• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Jetting

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Just wondering what I should be doing with my jetting. I am riding an 06 KTM 525 and I have a Timbersled Mountain Horse kit on it. I am running the same jetting I use on dirt and I am riding very similar elevations as I do on dirt. After three rides on this kit I feel that my bike may not be performing as well as it should and feel that its related to jetting. I ride 3k-6k and pretty much have the throttle to the stop most of the time. Any suggestions?

T
Nov 24, 2010
I too have an 06 525. I converted mine last season with a 2moto kit. One thing I noticed was a lot less of that scary power that I had in the dirt. I attribute that to the huge increase in rotating mass that any snowbike conversion will have. In fact the Timbersled kit has even more mass than the 2moto. I almost sprung for the Timbersled kit this season but I didnt sell my M1000 which was my source for funding it.
Have you ridden any other snowbike kits before? Namely 2moto. The reason I ask is I would like to hear more comparisons between the 2 kits.
Since the snowhawk is no longer being produced, I think it is time for someone like KTM to step up to the plate and produce a "oneski" right out of the factory. Something like a lightweight fourstroke twin, definately EFI, hopefully with a turbo in the 100-120hp range.
I just like the idea of totally wearing myself out on the sidehills that the sleds cant touch and only burn a coup[le three gallon of gas.
I live in a small town in alaska and have the only snowbike in town. WHats great is I can find so many places to play that is simply not very ridable for a sled.

TeamOrange

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
I too have an 06 525. I converted mine last season with a 2moto kit. One thing I noticed was a lot less of that scary power that I had in the dirt. I attribute that to the huge increase in rotating mass that any snowbike conversion will have. In fact the Timbersled kit has even more mass than the 2moto. I almost sprung for the Timbersled kit this season but I didnt sell my M1000 which was my source for funding it.
Have you ridden any other snowbike kits before? Namely 2moto. The reason I ask is I would like to hear more comparisons between the 2 kits.
Since the snowhawk is no longer being produced, I think it is time for someone like KTM to step up to the plate and produce a "oneski" right out of the factory. Something like a lightweight fourstroke twin, definitely EFI, hopefully with a turbo in the 100-120hp range.
I just like the idea of totally wearing myself out on the sidehills that the sleds cant touch and only burn a coup[le three gallon of gas.
I live in a small town in alaska and have the only snowbike in town. WHats great is I can find so many places to play that is simply not very ridable for a sled.

TeamOrange

I found the same thing. might have been able to jet down a little, but the bike ran great. 06 525 with 2 moto kit.riding at 3 to 7K. The tracks just suck a lot of power.
There are several guys who are hawk riders that are well on the way to possibly creating a new machine, or at least reproducing something sim to the hawk..Ideally I think a small (600)2cy 2 st with the motor under the rider and a cvt is the ticket, a few eng. challenges there, but nothing good is easy..
I love my modded Hawk, But would like a little less weight and a little better fuel mileage..
If your near Anchorage there are several Hawk riders you might want to hook up with.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kennewick Wa
Fatten up!

Last year I traded a fellow a 600 Snow Hawk, for his YZ450 and 2Moto kit. While riding the bike around, it felt sluggish considering it was an all out race machine. When I questioned the original owner about the jetting he confirmed, way up from stock since most use was at WFO.

The Snow Hawk is in hiding from the original manufacturer till this economy blows over, and the wanters finally decide to anty up for the real deal. There's far too many of them fighting over the few that exhist on the used market. It makes me smile to see the seller asking far more then a similar aged Two Ski!:face-icon-small-win

No I did not convert to a snow bike conversion, just really wanted the customer to experience the real deal. I sold the Yamaha, it wernt the trail bike I wanted and have the kit listed here and many other places. Anything has a tough time selling these days, gave the YZ away for $2,500.00.

Last edited:
A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Here is my problem I am riding with a guy that has a new honda 450 and I can't even come close to climbing with him. His bike has way more track speed than mine and makes my 525 look like a joke. He is also 60lbs lighter than me and that bike is probably 30 lbs lighter than the 525 but it still seems like I should be able to hang with him.

As far as a comparison between the Mountain Horse and the 2moto I have never rode a 2moto but I did get the chance to ride with one last weekend and I was not impressed. I also ride with a guy that use to have a 2moto and got the Mountain Horse this season and he says its night and day. The problem with the 2moto is it doesn't have an approach angle so it just plows into the snow. These Mountain Horse kits get on top the snow and go really well.

