• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Jumped ship to Polaris, what do I need to know?

firehole

Premium Member
Mar 2, 2018
So I just jumped ship from ski-doo (had a rev, xp, and xm T3) to Polaris and just bought a 2020 800 Khaos! Super excited about the new sled. I had a lot of great times on the doo's but my riding has changed to more steep and tight trees and drainages, so it was time to move on and try something different, aka lighter and not so fat. I am very familiar with the doo's but I don't mechanically know anything about the Poo's nor does anyone in my riding group (all doo's and cat's).

-My main question to you is what do I need to know mechanically speaking about the Polaris, i.e. what are the main offenders, what needs frequent attention, maintenance, common problems? For example, I've read quite a bit about the 800 engine, engine mounts, and the wiring/relays just not sure if these are still issues in 2020. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

-Secondly, are there any stand out mods worth doing before the season starts? Clutching, balancing, gearing, of just add fuel/oil and go? I'm not looking to go down the rabbit hole with this and won't be putting a turbo on it this year, just looking for must-do's. I just know that I've had to do work on all of the doo clutches, all the time. For reference I live and ride in SW Montana, 6k-10k, 170 no gear, and only ride trails to get to the mountains.

Thanks for the help and advise!

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Ride it as is.

You are the target weight and elevation for polaris factory setup.

Add protection if you hit stuff.

Add bags if you bring stuff. (Dash and under-seat poo bags are good)

Adjust shock clickers to your liking.

Good starting point below.

C0FA6F52-44B1-4D18-9903-C75B9BE6BA05.jpeg

^^^ average rider.

Wanna get serious?
Dura pro ski rubbers.
TRS clutching and alignment.
Gear down (pro ride pulleys cheapest)
Footwell block offs. (1/16” uhmw for non snow sticking and dry clutches)
Boondocker air intakes.
850 running boards (they really are better)
Foothoops bend up 10degrees.
Cut out the very front crossbar in the footwell.
Avid drivers and mtntek anti stab, (smooth running)
A-arms of choice for strength (i hit stuff)

Last edited:

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I rode doo since 94..made the switch last year and what a good choice. Did a gear down(poo geared to tall) and indydan primary clutch balance and TRS alignment. The polaris is just soooo much better. My clutchs barely get warm and have no venting. Your gonna love the sled in technical riding.

Also get the magnetic tether. No matter what!

Last edited:

TDR

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2012
It’s good enough as is. If you want to get into the fine details gear down and clutch kit are solid choices. Also from personal experience make sure you pick up a TSS bypass. That little sucker may save you a lot of grief some day.

I
Dec 21, 2016
Subscribed. I went down an 80 page rabbit hole thread of doom regarding the 850 issues that would have a new buyer second guessing every choice they’ve ever made in life, but likely typical internet chatter and you’ve got the 800 anyway. Looking forward to hearing a Doo guy’s feedback. I’m not sure if I could cheat on Doo, but the Polaris sleds sure are appealing.

firehole

Premium Member
Mar 2, 2018
It’s good enough as is. If you want to get into the fine details gear down and clutch kit are solid choices. Also from personal experience make sure you pick up a TSS bypass. That little sucker may save you a lot of grief some day.

What’s the deal with the TSS?

firehole

Premium Member
Mar 2, 2018
Thanks for the suggestion, after using tethers I will absolutely be putting one on before I go for the first ride. Why in the world would Polaris not have one on their mountain sleds from the factory? Seems pretty obvious to me.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Lots of great insights from knowledgeable, proven Poo riders. The Poo factory tether is an option - it's cheap, install without the backing washer and pop in screw in the male end, little lube, it works, many use it successfully, FWIW. Durapros are a must if you ride with grippers - you will blow out the stock rubbers. You will need new clutch tools if you're going to service them yourself - puller, clutch holder, spider retainer, Spider nut remover, good torx bits for Team helix, offset and float spacers, etc. Connect with a good local poo tuner and they'll walk you through it. SLP offers some good poo tools. Clutch tuning and servicing is much easier than the stock doo. Footloops have broken alot of ankles - cut them, everett ankle savers, etc. are remedies. Get a quiet can. Grease the skid often. Watch track tension until it's done stretching. Go ride.

