• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Khaos 165 2.75 Shock Settings

R
Nov 24, 2014
The way I understand it, the hot set up is rmk length front shock and limiter strap with a stiffer spring on rear shock. Rode with a few mtn khaos setups that absolutely own it! What I witnessed went against everything I had read

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk
can you explain further?

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
The way I understand it, the hot set up is rmk length front shock and limiter strap with a stiffer spring on rear shock. Rode with a few mtn khaos setups that absolutely own it! What I witnessed went against everything I had read

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk
So basically a rmk with khaos rails and better shocks?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I spent a lot of time setting up my Khaos but my goal is different. I am not trying to get it to handle like a RMK rather ride as smooth as an RMK with clicker shocks but be lighter on the front end so its not so tiring. So far it is pretty good but it bounces off some of the bumps. I am thinking I am fighting the non-adjustable rebound. I don't find they climb bad at all. You just need to stay centered and react faster then the RMK.

R
Nov 24, 2014
I spent a lot of time setting up my Khaos but my goal is different. I am not trying to get it to handle like a RMK rather ride as smooth as an RMK with clicker shocks but be lighter on the front end so its not so tiring. So far it is pretty good but it bounces off some of the bumps. I am thinking I am fighting the non-adjustable rebound. I don't find they climb bad at all. You just need to stay centered and react faster then the RMK.
I would agree the climbing isnt bad at all a smige more momentum and staying centered and it goes almost as good as a pro. My biggest take away is when initiating technical turns, for instance, a down hill turn that you would like to end up facing directly up the hill.. The sled will instantly whip around and do a return I mean I don't have to even try. That is cool and I can control it but It would be nice to make it a bit more predictable. Climbing and side hilling have been fine but I am looking for it to be a little more stable and again a little more forgiving in the technical stuff. You can ride it in there no doubt and it works better than alot of other sleds. But im looking for better as always with anything. how it came from the box I can whip it around easier than a 155 and that negates the point in some places.... might as well just have the 155 lol

Track Man

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2007
Coppins Meadow
I just came off my 155 Pro 2.6 track. Rode the 850 163 2.6 Khaos in about 2 feet of powder. Loved it so I bought one. We just had 5 feet of fresh powder last week. Rode the sled with stock settings day one. Watch that video. So day 2 did the loosening front shock tightening rear shock. The Khaos felt like a whole different sled. Loved it in deep powder trying to keep up with my kids turbo sled. Amazing I wasn’t far behind him with a stock sled. His turbo is 800 BD 2.8 track. Of course with the turbo sled he broke the chain case and cut the day short again. Can’t wait to get back out there and do some more testing on this sled.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I would agree the climbing isnt bad at all a smige more momentum and staying centered and it goes almost as good as a pro. My biggest take away is when initiating technical turns, for instance, a down hill turn that you would like to end up facing directly up the hill.. The sled will instantly whip around and do a return I mean I don't have to even try. That is cool and I can control it but It would be nice to make it a bit more predictable. Climbing and side hilling have been fine but I am looking for it to be a little more stable and again a little more forgiving in the technical stuff. You can ride it in there no doubt and it works better than alot of other sleds. But im looking for better as always with anything. how it came from the box I can whip it around easier than a 155 and that negates the point in some places.... might as well just have the 155 lol

If I wanted like a RMK I would tighten up the ski shocks and the rear shock dampening and the spring a bit. If that wasn't enough shorten the limiter 1 inch. If it gets too heavy in the steering you have overdone it. I believe there is plenty of adjustability to get it like you want.

R
Nov 24, 2014
I just came off my 155 Pro 2.6 track. Rode the 850 163 2.6 Khaos in about 2 feet of powder. Loved it so I bought one. We just had 5 feet of fresh powder last week. Rode the sled with stock settings day one. Watch that video. So day 2 did the loosening front shock tightening rear shock. The Khaos felt like a whole different sled. Loved it in deep powder trying to keep up with my kids turbo sled. Amazing I wasn’t far behind him with a stock sled. His turbo is 800 BD 2.8 track. Of course with the turbo sled he broke the chain case and cut the day short again. Can’t wait to get back out there and do some more testing on this sled.
Thats what I am going to try and it looks like we are going to have some good snow this weekend. How much did you tighten your rear track shock. I went pretty agressive and im expecting it to plant the front end on the ground, I am going to lossen it to get it back exactly where I want it. Im curious to see where you found good luck

Track Man

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2007
Coppins Meadow
I went all the way. Front shock loose back shock tight. One more note. When I got back to the trail the sled was horrible. I put it back to the fun mode.

