• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Just moved to Camarillo,CA from Minnesota

M
Jan 13, 2013
My sled is still back in MN but I was considering bringing it out if there was somewhere to ride. I have a 2015 Freeride 146. I lived in Minneapolis and used to trailer 3-6 hrs to Northern Minnesota or the UP to ride so I am ok driving a ways.

What I am wondering is where the closest place to Camarillo would be to ride and if there is snow there. Also what is the typical time frame they have snow?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I live in Newbury Park ... next town east up the hill up the 101.

Time to ride is now.

Best storms are Jan thru march BUT been in a SEVERE drought for several years.

For groomed trails 4 hours away with trailer.

Closest on east side is 5-6 hours to mammoth Lakes.

PM me with phone number and will get details.

Last edited:

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Thanks. Is there Avalanche risk at Sherman Pass? I don't have any avi gear

Nope no AVI risk

BUT you are an hour from any help at the trailhead.

Even though the area is National Forest there a few risks.

Some of the meadows are used in the summer for cattle and they just drop the barb wire in the meadows

There are some cliffs there.

Some meadows don't freeze up so be on the look out for open hot springs.

Storms here in California are pretty fast and intense. So much so most everyone will not ride in them. Winds over a mountain crest will average 70 to 100 mph. Add snow and a white out stops you in your tracks.

We should be getting (4) a few storms here this week and you can compare them to Midwestern storms.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
In Los Angeles you can drive 15 over most speed limits except schools.

Out in the remote towns a few miles over the posted speed limit and you'll get a ticket.

Plus you have to have snow chains ... even in a 4wd truck.

Also law enforcement will make sure you have all your tags.

The local NFS is in Kernville CA 760-376-3781 and the motorized recreation officer bikes

Last edited:

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Cool thanks for all the tips. Do you ride much? What do you have?

Rode 3 times this year about a week with children. one Mammoth two times Sherman

900 rmk 166

2010 rmk 727 w 155

2007 rmk 727 w 144

apex

and lots of old stuff

I will ride this week between storms ???? Some ride buddies are with Los Angeles Schools and still off this week.

In Mammoth the trails are CROWDED for the weekend. Most easy access open areas are tracked up in a weekend.

At Sherman you are lucky to see another group out and about except at trailhead and yurts.

Towns around Sherman Pass ... Kernville and Lake Isabella shut down around 7-8 pm

Mammoth costs money to stay there and is one busy ski town and anti snowmobile IMHO.

Sherman Pass area you will swear you are not in California until you ride up next to a Sequoia tree.

Last edited:

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Camarillo ... Road bike riding everywhere, mountain bikes riding 5 miles away ... the beach, best surfing in SOCAL , boogie , sand , kayak 20 minutes away , sea kayak in caves 2 hours away. Biggest roller coaster park in USA 1 hour away , Motorcycle & Jeep trails an hour away. Disney 2 hours. Whitewater rafting 3 hours , Snowmobiling 3-4 hours.

At least 30 museums and many many different cultures.

First time to live near Los Angeles

Lots to do here

Last edited:

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Sherman sounds the best. When I type in Kernville to phone it says only 3 hrs 19 min

Greenhorn trail is on HWY 155 with the entrance about 15 miles from Kernville. Turn left at Wofford Heights and it is about 7 miles up the mountain.

Sherman Pass Road is about 25 miles north of Kernville and up Sherman is 7 to 15 miles depending where the snow starts.

Typically the good snow starts around 7000 feet but snow trails might start lower

Premium Features