less, just a fact of the longer track.

The velocity shocks are very responsive to one click adjustments. I was really impressed at how well they worked. It would be nice to control the rebound but I haven’t really dialed in the spring tension and focused mostly on the high/low speed compression changes and it’s great how they just soak up everything. I think they could be valved a little softer than the range of adjustment provides but I am a light weight.

I love mine. I agree with ya 100%

C
Jan 14, 2020

How can you tell the difference between old and new shock springs in the skid?

I am curious if someone put a 210# rear spring in mine or if it is the 180# spring. I have a 2021

T
Nov 11, 2008
How can you tell the difference between old and new shock springs in the skid?

I am curious if someone put a 210# rear spring in mine or if it is the 180# spring. I have a 2021

I haven’t looked close enough but there may be a part number stamped on the spring coil. I know my bike springs do.

Otherwise there could be a difference in actual height of the spring but you would need the service manual I believe to get that measurement.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I haven’t looked close enough but there may be a part number stamped on the spring coil. I know my bike springs do.

Otherwise there could be a difference in actual height of the spring but you would need the service manual I believe to get that measurement.

Part number was only on the bag mine came in…..

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca

Not sure about the rear springs but when the RMK switched to the light springs in 2019 it was obvious that there was less coils and each coil was steeper to make up the height.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I got some good rides on 3 sleds last winter:

155x3" chain drive Khaos
163x3" QD2 Pro
163x2.6" QD Khaos

I'm quite familiar with the difference in feel/characteristics of the 3" vs 2.6" tracks....so lets leave that as aside-as-possible. A 155" Khaos and a 163/5 Pro are 2 very different sleds (despite sharing the same base chassis), and my mental chart places the 163/5 Khaos just off-center between a 155 Khaos and a 163/5 Pro. With the slight lean going toward the 163 Pro end of the scale.

A 155" Khaos is it's own thing in the Polaris world.....and a 63/5 Khaos is *not* a 55 Khaos that gets stuck less. If that's what you have in mind, I think you'll be slightly disappointed....and if that's what you want, buy the 155", hit the gym, and put in some riding hours.

63 Khaos feels more like a 63 Pro with much less ski pressure and more fun injected. Nice light steering, lighter on it's feet, better suspension, and packs the skis much more readily....BUT it's not the "wheelie until it flips over" type machine that the 55 is. The first ride you have to be on your game more than the Pro when the going gets dicey....just because it reacts quicker....but once you figure that out, it really can be ridden like a Pro that just needs less steering and body effort/input IMO. As per this thread, it's also highly adjustable - BUT the general theme still rings true. With all that adjustment, there are also plenty of combinations to make it ride like crap - so keep that in mind before you start spinning dials like a complete animal, and keep in mind the theme of your particular model, as to not fight an uphill battle. Unless you like that kind of thing.

Another item to keep in mind is pre-load vs rider weight....if you are outside of the factory weight specs, you will want to check/tweak your preload settings (particularly the RTS) to keep the ride height in the ballpark, in addition to the clickers. Otherwise nothing in the suspension department is working as it should anyways. And on all of these settings - they can be quite sensitive, so always start small.

Great info in this thread, just wanted to put in 2 bits on Khaos model selection/quirks for newcomers.

Last edited:

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I got some good rides on 3 sleds last winter:

155x3" chain drive Khaos
163x3" QD2 Pro
163x2.6" QD Khaos

I'm quite familiar with the difference in feel/characteristics of the 3" vs 2.6" tracks....so lets leave that as aside-as-possible. A 155" Khaos and a 163/5 Pro are 2 very different sleds (despite sharing the same base chassis), and my mental chart places the 163/5 Khaos just off-center between a 155 Khaos and a 163/5 Pro. With the slight lean going toward the 163 Pro end of the scale.

A 155" Khaos is it's own thing in the Polaris world.....and a 63/5 Khaos is *not* a 55 Khaos that gets stuck less. If that's what you have in mind, I think you'll be slightly disappointed....and if that's what you want, buy the 155", hit the gym, and put in some riding hours.

63 Khaos feels more like a 63 Pro with much less ski pressure and more fun injected. Nice light steering, lighter on it's feet, better suspension, and packs the skis much more readily....BUT it's not the "wheelie until it flips over" type machine that the 55 is. The first ride you have to be on your game more than the Pro when the going gets dicey....just because it reacts quicker....but once you figure that out, it really can be ridden like a Pro that just needs less steering and body effort/input IMO. As per this thread, it's also highly adjustable - BUT the general theme still rings true. With all that adjustment, there are also plenty of combinations to make it ride like crap - so keep that in mind before you start spinning dials like a complete animal, and keep in mind the theme of your particular model, as to not fight an uphill battle. Unless you like that kind of thing.

Another item to keep in mind is pre-load vs rider weight....if you are outside of the factory weight specs, you will want to check/tweak your preload settings (particularly the RTS) to keep the ride height in the ballpark, in addition to the clickers. Otherwise nothing in the suspension department is working as it should anyways. And on all of these settings - they can be quite sensitive, so always start small.

Great info in this thread, just wanted to put in 2 bits on Khaos model selection/quirks for newcomers.
Agreed.

Additionally……

A silber turbo khaos 162 PC. DOES wheelie over backwards all over the place like a 155 850 2.75 khaos………

it’s just at a higher ground speed. ?

Premium Features