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
i'll chime in. different scenario. have a pro, converted to Khaos with Ice Age rails, longer FTS, Khaos limiter straps. Clicker shocks, RTS with standard #210 Pro spring. set to factory length specs.
in the deep, sled seemed to trench way more than when it was a straight Pro set-up.
I did exactly what the video showed (before watching it), loosened the FTS preload, tightened the RTS preload. did not adjust clickers.
sled did not trench as much, but the snow was deep unset up, so it was a stuckfest anyway. just not as bad.
My buddy has a pro/khaos conversion with Velocities. all he did was tighten compression clickers (like the video) and had similar results

R
Nov 24, 2014
Got out to ride this sled today, no base a decent amount of new snow. Sled is basically a pro with the adjustments I did maybe doesnt hop out of the snow but if you want to put your Khaos into all business mode what I did worked

H
Feb 7, 2018
Commenting with '21 Khaos 155" ser. 8 experience and to sub because I 'checked a '22 Matryx Slash Khaos 165" ser. 8, amd still trying to figure out what settings are best, and whther I should switch my 22 snowcheck to a Pro.

I find the 155" Khaos to be too much of a one-trick pony toy and not enough of a tool unless most to all of the Khaos lift is tuned out by softening the FTS and stiffening the RTS. In very deep powder, you MUST have the RTS fully stiff and the front mostly soft, or it's just one stuck trench after another, even when already carrying momentum, at least in 155". I would get out of the trench, pin it, should have been out, stuck again 3' later. EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING when you know yous other sleds would be at the top of the mountain by then. I and the people riding with me were cursing the sled, and it made me miss my 165 Summit 850. It's fine on hero snow and not climbing steeps straight, but once you want it to point and shoot up a line straight, it's simply never going to be close to a Pro, at least in 155.

I do enjoy messing around, especially when it's not deep powder, trying to learn fun maneuvers, the ability to lift the skis "enduro wheelie style" on demand to clear obstacles, reset my line, and enjoy a fun but probably false sense of "action" in my riding, but I don't like that even with the rear suspension "locked out", I HAVE TO mess around and swerve around, losing momentum, to get up steep and deep, and that during steep side hills, when blasts of throttle are applied, instead of pushing forward/across the slope, it tends to whip uphill as other have said. The ease of initiation is great though.

I am hoping going up to 165 in the Khaos wil help it not trench as badly and climb better. I do expect the have to dial some lift back out of it still, but hopefully just not as much as with the 155.

Really hoping that with the right suspension tuning the 165 Khaos will be possible to make it float, move forward, climb a little more like a Pro than the 155 Khaos (Burandt said it does in a video) but still have some of the "poor man's turbo" instant ski lift and effortless edge initiation and agility on climbing lines.

Are 165" Khaos riders managing to climb steeps without *needing to* inefficiently swerve all over the place, losing momentum, and dial lots of lift out of their track suspension?

R
Nov 24, 2014
Commenting with '21 Khaos 155" ser. 8 experience and to sub because I 'checked a '22 Matryx Slash Khaos 165" ser. 8, amd still trying to figure out what settings are best, and whther I should switch my 22 snowcheck to a Pro.

I find the 155" Khaos to be too much of a one-trick pony toy and not enough of a tool unless most to all of the Khaos lift is tuned out by softening the FTS and stiffening the RTS. In very deep powder, you MUST have the RTS fully stiff and the front mostly soft, or it's just one stuck trench after another, even when already carrying momentum, at least in 155". I would get out of the trench, pin it, should have been out, stuck again 3' later. EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING when you know yous other sleds would be at the top of the mountain by then. I and the people riding with me were cursing the sled, and it made me miss my 165 Summit 850. It's fine on hero snow and not climbing steeps straight, but once you want it to point and shoot up a line straight, it's simply never going to be close to a Pro, at least in 155.

I do enjoy messing around, especially when it's not deep powder, trying to learn fun maneuvers, the ability to lift the skis "enduro wheelie style" on demand to clear obstacles, reset my line, and enjoy a fun but probably false sense of "action" in my riding, but I don't like that even with the rear suspension "locked out", I HAVE TO mess around and swerve around, losing momentum, to get up steep and deep, and that during steep side hills, when blasts of throttle are applied, instead of pushing forward/across the slope, it tends to whip uphill as other have said. The ease of initiation is great though.

I am hoping going up to 165 in the Khaos wil help it not trench as badly and climb better. I do expect the have to dial some lift back out of it still, but hopefully just not as much as with the 155.

