• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Island Park 19/20 conditions

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
There is plenty of snow up high, but it rained last night and there is a very clear quarter inch layer of ice on top of all the snow below about 7,500ft.
f7dd071f9f631b12561497f6c99bf4d9.jpg

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
yeah, I went up Thursday, was pretty decent.. average for this time of year, I'd say, but the place got tracked up pretty good from all the winterfest crowd last week. Another good size storm needed to reload and fill in the tracks

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Friday was OKAY up high.
Saturday EVERYTHING WAS COVERED IN ICE.
It had rained on Black Canyon overnight and there was a thin layer of ice on top of everything.
It was CRUNCH CITY all day long.
Sunday looked like new snow was coming down as we were leaving.

Current forecast says there will be TWO snow events this week.
Don't know if the freezing rain made it over onto Jefferson or not.
If it did, we are going to have some UGLY AVALANCHE conditions as that ice will create a NASTLY bonding layer.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Island Park should be picking up some new fresh snow this week.

forcast.png

In the Rockies, my chase card is watching the Tetons and Wasatch for Monday night. Moderate snow is likely for 1st chair or tram in both locations. Winds favor the Wasatch (4-7 inches for Monday morning) but moisture is heavier over the Tetons with decent westerly winds (Good for JHMR). My gut tells me that JHMR scores 5-8 inches by 10 AM Monday. Lighter snow is likely in western Colorado especially north towards Steamboat where 2-5 inches might fall. Generally 2-4 inches are likely elsewhere perhaps higher towards the western corridor of I-70 (Aspen, Sunlight). The Good: Overnight snow with a nice refresh for Monday morning. The Bad: Not overly deep, fast moving.

A 2nd system approaches the Rockies midweek.
That system is likely to land a slightly stronger trough for the northern Rockies favoring the Tetons, Wasatch and northern Colorado for Wednesday (4-9 additional). Between the fast moving system Monday and this midweek storm some locations will have weekly totals in the 6-12 inch range (No single double digit overnight or 12 hour dump).

BirdmanID

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2019
Idaho falls
Was snowing hard on my drive home yesterday from bozeman to idaho falls. A lot of the sled tracks near the highway were looking filled in, but the rain/ice from earlier this week is bad news.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
We might have picked up six inches yesterday, hard to tell as the winds picked up last evening and displaced most of it. As of this morning the area is pretty trashed, wind was pushing hard last night, and still blowing pretty good this morning.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
We might have picked up six inches yesterday, hard to tell as the winds picked up last evening and displaced most of it. As of this morning the area is pretty trashed, wind was pushing hard last night, and still blowing pretty good this morning.
Same down here in the valley
Lots of new snow.
But LOTS OF WIND and drifting.
All the schools in the valley are closed today.

papafinger1

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2007
minnesota
Same down here in the valley
Lots of new snow.
But LOTS OF WIND and drifting.
All the schools in the valley are closed today.

Will be in the area riding on Tuesday. Hope the forecast holds true and gives us a reset. Save me some fresh lines please!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
EPIC ALERT- 12-18 INCHES LIKLEY FOR IDAHO

SUMMARY
As one storm departs the Rockies, another is on it's heals for mid to late this week. The departing storm nailed south-central Montana with a 29-inch dump in 48 hours. The next series of storms will favor Montana, West-Central Montana, Tetons, North-Central Colorado and to some extent the Wasatch. Significant snow will be falling by Wednesday night-Friday at many ski areas in the West.

FORECAST
The next storm to impact the Rockies will deliver warmer temps (Snow at lower elevations could be a bit creamy at some ski areas) and a healthy dose of pow to a broad area of the Rockies. This will be a significant event for many ski areas. Things get active in western Idaho (Brundage, Tamarack) Wednesday- Thursday and migrate over to central and southern Montana (Bridger and Big Sky), Tetons and the Wasatch by late Wednesday night into Thursday. 10-18 inches are likely for many of these areas by late Thursday. It's too early to speculate on who will see the highest amounts (Looks like a fairly even spread).

Premium Features