• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Island Park Adventures

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
Looking at renting sleds from this place in another month.

Can any decent riding be accessed from the rental place? Or would I need to trailer the sleds?

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
How far are you comfortable riding trail? It's quite a ways back if you want to get to the goods IMHO. I'd trailer personally, but I've seen all the trails out there already.

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
How far are you comfortable riding trail? It's quite a ways back if you want to get to the goods IMHO. I'd trailer personally, but I've seen all the trails out there already.

you might want to consider
they will put you MUCH closer to the best mountain riding.

The rest of the story is -We are renting a cabin IP, it's right by The Pines; and ideally would like to ride the sleds (from the rental place) to the place we are staying, and ride sleds to the riding area.

I'm experienced, but going with a buddy who is not and his 14 year old son. I'm sure these 2 will be happy on just trails; ideally would like to find a few open / easy play areas. I'm going with expectations of hanging with my buddy and his kid, just getting out and having fun with them. So no need to ride way back to the goods.

But just out of curiosity, how many miles is way back?

Easy enough to ride sleds from IP Adventures and riding to, let's just say The Pines? Should I change the rental to High Mountain?

Appreciate any suggestions you guys have based on the rest of the story.

thx!

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
If high mountainrentals is by sawtelle, that the one i would go with. Might bee 7 or 8 mile ride from pines. All the good riding is up on sawtelle or Jefferson but guessing that is out of their league. It is also tracked out, rutted out and trampled at moment. Take them towards big springs or black canyon or somewhere else

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
If high mountainrentals is by sawtelle, that the one i would go with. Might bee 7 or 8 mile ride from pines. All the good riding is up on sawtelle or Jefferson but guessing that is out of their league. It is also tracked out, rutted out and trampled at moment. Take them towards big springs or black canyon or somewhere else
In other words, its in pretty normal Mid-Winter condition!:)

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Easy enough to ride sleds from IP Adventures and riding to, let's just say The Pines? Should I change the rental to High Mountain?
Give or take a mile or two, they are Equi-Distant.
Dig out your map of the IP Trail Network and find the BLACK CANYON LOOP.
With a little bit of luck you will find good snow and mixed terrain that will be just fine for trail riders wanting a taste of mountain riding without any serious risk of hazard.

Premium Features