• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Just snow checked my 1st Skidoo

M
Jan 28, 2008
NW Montana
I have been on polaris for a few years now and after a day on a 19 freeride I'm sold!!, it took me about 1.5 hours on it before I felt comfortable. The thing is AWESOME !! I didn't want to finish the year out on my axys or pro after riding the skidoo. I ordered a 165 summit expert Black. Now I'm counting down the days for snow.
The rider forward to me is amazing, I could do more on the G4 than I could on my axys, I did not have any problem in the tight trees infact I felt way more comfortable dropping into steep ravines, no white knuckle feeling like on the Polaris. I felt in complete control and could turn and pick a line with ease if the bottom was nasty. I know the freeride weighs more than my axys but it rides like its 100 pounds lighter to me, I did not feel worn out at the end of the day. Thank you Skidoo for making a great sled and thanks to the dealer that let me demo it for the day, S&S Sports. This is my 1st snow check sled ever, I have always bought demo sleds or 1 year old.

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
I have been on polaris for a few years now and after a day on a 19 freeride I'm sold!!, it took me about 1.5 hours on it before I felt comfortable. The thing is AWESOME !! I didn't want to finish the year out on my axys or pro after riding the skidoo. I ordered a 165 summit expert Black. Now I'm counting down the days for snow.
The rider forward to me is amazing, I could do more on the G4 than I could on my axys, I did not have any problem in the tight trees infact I felt way more comfortable dropping into steep ravines, no white knuckle feeling like on the Polaris. I felt in complete control and could turn and pick a line with ease if the bottom was nasty. I know the freeride weighs more than my axys but it rides like its 100 pounds lighter to me, I did not feel worn out at the end of the day. Thank you Skidoo for making a great sled and thanks to the dealer that let me demo it for the day, S&S Sports. This is my 1st snow check sled ever, I have always bought demo sleds or 1 year old.

super pumped for you and glad it was a wicked experience, what sledding is all about!

M
Jan 28, 2008
NW Montana
Thanks

I'm glad I kept riding the sled that day, after the first 1/2 hour I almost took it back to the truck. But after learning where to place my feet and and the trick of just leaning, it was a blast. I have a old shoulder injury that always hurts after a day on my Polaris to the point it takes me 2-3 day to recoup. After riding the G4 I was just slightly sore but I could have road the next day. It was just a blast to ride in 1.5 feet of fresh powder.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
I'm glad I kept riding the sled that day, after the first 1/2 hour I almost took it back to the truck. But after learning where to place my feet and and the trick of just leaning, it was a blast. I have a old shoulder injury that always hurts after a day on my Polaris to the point it takes me 2-3 day to recoup. After riding the G4 I was just slightly sore but I could have road the next day. It was just a blast to ride in 1.5 feet of fresh powder.

Have you tried the new "react" front end on the new Polaris mountain sleds?

M
Jan 28, 2008
NW Montana
No I have not, after riding the skidoo and feeling so good after riding it for the day there was no need to try the polaris with the new front end, the main thing I loved about the skidoo is the rider forward and whatever front end Polaris puts on there sled it's still a axys and the do good but I felt the skidoo was extremely better. That's just my opinion but I have never spent this much money on a sled ever but I felt the skidoo was worth it. I did not dislike my Polaris until I road the G4, with that said I'm going to keep the Polaris for a while but I honestly can't imagine going back.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
No I have not, after riding the skidoo and feeling so good after riding it for the day there was no need to try the polaris with the new front end, the main thing I loved about the skidoo is the rider forward and whatever front end Polaris puts on there sled it's still a axys and the do good but I felt the skidoo was extremely better. That's just my opinion but I have never spent this much money on a sled ever but I felt the skidoo was worth it. I did not dislike my Polaris until I road the G4, with that said I'm going to keep the Polaris for a while but I honestly can't imagine going back.

That's interesting. I have a couple skidoos and even I dont feel that strong about it. haha. Glad you found something you like.

S
Mar 14, 2016
I snowchecked a summit x expert 154 in black. Can’t wait for next year. It truly is the easiest sled I have ever ridden. I had an 16 summit t3 154 with some extras (can, skis, shocks)and loved it but time for new one and once i rode a new one my friend owned. I couldn’t believe how easy it was to ride. Lean and turn. Bring on winter

JungleJim

Premium Member
Dec 11, 2007
Calgary, Alberta

Congrats, MT! Made the same move to the G4 a couple years ago for the same reason as I had pulled tendons in my shoulders which made riding my Axys tougher. After a day on a G4 I was riding it better than the Axys I had rode for 2 years. Admittedly I'm not an expert rider and not nearly as serious as the Polaris faithful but it works for me. Maybe with the new Expert I snow checked last week I'll get a little better yet again.., fingers crossed!

