• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Keeping Engine Cool In Marginal Conditions.....

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
Last season had some issues keeping the 2020 Expert cool in marginal conditions like frozen trails and lake ice with no snow on it. Very frustrating to say the least.

Out of desperation one day I put a loop of chain around each ski.......PROBLEM SOLVED! The loops of chain throw up a lot snow and ground ice keeping temps were they need to be. You barely notice the chains and they are easy to put on and take off. Sure beats stopping all the time to pack snow in the track!

The loops of chain only have to be big enough the fit over the ski tips and slide down the ski to catch on the spindle.......works great!

96-ramair

Lifetime Membership
Oct 11, 2012
Type/size of chain? Pics?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
Hi Guys,

1. Most any reasonable size chain works, i am using about 1 1/4 inch link chain. Have used the chain loops for descending hard icy hillsides in late spring conditions.

2. The beauty of using the chain loops is all you have to do is ride to make them work.

3. Yes! this eliminates the need to use the removable snow flap.

Cheers

duncan76

Lifetime Membership
Aug 16, 2013
central 509
I just get a 50 lb onion sack fill it with snow and strap it to the tunnel with bungie netting. Can go ten miles before you have to fill it again but I'm usually in the good stuff by then. Plus when it's empty only weighs an ounce

rab

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
get those front brp rail scratchers and just drop them and forget about them , worked for me

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
Installing my removable snow flap in conjunction with the factory ice scratchers... no problem. A side note, if the snow sucks... I just stay home.
Seems the snow always suck down low where we ride and dealing with it is just part of the game to ride the good stuff in the higher elevations. Often ice scratchers and the snow flap are just not enough to provide adequate cooling. Try the chain loops, you will be amazed how well they work on ice.

R
Nov 16, 2016
I just get a 50 lb onion sack fill it with snow and strap it to the tunnel with bungie netting. Can go ten miles before you have to fill it again but I'm usually in the good stuff by then. Plus when it's empty only weighs an ounce

I've not used the onion sack, but that's not a bad idea.
Any snow that can lay on top of the heat exchanger can't help but remove heat from the coolant.

get those front brp rail scratchers and just drop them and forget about them ,

With this style being further forward, they do work well.

Let's not forget that while riding on ice, the hyfax runners may not receiving enough H2O lubrication.

But alas.... I have the ultimate ice riding solution.
This is my new Thorten 3500 .
Contact me for pricing, availability and shipping.

Thorten slush making machine.jpg

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
Pictures of chain loops to enhance cooling when running on icy trials & frozen lakes:

IMG_2965.jpgIMG_2966.jpg
IMG_2967.jpg

Loops are just big enough to go over the ski loops, store nicely in a heavy gauge plastic bag and weigh only about 2 pounds. Lots easier to deal with than the removal-able snow flap. The chains loops throw up a huge amount of ground ice giving the hyfax and coolers more than enough icy spray to keep everything cool and lubed. The steering is hardly effected.

Merry Christmas

ziggity

Premium Member
Mar 30, 2015
Even running no snow flap i never have over heating problems as long as scratchers are down ( not an expert ) .

R
Nov 16, 2016
Update:
I have received 3 orders for the new Thorten 3500 Ice-to-Slush cooling system.
Place your order soon.... stock is limited.

1608643889610.png

All kidding aside..... have any of you tried the little ski mounted ice scrapers?
I have seen them only, and have never tried them.

I do like what Bendy said:
"If the snow sucks, stay home."

One good over-heat could end up being a very expensive day on the mountain.

Last edited:

TreewellDweller

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
McCall, Idaho
Last season had some issues keeping the 2020 Expert cool in marginal conditions like frozen trails and lake ice with no snow on it. Very frustrating to say the least.

Out of desperation one day I put a loop of chain around each ski.......PROBLEM SOLVED! The loops of chain throw up a lot snow and ground ice keeping temps were they need to be. You barely notice the chains and they are easy to put on and take off. Sure beats stopping all the time to pack snow in the track!

The loops of chain only have to be big enough the fit over the ski tips and slide down the ski to catch on the spindle.......works great!
Great idea. I’m going to be giving it a try. The spring loaded scratchers that come standard on the summits stick down about 2.5“. if you have a 2.8” or 3” paddle they are virtually useless. Even with a snow flap. Just a fact.
There is always that couple of miles of trail to get to the jumping off spot.
Thanks

Premium Features