Really hoping that with the right suspension tuning the 165 Khaos will be possible to make it float, move forward, climb a little more like a Pro than the 155 Khaos (Burandt said it does in a video) but still have some of the "poor man's turbo" instant ski lift and effortless edge initiation and agility on climbing lines.

Are 165" Khaos riders managing to climb steeps without *needing to* inefficiently swerve all over the place, losing momentum, and dial lots of lift out of their track suspension?
So its been quite a while since I started this thread and I have a few things to add.

1) If you adjust your shocks like you discussed the 165 is much like a PRO. The difference is really in the track from the 2.6 to the 2.75. I took it as far as to add 1.75 inches of pre load to the rear shock and its effectively a pro rmk. Only difference is when you are stuck or crawling thru the trees you gotta carry a bit more speed. But its way more of a scalpel than a hammer. Switch it around and its a fun machine and much less business.

2) Since this thread was started I blew both the rear track shocks out of my 2020 163 Pro. With a lot of riding left I converted it using Ice age rails and foxs QS-3 shocks. I already had the bomber rails. This set up is by far my favorite setup I have ever had. the 2.6 the khaos profile rails and the shocks make this thing about prefect in my mind the Quick Switch just makes all the adjustments that make a Khaos a wheelie machine to a pro super easy and fast.

3) I snow checked a 165 Khaos Slash. I waffled back and forth on the 3 inch track and went with the 2.75 but after riding a three inch in the crap snow we have had all year I went with the 2.75, which I dont prefer over the 2.6 if I dont like it that much ill be putting a 2.6 under this sled. I will be putting qs 3 shocks on it as well.

Hope that helps but I can do hop overs on a bone stock 163 pro with Khaos rails change my clickers and be just as confident as I was with it as a pro so if that helps any I think you will be very happy with the 165.

Spiderman

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Mn
I can add I have the 2021 khaos 850 165 with the series 8. I am 185lbs with out gear. I had the slow speed shock settings two clicks off the soft setting on all shocks and the high speed on 4 off soft on all shocks. I was climbing with a 155 turbo 800 pro axys and a 163 800 pro axys with a pipe. The guy with the turbo was 220 without gear and the na 163 was 200 without gear. I was out climbing both. The front was popping on the 155. The front stayed down just as good as the 163 in these settings and we were in some steep terrain. I was really surprised how well it did. I know I can still lock the back shock out if it starts popping the front end. I did not trench any worse than either of them. I could do everything my pro did but easier...with the exception of having to be a little more forward when sidehilling to keep it from turning uphill. I was definitely not as tired at the end of the day with the khaos because of how quick it reacted. I turned the high speed setting up to 4 from 2 just because of the moguls on the trail and it made a huge difference in ride quality for the better. All this testing was in 1ft to 3 ft of fresh. The 2.75 is going to be a really good track if they get it beefed up a bit. No experience with set up snow yet.

Last edited:
H
Feb 7, 2018
Great feedback! Thank you. It sounds like I can get the 165 Khaos to do what I want it to and be the best of both instead of all compromises. I loved the QS3s on my Summit and can only imagine what they would do on the Khaos although since I am pretty light the Velocities are okay for a $700 OEM option at least to start. Now I can rest easy and stop obsessing over whether to change my snowcheck to a Pro.

H
Feb 7, 2018
I can add I have the 2021 khaos 850 165 with the series 8. I am 185lbs with out gear. I had the slow speed shock settings two clicks off the low setting on all shocks and the high speed on 4 on all shocks. I was climbing with a 155 turbo 800 pro axys and a 163 800 pro axys with a pipe. The guy with the turbo was 220 without gear and the na 163 was 200 without gear. I was out climbing both. The front was popping on the 155. The front stayed down just as good as the 163 in these settings and we were in some steep terrain. I was really surprised how well it did. I know I can still lock the back shock out if it starts popping the front end. I did not trench any worse than either of them. I could do everything my pro did but easier...with the exception of having to be a little more forward when sidehilling to keep it from turning uphill. I was definitely not as tired at the end of the day with the khaos because of how quick it reacted. I turned the high speed setting up to 4 from 2 just because of the moguls on the trail and it made a huge difference in ride quality for the better. All this testing was in 1ft to 3 ft of fresh. The 2.75 is going to be a really good track if they get it beefed up a bit. No experience with set up snow yet.
Do you mean the X # of clicks off full clockwise, or counterclockwise?

Premium Features