C
Dec 27, 2012
one and half hours?

mttamer: What didnt you like for the first one and half hour. I am very
interested in buying a new summitt but did the handlebars move alot,
as I watch videos of new summitts they move alot more then polaris.
I ride a 2017 800 cat snopro and it is very planted with many adjustments
to improve steering effort but but end of the day with sore arms.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
mttamer: What didnt you like for the first one and half hour. I am very
interested in buying a new summitt but did the handlebars move alot,
as I watch videos of new summitts they move alot more then polaris.
I ride a 2017 800 cat snopro and it is very planted with many adjustments
to improve steering effort but but end of the day with sore arms.

If you have not been riding a Doo, you will need some time to get used to how the chassis responds,and how you respond to it. The Doo rides differently than the Cat or Polaris, those are very similar.

My Doo demo ride required a couple hours to get used to it too, not unusual I think. Quit trying to ride hardpack and the skis will dart around less...lol Most of my buddies are on Doo's, they all love them.

M
Jan 28, 2008
NW Montana
The biggest thing that I had to get used to was not trying to steer the skidoo around every obstacle. The Doo rides like a snowbike IMO you lean with it more that you turn with the skis. The 1st five seconds off the trail I buried it because I let a bump in the snow throw me off course. Later that day I went through the same spot and flew past it like it was not there. I could ride the sled like I was 15 years younger, it is truly the most fun I have had on a sled but you have to give it a chance, the first hour or so you may hate it, but if you spend time on it in good snow conditions you will be smiling from ear to ear.

The last skidoo I was on was a xp and I could not get used to it but I only spent 15 min on it and gave it back. That could have been the same with the G4 but thankfully i stuck with it, now i will have one for next winter.

noob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I've owned yamaha and polaris and now ride skidoo. Yamaha is yamaha, nice, heavy and wear you out. Great power but I don't like to suffer for 3 days after riding.

I found my axys to be more a centralized effort to side hill and ride if that makes sense. The ski-doo you just lean to the side you want to side hill or direction you want to go and it just flat out does it. My g-4 is the funnest sled I've owned yet. They are all great, ski-doo just fits the bill right now.

J
May 3, 2019
I agree with the above. The doo turns with ease. Takes some time to get used to. Takes less effort. At first I felt squirly on the doo. I pulled the trigger on a 2020. Over time I'm sure I will get used to it.
My only concern is high speed stability in the trees. On my cat I can fly through tight trees without a second thought. I'm hoping that my stability concerns on the doo was just due to little seat time or front shock setup.
The doo definitely rides different than other sleds. I don't believe that is a bad thing though.

M
Jan 28, 2008
NW Montana
When I test road the freeride 165 I was amazed how fast I could ride thru the trees compared to my polaris, it felt like I was flying thru them. It is so easy to ride I did not care about picking lines like I do on my Polaris. I'm looking forward to being on a skidoo this coming winter

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
Skidoo just makes great products. I've owned them all Axys 850, Alpha, and a Gen 4. Sold the Axys but still have the Alpha and Gen 4. In the steepest of steep conditions that I'm in 5-10% of my day the Axys and Alpha are better but not by a lot. For the rest of the day meadows, creeks, decently steep trees, and playfulness the Gen 4 is a great sled. I spent most of the winter on my Alpha but did swap back to my Gen 4 for a few rides and was reminded its a great sled everytime. Still gave the nod to my Alpha for fun factor till I lost my motor with only 1050km. If I was buying this year it would be an expert 154.

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
Been on the G4 for two years. Have not rode the Alpha. I am sure it's a good sled too. I definitely feel like most on here. Easier to ride. Doesn't wear you out. Steer with your body weight....all that is true. I also find it funny that somebody mentioned what we've been saying about my father. Every two or three years he upgrades right at the point we feel maybe he should stop sledding. He's 71 and still rides most of the places we do. The Polaris Pro was the second biggest improvement in his abilities coming up from the Dragon. He rides a 19' G4 175 now just motors on and isn't tired. Last year we were in a drainage and I had to ride his Pro out of it for him. Had him ride my G4 out. He said, "Holy crap this thing is so easy to ride! No wonder you guys ride where you ride." Looking forward to next winter already.

farmboy84

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
New Prague, MN
I finally convinced my old man to upgrade to a G4 also from an xp. He didn't like mine when he tried it over the last 3 seasons but I finally got it in his head he was trying to hard. Really looking forward to the rides next year after he gets used to it.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Premium Features