• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Kalispell snow?

t300

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2009
Manitoba
Going back to Kalispell area end of Dec. Can anyone provide some feedback on snowdepth/conditions? Usually ride within 45mins drive from Kalispell in any/all directions

Thanks

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
Very skimpy still, started off with some good dumps early Nov, then warmed up and melted everything down low and lots up high.
Whitefish mountain ski has very limited terrain open. We need a good dump or two.

t300

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2009
Manitoba
Thank-you. Saw the whitefish cams the other day and didn't look as good as I hoped. looks like some snow over the next week so hopefully it comes in big!

txinmt

Lifetime Membership
Mar 17, 2013
Montana USA
Finally snowing today!! Not the dump we need, but I will take what I can get. Supposed to snow over the next few. Only 28" at Stahl Peak right now. "They" were saying that we were supposed to have about 10% more snow this winter than last year. If that is true......it better start dumping soon.

txinmt

Lifetime Membership
Mar 17, 2013
Montana USA
Going back to Kalispell area end of Dec. Can anyone provide some feedback on snowdepth/conditions? Usually ride within 45mins drive from Kalispell in any/all directions

Thanks

What is your favorite ride in the Kalispell area?

t300

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2009
Manitoba
What is your favorite ride in the Kalispell area?

Not sure! I went dec 2014 and dec 2015, each time 4 days of riding a different spot each day, always trailer out within 45mins or so of Kalispell. Only name I remember is hungry Horse lol. Always looking for good suggestions for intermediate riders (flatlanders with around 10 mountain trips under our belts, so maybe calling us intermediate is too ambitious!). We like the trees and meadows , not into straight up. Well it’s the way down we don’t like actually

txinmt

Lifetime Membership
Mar 17, 2013
Montana USA
Not sure! I went dec 2014 and dec 2015, each time 4 days of riding a different spot each day, always trailer out within 45mins or so of Kalispell. Only name I remember is hungry Horse lol. Always looking for good suggestions for intermediate riders (flatlanders with around 10 mountain trips under our belts, so maybe calling us intermediate is too ambitious!). We like the trees and meadows , not into straight up. Well it’s the way down we don’t like actually

Haha. Yeah.....up is the easy part right? You can always do what I did and make yourself a "chicken belt" to put over the end of one ski to slow your descent on the REALLY steep hills.

You can take Grave Creek up by Fortine and ride in to Therriault lakes.
You can go to the Olney trail and go up towards Upper Whitefish lake or take the Stryker loop or the Werner peak road up to the back side of Big Mountain up to the summit house on the ski resort.
Lots of good areas to ride from Hungry Horse, like in towards Lost Johnny, or up towards Strawberry lake.
North of Columbia Falls, off of the Nrthfrok road, you can take Canyon Creek up behind Big Mountain to the summit house. Or you can go in McGinnis Creek. That is a popular riding area.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Is it worth riding Canyon Creek/Olney trail systems at the end of March or will it be just slush and mushy snow down low at that time of year?

Premium Features