• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Just Purchased a 800HO

C
Feb 2, 2010
I just purchased an 800 hawk. Its yellow with a 136 track and the small gas tank, not sure of the year. It has a Jaws pipe on it, hand warmers, flip down wheels on the front ski, airbox has been opened up, and thats about it for modifications. Just wondering what are the must do modifications to the sled. Looks like it needs a new belt.
The previous owner says I should get the bigger tank.

D
Feb 9, 2009
prince george B.C.
thats a 07,with the bigger tank ,it needs to be modded or it will suck air once it gets down half way,figure out a way to carry gas instead,if you dont have a manual you should be able to download one online..

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
where are you located Craig???
I think the most immediate mod is fixing the ergos.. I moved my steering post forward a few inches and raised the seat the same.. If you have the ski setback you may want to loose that. I cant ride with one, but others love them.The hawk mod list can be extensive, I would ride it a bit and get to know what will be important to you, where you ride has a lot to do with that... Have fun

C
Feb 2, 2010
I looked at the bill of sale, it is an 2007.
I have ridden this sled a bit in the Sicamous (Owls head) Revelstoke (Eagles) areas. I also rode in Corbin with Bernie Carrier and LLoyd Bosch from Lethbridge. I live in Calgary. I like to ride dirt bikes in the summer so I enjoy riding the Hawk in the medows and treed areas.

Last edited:
S
Nov 26, 2007
Kennewick Wa
Ride it first.

Your tank should be the original 8.5/9 gal, no rear tail light filler/air release cap it's the most manageble tank in the big hills over the 12 gal version.

You original air box took its air under the carbs, even AD Boivin ran the Uni filter pods on their machines. If you still have the four pulley cog belt secondary transmission change top pully to 28 from 30 teeth, remove 1360mm belt and smooth idler pully a pan head allen bolt is mounted from inside frame nylock nut inside pully hard to remove, go to 1280mm belt and check lower sprocket for wear or proper torque in clutch pack. Chain drive replacement of all makes for easy gearing changes specially if you go longer with your track, not too long though if you like how these machines turn :face-icon-small-coo as in the vid @ .55 vvvv!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l118fKX3-xk

Last edited:
C

cjgodden

Nov 26, 2007
Palmer, Alaska
Clutching, Clutching , clutching. The most gains will be in clutching for the type of riding you do. These were clutched for trails and lake riding, it is not right for deep powder and tree riding. Start there and ride it. When you find issues that you dont like, we probibly have a solution. There are enough of us die hard hawkers that ride in every type of condidtion that someone has a fix for an issue. The problem is that not everybody has the same issues and some fixes work for others and not for some. Ride it and come back and ask questions.

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
suspension relocation brackets would be a good idea hollow 9gram pins in primary and a straight 44 helix will help for altitude. keep small tank for better handling for sure.

C
Feb 2, 2010
Thanks for the response guys. I just came in from the shop. I think the machine needs a good look thru to be sure its trustworthy and reliable on a mountain ride.
For sure it needs a new cogged final drive belt, the existing one is frayed a bit on the edges.
It does have the smaller tank without the gas cap behind the seat. Makes sense to keep it light.
I dont really have a clue have to dial in a snowmobile style clutch. Can you suggest a site where i can go to read about all the different adjustments?

The one thing that I really noticed the last time I rode it (one full year ago) was the looseness in the steering. There is a lot of play in all the pivot points and steering column that add up to a vague feeling in the bars - is this common? I am comparing this to a dirtbike which I consider very responsive.

I also read about the Holstman altitude compensator - do you really need one? or just deal with it running a bit fat.

Last edited:
S
Nov 26, 2007
Kennewick Wa
You about ready to do some lernen!

There are tons of clutching topics throughout this Snowest Forum spend an afternoon or five and you will get the jist, find a friend who gets all the sled mags, once or twice a year they show a teardown and rebuild of most types of primary and secondary clutches, then ther's Youtube.

Steering, the 4 bolts 6mm x really long maybe 70mm holding the steering stem to the bulk head through the plastic bushings may have one or two broken at the nut.