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
Since Skidoos love to dive into the ditch in fresh powder, possibly due to rider weight too far forward and skis too small for the weight that is one them, you need a big shovel. With Polaris, you can leave that shovel at home in the garage.

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
Being the only guy with brand in a group sucks because the other guys doesn't know all the details when it comes to issues and you cannot exchange parts together.

but on that note you're the only one who've seen the light :D

chromoly a arms is the first thing I'd do

firehole

Premium Member
Mar 2, 2018
Thanks for the advice and suggestions.

Right now I'm going to do mainly b/c they’re relatively cheap and easy:
Tether
Spare TSS bypass
Foot loop mod or delete
Durapros

Still on the fence about:
Gearing
Clutching

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
You also should be aware that changing your front skid shock spring tension on a Polaris makes a huge change even with 1-2 turns unlike the Ski-doo that it takes many turns to feel any difference. So if it feels "too heavy" or too "out of control" just take the time to play with this adjustment. I know too many guys who set it and forget it, when they should tune this to best suit them or the conditions.

You also need to know that you will be ridiculed by the Doo riders until you take lines they can only dream about.

firehole

Premium Member
Mar 2, 2018
You also should be aware that changing your front skid shock spring tension on a Polaris makes a huge change even with 1-2 turns unlike the Ski-doo that it takes many turns to feel any difference. So if it feels "too heavy" or too "out of control" just take the time to play with this adjustment. I know too many guys who set it and forget it, when they should tune this to best suit them or the conditions.

You also need to know that you will be ridiculed by the Doo riders until you take lines they can only dream about.

Thanks for the heads up with suspension, actually looking forward to being able to make the sled do anything other than wheelie non stop.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Thanks for the heads up with suspension, actually looking forward to being able to make the sled do anything other than wheelie non stop.

Well this one is a Khaos so it may wheelie more than the RMK but guys on this site have said the shocks are so good that you can control this by adjustment. If not we do sell the couplers that definitely work. It will be my first Khaos this year too.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..

The small inner clicker adjustment on the Rear track shock is your wheelie control.

Right = Tighter = less wheelie
Left = Looser = more wheelie

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
-My main question to you is what do I need to know mechanically speaking about the Polaris, i.e. what are the main offenders, what needs frequent attention, maintenance, common problems? For example, I've read quite a bit about the 800 engine, engine mounts, and the wiring/relays just not sure if these are still issues in 2020. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
-Secondly, are there any stand out mods worth doing before the season starts? .
Thanks for the help and advise!
firehole,
Some good advice above, I would add one new product that most have not seen, but after I put it through crazy testing last year I highly recommend that everyone check this out:
The new DuraPro Magnetic Tether is simply a plug and play connection, easy to install, easiest to use, 100% water proof, and when you see and use it yourself you will see how perfect it actually works. The freeze proof design has consistent release from any angle and doesnt deteriorate with age (no rubber falling apart, brittle plastic or screw needed). You will be seeing much more about this in the coming months. I would get one ordered soon, while your at it they make the DuraPro ski dampers that are amazing as well. DuraPro doesnt make many different products but what they do they absolutely do it right.
Yes, Ive tried the new Polaris tether, it still freezes up on me and Im worried about the long term durability because of the plastic "fingers" that hold it on.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
firehole,
Some good advice above, I would add one new product that most have not seen, but after I put it through crazy testing last year I highly recommend that everyone check this out:
The new DuraPro Magnetic Tether is simply a plug and play connection, easy to install, easiest to use, 100% water proof, and when you see and use it yourself you will see how perfect it actually works. The freeze proof design has consistent release from any angle and doesnt deteriorate with age (no rubber falling apart, brittle plastic or screw needed). You will be seeing much more about this in the coming months. I would get one ordered soon, while your at it they make the DuraPro ski dampers that are amazing as well. DuraPro doesnt make many different products but what they do they absolutely do it right.
Yes, Ive tried the new Polaris tether, it still freezes up on me and Im worried about the long term durability because of the plastic "fingers" that hold it on.

If you think you like that you should try a Phantom Teth-Air. Forget the cord.

Premium Features