I was going to sell my M1000 this season if I thought the Mountain Horse would replace my desire to ride a sled but they are just two different machines and both are so much fun to ride that I don't think I can sell the 1000.

So back to jetting if anything you guys think I need to put a bigger main in or just leave it. Here is how it runs on the dirt. Down low in elevation it runs good maybe even a little lean and when I get up around 6k it starts to sputter and sometimes even dies. In the snow I have had it cut out at full throttle several times and even die on me and its very common for it to die after I let off the gas on a hard full throttle pull.

Gary, you forgot to mention the Rmz that is about equal with the Honda. Also the ²moto was on a smaller bike, so its not a great comparison. The ²moto is drastically different to the timbersled, its like comparing a race sled to a mountain sled, each are fun in their environment.

Something sure doesn't seem right on his ktm though.

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
something to look at

Did you cover the air intakes with any type of snow screen? With no top on the mtn horse the snow is thrown around the air box and engine area alot.. You might be icing up the filter. I have rode alot of snowbikes and that is a very important thing to get done right is air intake screens. I know the one guy i rode with alot bought jet kits for all the bikes but i don't think they were anything different than dirt specs for each bike.

T
Nov 24, 2010
How is the snowhawk in hiding?
I love the hawk concept, but I just wish AD Boivin would go away and another manufacturer would produce something. I know the hawk guys love their skis but they also need a company that provides support and service.

The only reason I considered selling my M1000 is I figured Cat was going to introduce a new platform for 2012 and my sled will be the "old chassis" and woudn't be able to sell it for much.
As far as jetting goes, I installed a jd jet kit in the summer for dirt. In winter I ride from 1000 to 3000' and have never had an issue.
Ausm, you said your bike runs fine down low and sputters when you approach 6k then a larger main jet will worsen the problem. hope you get it figured out.

Teamorange

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
I guess I haven't seen your RMZ and Jerry's Honda doing any side by side comparisions yet. I will say though I can't believe that RMZ can wheelie over backwards, I can't even come close to doing that.

I agree that I probably don't need to go up in jetting with what I am saying but something doesn't seem right. I may try dropping a few jets and see what happens I just don't want to burn her down. This is way different riding than dirt too cause i am always in the main jet where on dirt I rarely get to hold the throttle to the stop.

F

FrozenMOTO

Jul 21, 2010
Moscow, Idaho
Your jetting is probably way off. My solution is that I just buy a JD jet kit for all of my bikes and jet it to their charts. Woke both of my ktms right up. Also makes the start and idle much better. You can also just buy some jets and experiment but I think it is worth it to just put in what someone gives you that already knows what will work. They also supply you will a cold weather needle which helps A LOT.

As a side note I am going to be producing a few final prototypes this year of FrozenMOTO Industries snow bike setup. We are base hear in Moscow, Idaho and I may give some people a great deal on kits if they want to do some testing for us. I haven't decided yet if we will only build us some kits or sell a few.

PM me if interested!

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
I am running a JD jetting kit and I remember them including a second needle but its been so long since I installed it. I better get the box back out and see what they recommend for cold weather.

F

FrozenMOTO

Jul 21, 2010
Moscow, Idaho
the blue needle is for really cold weather, I think below 30 degrees so many people never end up using it. It really made all the difference on my bikes when it gets cold. Also you my need a different pilot and main jet as well.

F

FrozenMOTO

Jul 21, 2010
Moscow, Idaho
Lots, unfortunately no patent yet. I will be working on getting a patent pending the first of the year. Seems like the last one only took a few weeks to go through and then I can show you all some pics, at least renders of the design until we get the prototypes done. I figure the actual prototypes will take about a month to finish and if we start the middle of January we should have them done and ready to rock buy mid to late February. We will then do some private testing for at least a few weeks to a month on this new design before we let anyone else try it, make sure they are sound. The new design is radically different than all the others I have tried, in fact this is prototype number 9, I didn't want to release something to the market unless I thought it was REALLY good and this one looks real good.

We our only planning to have one or two actual public demos this spring, we will make sure everyone knows in advance when a where they are long before we have them. But if you are local or get hold of me later this spring we may be able to work it out were you can meet us and ride then to get a little more ride time.

Premium Features