You can ask any Ski-Doo shop for the pins J and L mentioned, 10 gram hollow for up to 6000', 9 gram 6-10,000', 415 ramps to replace stock 417's not critical but you should if you want it to rock, spring same as Ski-Doo Summit 800 2004-2006 these parts will get you in the right direction on the primary lower clutch. Secondary on the 800 Snow Hawk is worth keeping if your budget is small it's similar to the Summit's just not sprung or Helix right but can work in original trim. Artic Cat from Bud/Yamacat is the best bang for the buck just don't forget to tell him it's for the splined 800 Ski-Doo shaft not original keyway 503F/600HO Snow Hawk. The Artic Cat belt, part # 0627-020 is Bud's choice for his clutch, I found it works well and lasts longer on a 600HO still with stock clutching set up as best as it can, so should it with yours.

Original jets should be 490 mains if you are around the before mentioned riding elevations then replace starting around 420 and check plugs dropping no less then to 390's, if your HIGHER then lean out or call the cops! To do the carbs right remove them and go down a few sizes on the pilot jets.

Attac is something to consider but I'd rather put my money towards a Summit parts machine or runner, swap electrics and control module and anything else Summit, 144" track, clutch parts if low miles, etc., then use OEM Snow Hawk parts to reinstate sled to running cond. and dump that COUCH for what sum TWOSKI:boxing: will giv-for-her!

Don't ever mention you're working on a Hawk to the person at the dealer counter, throws them way off, not to mention your asking for parts from an "OLD" sled. They might just send you down to sales for an 012 8HUNNERT Etek!:second::boxing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M55m81BWdBc scene @ 5:10 :face-icon-small-win

The cog belt fraying is just the beginning of your problems with that longer 1360mm 4 pulley setup, next comes the "cracked" frame if you don't change to the before mentioned or chain drive.

Since you've joined this club your just going to have to do alot of this stuff for your self if you want it right, bonus is you'll find out just how easy it all is and that those genius's at the "SLED SHOP" will do just fine if there are any turnovers at the local Jiffy Lube.

No bonus just plain SUCKS!:becky:

Last edited:
C

cjgodden

Nov 26, 2007
Palmer, Alaska
For sure it needs a new cogged final drive belt, the existing one is frayed a bit on the edges. Keep a backup with you in your backpack, hawks dont tow very well.

I dont really have a clue have to dial in a snowmobile style clutch. Can you suggest a site where i can go to read about all the different adjustments?

www.mxzx-revzone.com/ D.J. is your best resource to learn the ski-doo TRA clutch, he has a ton of tech articals to help you learn.

There is a lot of play in all the pivot points and steering column that add up to a vague feeling in the bars

The bushings that the steering post are held by are not very good, replace them and it will tighen up the steering.

I also read about the Holstman altitude compensator - do you really need one? or just deal with it running a bit fat -

I really depends on what kind of altitude change you are taking, your good for about 3000 ft of change and then you will start having bogging issues, if your going to change altitude more than that in one day you will want to concider a ATTAC or similuar compensator

CJ

C
Feb 2, 2010
is the chain drive conversion a must? do you have a detailed list of parts that i would need to do it? Or should I just stay with the shorter cogged belt that you described earlier?

What are suspension relocation brackets? what performance advantage do they serve?

Last edited:
C

cjgodden

Nov 26, 2007
Palmer, Alaska
IMHO, the chain drive eliminates some issues, I was not able to keep the clutch pack from slipping and that is why I came up with the idea. There are pics on here that show you what i did. As far as a detailed list of parts I have not given that out freely, but if you do a little of you own research you can buy all the parts at any bearing wharehouse. Many other riders have stuck with the belts, but for what they cost to replace a chain drive is the way to go.

The suspension relocation brackets change where the swingarm attach to the frame. In stock form as the suspension colapses the track gets tighter. makes for a stiffer ride. With some fiddiling around a position was found to move the swingarm so that when the suspension moves the track adjustment stays the same. It makes the suspension move more easily and works very well. If your interested in getting a set, I have a set I would sell you, I changed my rear suspension to one that came out of a 503 hawk ( works better for my riding style) send me a PM if your interested.

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
I have a better set of steering bushing that i normally supply. they dont wear out at all like the stock ones and have a grease zerk also. I just sold my last set again so will get some ordered again. I have a good list of stuff on the web site garysengine.com to look at too. Pretty much what is on that site is good upgrades or maintance. If your in the powder alot get a ski upgrade that Tlkd makes, should help alot with flotation and makes landing jumps much safer. Give me a call and I can give you more info if you want. Les

Premium Features